Over 370,000 immigrants are on benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Okay, so let's say I'm insulted by apostrophe abuse. Should that be banned from the forum? (of course it should be banned, just not because I find it offensive.)

"Offensive" and "insulting" are context sensitive.

Indeed they are. But Dons and Underbosses get to set the context. We have rules to follow, and you've been told outright by an underboss that it is deemed an insult

Caporegime
I am a dual national.....British father, American mother. I grew up in both countries.....born in the UK, spent much of my later childhood and teenage years in the US and came back to the UK when I was 15 or so.....I hold a far greater loyality to the UK because of personal reasons, but maybe patriotism is too strong a word for how I feel about the US....I feel a bond to the country because part of my culture is uniquely American, and I feel a certain loyality to that culture.....although a far greater one to the UK mainly because of the opportunities the UK offered over the United States....partly due to the values and social idealism in this country that simply doesn't exist in the US as a whole.

Likewise, British mother, South African father.

I see the good things in both countries, and the bad things as well. As such I feel not an iota of loyalty or pride in either. Just how my brain is wired I guess.

Permabanned
That won't go down well.

I agree with the second part, yourself added if you're meaning on these forums ;)

Ah, but I didn't say who! I could be refering to NathWraith who is the son of the owner of Esnet Limited. NathWraith has made a few racist comments that I've seen. If some one doesn't want to be called racist, they shouldn't say things that are racist.

This, I did not know, could you provide any links?

Now this is something that wouldn't go down well. :p

Indeed they are. But Dons and Underbosses get to set the context. We have rules to follow, and you've been told outright by an underboss that it is deemed an insult

While that's true because it's what's practised, to me it doesn't change anything.

Associate
Regardless of what anyone thinks of DD's points of view, there is always a lively debate on his posts.
Plus you have to have someone with a different point of view, otherwise you would have nothing to debate.

Permabanned
I think it is cheeky to immigrant to another country and then when the countries own inhabitants are not happy about the influx of other cultures is having on their own, go on to call them racist.

When i was in South Africa, a large portion of the syllabus was african culture based. You have to learn about the african culture and learn to respect and appreciate it. It is a shame the immigrants that come to britian don't bring the same sort of respect.

Soldato
I think it is cheeky to immigrant to another country and then when the countries own inhabitants are not happy about the influx of other cultures is having on their own, go on to call them racist.

When i was in South Africa, a large portion of the syllabus was african culture based. You have to learn about the african culture and learn to respect and appreciate it. It is a shame the immigrants that come to britian don't bring the same sort of respect.

Source?

Permabanned
Likewise, British mother, South African father.

I see the good things in both countries, and the bad things as well. As such I feel not an iota of loyalty or pride in either. Just how my brain is wired I guess.

Quite, I see good and bad in both also....each to their own, which is one of the reasons I feel such a connection and a loyality to the UK, because collectively it upholds yours and my right to hold those different viewpoints without fear or discrimination.....

And that is the basis of my patriotism, loyality to those collective ideals which the UK embodies, both in Law and Morally. I think that is something worth defending, be it external or internal.

And that is why I do not agree that patriotism is idiotic.....misplaced patriotism, blind loyality or devotion and jingoism are idiotic....but patriotism in itself is a matter for the individual and before assessing the merits of an individuals patriotism you must first understand their reasons.....and we need to move away from this idea that nationalism and patriotism are bound to xenophobia and arbitrary demarcations....it is about a persons emotions and feelings of loyality to a collective identity, not merely a loyality to marks on a map or geographical position.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, but I didn't say who! I could be refering to NathWraith who is the son of the owner of Esnet Limited. NathWraith has made a few racist comments that I've seen. If some one doesn't want to be called racist, they shouldn't say things that are racist.

It's no surprise really is it? Considering we know how some people who are "in charge" share the same view points anyway.

You know very well who you're referring to :p

Permabanned
kylew you are always moaning about what people say on here, you are the worst kind of liberal the kind that tries to silence debate and discussion that you disagree with. Now you are making claims about the owners ideals. That is pretty outlandish imo.

How am I trying to silence debate and discussion? Are you even aware of what you're typing? If I was trying to silence debate and discussion I'd be going around RTMing posts of people who I disagree with. Are you that deluded? Can you not see me having in depth civil discussions with Castiel and others? Have you noticed how not once have I or castiel went "NO WRONG WRONG SHUT UP"? We are both aware that we are both expressing our own subjective viewpoints. Stop indulging in such ridiculous arsetalkery.

But that's not what's happened. Are you aware of what a strawman argument is?

Okay? That's only really relevant to school age immigrants, who do go to school here anyway, so what's the problem? If I moved to South Africa, their syllabus would be just as meaningless because I wouldn't be going to school.

Permabanned
If they respected british culture they would adapt to it and not try to inflict their own culture on it. If you move to another land you should take on the ideals of that land. In my opinion to not do so is a bit disrespectful.

Of course what you want to do in your home is you own choice.

Look an example, when i went to Doha, there was a digital sign as i walked in to the mall, saying that as a sign of respect please wear modest clothing, which was advised as not showing shoulders and knees. As a sign of respect i would not wear any short shorts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How am I trying to silence debate and discussion? Are you even aware of what you're typing? If I was trying to silence debate and discussion I'd be going around RTMing posts of people who I disagree with. Are you that deluded? Can you not see me having in depth civil discussions with Castiel and others? Have you noticed how not once have I or castiel went "NO WRONG WRONG SHUT UP"? We are both aware that we are both expressing our own subjective viewpoints. Stop indulging in such ridiculous arsetalkery.

But that's not what's happened. Are you aware of what a strawman argument is?

Okay? That's only really relevant to school age immigrants, who do go to school here anyway, so what's the problem? If I moved to South Africa, their syllabus would be just as meaningless because I wouldn't be going to school.

You obviously lack the capability to discuss this sort of topic without getting worked up and resorting to childish insults. To call people deluded and stupid are ad hominem attacks and it is pathetic.

Permabanned
If they respected british culture they would adapt to it and not try to inflict their own culture on it. If you move to another land you should take on the ideals of that land. In my opinion to not do so is a bit disrespectful.

Of course what you want to do in your home is you own choice.

Look an example, when i went to Doha, there was a digital sign saying that as a sign of respect please wear modest clothing, which was advised as not showing shoulders and knees. As a sign of respect i would not wear any short shorts.

So why are you disrespectful to the Queen's English by typing in broken English? Why should an immigrant forget their culture and only do what's deemed "okay" or "British"? Should be they forced to drink tea with digestive biscuits to make sure they are adapting to the culture whether they like tea with digestive biscuits? I'm guessing you also believe they should be forbade from speaking their own languages at all times too right? Why not just go the whole way and insist on them using skin bleaching cream to make sure they fit in just that bit more if they're "darkies".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom