Almost Titanic 2

Soldato
It's a flippin huge gash but even if it holed more than 1 compartment those should still have been sealed. You'd expect the engineers to have some sort of grasp of damage control at least. Like I say it's not going to have damage control like a warship but there's been no mention of the crew at least trying to stop the flooding.

Caporegime
It's a flippin huge gash but even if it holed more than 1 compartment those should still have been sealed. You'd expect the engineers to have some sort of grasp of damage control at least. Like I say it's not going to have damage control like a warship but there's been no mention of the crew at least trying to stop the flooding.

I don't think the crew were well versed on "What to do if the idiot caption steers the ship into a rock them promptly buggers off to catch a taxi home".

Soldato
I've seen bigger gashes. :o

And I'll bet you could have cartwheeled in & out of those as well.

wordy said:

The line I work for owned the MV Tricolor,a car carrier that was lost following a collision in the English Channel during 2002. When I was at sea between August and December, the chief engineer of the vessel I was on, Tortugas knew the chief engineer aboard Tricolor during the disaster, and he described a torrent of water so strong flooding into the engine room that there simply wasn't possible to close watertight doors. The water will literally gush into a hole below the water line with pretty much the entire weight of the ocean behind it. There's no stopping it unless it's a relatively small hole, and anyone going down into it to play heroics is going to get taken off their feet and drowned in it. There's only so much you can do. And besides, on Tortugas at least, the engine room was entirely open plan across several decks, save a pair of fireproof doors between the steering gear room, and up out of the funnel stack and into the main no.5 car deck. Compartmentalisation on commercial ships is minimal when compared to a warship, and besides, warships will keep watertight doors closed when going to general quarters, ready for combat, rather than trying to wrest them shut after the vessel is holed.

Last edited:
Associate
The ship hit the rocks at 2000. It was not until 0000 that the ship rolled over, and evacuation became infinitely more difficult.

I think the performance standard for full evacuation is 30minutes for a passenger ship, and if this had started soon after the ship the rocks it could have been achievable, as the sea was calm.

After the hull was holed the Captain should have realised the gravity of the situation, and commenced evacuation there and then. But he didn't with fatal consequences for some.

Man of Honour
The ship hit the rocks at 2000. It was not until 0000 that the ship rolled over, and evacuation became infinitely more difficult.

I think the performance standard for full evacuation is 30minutes for a passenger ship, and if this had started soon after the ship the rocks it could have been achievable, as the sea was calm.

After the hull was holed the Captain should have realised the gravity of the situation, and commenced evacuation there and then. But he didn't with fatal consequences for some.

timeline here

(taken from fadetoblack's link http://www.themysteryworld.com/2012/01/inside-sinking-costa-concordia-cruise.html )

EDIT: hmm, says only 5 minutes from hitting the rocks to the power going off.. thought it was longer than that?

Last edited:
Associate
Is this ship a complete write off now?

I saw this ship in port in Barcelona last year next to its sister ship the Deliziosa (sp)

Quite sad really, not just for the loss of life but maybe the end of line for the ship too

Associate
A good Dutch salvage team may be able to remove her in one piece. The oil must be removed - check the side on which the ship is lying for damage - replate the hole on the seaward side - pump out the water and hopefully rebalance the ship. It is unfortunate there is not a nice sandy bottom on which she could be temporarily rested and checked over. Everything at present is uncertain.

Soldato
What would have been in the area in which the hull was ripped into?

Engines possibly.

This has been posted on BBC

_57934918_costa_concordia_salvage_624in.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know if above image would work. They would have no where to attach the anchor cable.

I am sure they have said the ship is resting on an edge, where its at risk of falling down a 100m drop?

Back
Top Bottom