Going Paperless

Associate
Now I have access to a very posh scanner at work with a feeder :D - I'm thinking of going paperless, and dramatically reducing all the bills/statements/documents I have kept over the years. (with one button press I could go paperless one lunchtime!)

Has anyone done this ?

My aim is to store them using Dropbox or similar so I can get at everything from anywhere, and to bin the 6 or 7 huuuge ring binders I have taking up space.

Will keeping electronic copies of documents companies have posted me still count as a legal. i.e if I had to produce a letter a company wrote to me as proof of something - will an electronic version still count?

Are there any serious downsides to this ?

Caporegime
I've pretty much done it

Never had any issues with printed versions for ID purposes/utility bils etc.

I don't store anything on line in a single place like drop box though... JUST in case someone gets into it, that would be a real liability in my opinion.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't go shredding things like birth certificate and counterpart driving licence just yet

Yes, I hadn't planned on shredding everything :D

Car log book can be added to that list too.

I've pretty much done it

Never had any issues with printed versions for ID purposes/utility bils etc.

I don't store anything on line in a single place like drop box though... JUST in case someone gets into it, that would be a real liability in my opinion.

Dropbox boasts a very good encryption system. I do take your point though. Thanks

Soldato
You'll be needing a ScapScan to get those documents scanned. Even better is the software works with cloud services like Evernote.

I wouldn't store all my docs in the cloud and DropBox did have an issue with security recently.

Soldato
I wouldn't store it in the cloud, but being young enough (20), that most things are paperless when I had to start using them, I go paperless. I still have a folder of stuff, however the majority of stuff is paperless (bank statements bills etc....) no issue really...

kd

Back
Top Bottom