Synology DSM 4 BETA

Soldato
Just to give everyone a heads up the new DSM 4 BETA is live.

Cloud Station syncs files between your computers and DiskStation automatically.

ezCloud makes file access on your DiskStation over the Internet much easier!

The user experience is significantly improved.

Installed it this morning and so far really liking it.

Soldato
Looks good thanks! Downloading now. :)

So am I right in thinking you now download the apps separately for what you want to use. i.e. I like to stream Audio, so I'd install just install the Audio Station app?

I currently use Data Replicator 3 for backup from my PC and to sync files. The whole "cloud" talk has me confused. Will the Cloud Station replace this? It's OK if you don't know. :)

Cheers.

EDIT: Also see there is an app called HiDriveBackup.... do I need that? :o

Soldato
OP
Looks good thanks! Downloading now. :)

So am I right in thinking you now download the apps separately for what you want to use. i.e. I like to stream Audio, so I'd install just install the Audio Station app?

I currently use Data Replicator 3 for backup from my PC and to sync files. The whole "cloud" talk has me confused. Will the Cloud Station replace this? It's OK if you don't know. :)

Cheers.

EDIT: Also see there is an app called HiDriveBackup.... do I need that? :o

Yes you only download 'apps' for what you want to use. When I installed it though it automatically installed teh apps for the services I already use ie audio station etc

What I have understood is that you download the cloud software to your pc and presumably select which files/folders to keep backed up and it automatically keeps them insync. This would mean everything is backed up and everyone is using the latest uptodate version of docs etc

Permissions would be vital though as presumably you delete a file on one pc and it removes it across the cloud? Not sure

Associate
I'm not going to test it just now as I've got a movie night coming up and there'll be lots of streaming, but I'd like to know more about this ezCloud/QuickConnect thing. At the moment I can't get into my unit from work as I get a 111 (tunnelling error) which I'm assuming is because of our proxy. Any info on how this zero-config system works?

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. :)

Just to say, after the update it kept the apps I used as stated. Only extra is the AV I've added.

So far, loving it! But I haven't played around much.

Thanks! :)

Soldato
OP
What are peoples thoughts a month in?

I am really loving the update, not found any bugs yet either but I ahve fairly low demands of it.

On a side note just migrated to a DS212 which was mega eays and loving the new unit.

Soldato
I like the new update even with the bugs and there are a fair few of them.
Like if you copy a mp4 video in to the photo folder it will try to convert it to(wait for it)mp4 :(

It is a beta so there will be lots of bugs.

Soldato
OP
That's cool. I haven't noticed that as at the moment my use is a simple backup and occasional stream to my htpc. I really like it though. Is there a way to pin the resource monitor to the opening windows with drive health monitor etc?

Soldato
That's cool. I haven't noticed that as at the moment my use is a simple backup and occasional stream to my htpc. I really like it though. Is there a way to pin the resource monitor to the opening windows with drive health monitor etc?

You could use the synology assistant, why not use the DS Finder app then you can check the Nas from anywhere.

Oh and make sure you have updated the synology assistant when you updated the os

Soldato
Well the top ones for me is the firewall not working and if I move a mp4 in to a new folder in the photo folder all is ok
but if I use synology assistant it tries to convert it!

My HDs won't go to sleep and if they do they wake up after 5 mins. Photo station creating thumbnails and a few more.

I was going to put mail station today but because the firewall is not working I can't. More here

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=197

Soldato
A new update has been posted 4.0-2198

edit=The firewall problem has gone but I,m trying to read the router system config with no luck :(
Anybody else having the router system config problem?

edit 2=If anyone is having problems signing in don't use a password or it will block it if you have block switched on
if you are having problems signing into photo station then stop photo station then restart it.

Bored now of testing will wait for another update.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having a few little annoying issues when moving files around, and with download station. Also the interface seems very slow.

I've had to reboot my device a few times... Wish I had waited for the final release.

Back
Top Bottom