Samsung PS51D6900 vs Panasonic TX-P50GT30

Associate
Trying to decide between these two. Any thoughts regarding which to go for?

The Panasonic is quite a bit more expensive but would come with a 5 year guarantee, 2 sets of glasses and a 3d blu-ray player.

I know the Samsung plays MKV's and the Panasonic lets you record to USB.

I'm finding it hard to decide between the two as they both seem to have good reviews.

ntg

ntg

Associate
I would suggest you look a bit into Samsung's "buzzing" issue and see if it applies to the model you're thinking of getting.

I got the 59D6900 which I believe allows you to write to a hard disk (Via usb connection), so it's worth checking the online manual for the 51D6900 about it.

From what I've seen the Panasonic's are better than Samsung's overall hence they cost quite a bit more, I think the only issue they've got is with pure black (someone will correct me)? I'd rather have that than the buzzing..

Soldato
The Panasonic will let you watch mkvs off a usb pen or such as well - something I wish my 50v20 did!

I would go and try to see both in store somewhere - you might be able to in central London somewhere at one of the big department stores like John Lewis for instance.

Caporegime
Definitely go and see both of them in action if you can. I bought the 50" GT30 from John Lewis back in Oct but had to return it as it suffered from the green blob/tinge issue as its been widely reported on avforums. I wanted to get it replaced with another 50" version but sadly John Lewis didnt have any in stock and didnt know when they would be getting anymore in.

In the end i settled for the 46" GT30 version which was perfect, slightly smaller than the 50" but i actually think it suits my front room than the 50", the 50" tbh looked a bit too big. With John Lewis i got a 5 yr guarantee, 2 pairs of 3d glasses plus a 3d blu ray player. Also got some vouchers for Avatar 3D and the Star wars collection on blu ray..think it was part of the panasonic giveaway they were doing at the time.

Picture is quality on the 46" GT30 and 3D is pretty damn cool too.

Permabanned
Panasonic generally make the best plasma's. (Alll the Pioneer engineers went there after they stopped doing TV's) though as Spawn says you may have to contend with the 'green blob' issue.
If you don't need recording to hard drive you may want to consider the ST30 which for the price you get it is probably the best value/quality TV around.

Associate
OP
I went to House of Fraser to check if they had the 50GT30 which they did for £1215, however, they were not doing it with the 3d blu ray player anymore. I want to check John Lewis to see if they are doing that deal still.

I'm also waiting on JL to see if they will price match the PS51D6900.

As for the 50ST30, what are the main differences that result in that large price difference?

Soldato
Panasonic have stopped doing the deal now as stock is low, you should get the 2pairs of specs tho.

pretty much most of Panasonic stuff is end of line, all leds have been discontinued, plasmas at the mo are still available but be quick.

Associate
OP
Panasonic have stopped doing the deal now as stock is low, you should get the 2pairs of specs tho.

pretty much most of Panasonic stuff is end of line, all leds have been discontinued, plasmas at the mo are still available but be quick.

Is it worth waiting for the new models to hit the market?

Associate
OP
Ah thanks very much. Did JL agree to a 5yr warranty? If so, fair play you because a 2 yr on PRC totals the PS51D6900 to £953. How the heck did you wangle that :p

All there TV's come with the 5 year guarantee so they still honour that.

In fact, the PS51D6900 is now £799 at PRC Direct.

Associate
How did it go with the price match. Did JL match at 800 pounds?
I'm on the look out for a new tv and if JL price match ok I think I may go for the Samsung PS51

Associate
JL got back to me this afternoon and agreed to price match it to £799. I can either ring the number provided and give the reference number or order it online and retrospectively claim cashback. Can't go and buy it in person though.

It's incredibly tempting.

EDIT: They do take 5 days to get back to you, so ping them a request now and then you've got 5 days to mull it over. I'm still deciding.

Associate
PRC price is now up at £1200 so cant do the price match now :(
Found it elsewhere online @ £800 but it is from an online only store. I submitted a price match request but they will probably reject it.

Associate
JL got back to me this afternoon and agreed to price match it to £799. I can either ring the number provided and give the reference number or order it online and retrospectively claim cashback. Can't go and buy it in person though.

It's incredibly tempting.

EDIT: They do take 5 days to get back to you, so ping them a request now and then you've got 5 days to mull it over. I'm still deciding.

Just got my price match from JL @ 799 :D
Not sure if I want to pull the trigger or go for one of the 60" LG's though.
Desicions, decisions.

Associate
If someone doesn't go for the JL price match is it possible for someone else to use the reference number or will that not work?
If not I will have to wait until somewhere else does it cheap again then try the price match again.

Back
Top Bottom