• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Burnt My Graphics Card To Death?

Associate
OP
Yeah i wasn't taking any risks, new card hasn't been put in yet, do you think i need a PSU upgrade then? or can i get a converter for another power cable?

I have 4 hard drives, one dvd drive, sound card and a couple of fans.

Again many thanks for the help! :)

Soldato
you need a 500watt min power supply for that HD 6850

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...6850/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#3

You are going to have to check for a new PSU mate with atleast 2 x 6pin PCI-E power cables , they can be 2 x 8 pin cables too because normally they come apart to make them 6 pin or 8 pin.

Stick your Corsair 430 watt supply on the Members Market here mate when you get a new one, that way you get some of your money back on that PSU. I'm sure someone will like that PSU for a small system they have running or HTPC.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The XFX one on This Week Only has 2!

And they are at the side, not sure why its got two, but i thought it was going to have one :(

Anyway thanks Purgatory, will give a new PSU a go and sell on MM if i get this damn thing to work :S

Soldato
Purgatory has a point but...

the recommended psu is 500w, but does that mean any 500w?
As surely a Corsair CX 430w qill be better than some cheapo 500w Chinese rip off?
A HD 6850 draws 229w at full consumption, so its upto you.
In an ideal world, you should get a better psu. but imo (probably shot down over this) its worth a try.
I used to run a HD 4770 on a generic 230w psu and i had no problems.
But as i said, its upto you

also you can get molex to 6 pin pci-e power cables

and try this psu calculator http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
heh glad you had a happy ending mate :)

Ha not quite yet, its not working! :p

So i used that calculator and it says 357W so 430 seems reasonable? Especially if its a good PSU.

Does a card like this need 2 PCI-E 6 pin power cables to be plugged in? What happens if I plug one 6 pin in? Will it DIE?

My PSU has 28A on the 12 V rail if that makes any difference...

Last edited:
Soldato
If it has 2 connections, then i would plug 2 in.
you can get those molex to 6 pin pci-e connectors for a couple of pounds,
i have even got them with a new graphics card before.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
With only a Athlon X2 5000+, the 6850 will get seriously bottlenecked.

Just spend something like £25~£40 and get a 2nd hand 8800GT/9800GT~5770 1GB.

Or, if you are thinking of upgrading your CPU or system in the forseeable future then it may be good to get the 6850. Otherwise, I agree with Marine.

@ Marine, what if you overclocked the snot out of the dual AMD CPU?. Do you think that would help?. My dual core E2xxx something @ 3.2Ghz was ok for quite a lot of games. Mind you this was only powering a HD4870 :D.

Associate
OP
Already bought the 6850 abarth, and finally got im back in business using a power adapter, all seems running well ive tried only DiRT3 and bioshock 2 all run sweet on max, will test on something bit more intensive soon.

Will most likely upgrade mobo/cpu/ram at some point soon anyway.

But thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom