why megaupload was shut down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It's not a hard concept. It's very simple. Also aren't there already such sites for unsigned bands.
Its not the reason at all. Anyone with a bit of money can build such a site and there's nothing the music industry could do.

Why do it for that reasons? It's well known they want such sites shut down anyway and they seem to have the evidence needed.

I was talking specifically about Mega Upload. :)

Capodecina
Soldato
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

Makes sense now the big music mafia was facing a massive drop in legal revenue.
You are having a laugh, aren't you?

Wikipedia said:
Kim Dotcom (born Kim Schmitz January 21, 1974), also known as Kimble and Kim Tim Jim Vestor, is a German-Finnish[6] computer programmer and businessman who generated much publicity during the dot-com bubble and was convicted of insider trading, and embezzlement in its aftermath.

He is also known as the founder of Megaupload and associated sites. On January 20, 2012, he was placed in the custody of the New Zealand police under charges of criminal copyright infringement related to the Megaupload site.
It is damned hard to believe that Mr Schitz is really some Robin Hood character, determined selflessly to save us all from the wickedness of the film & music industry. He is alleged to have earned over $40 million from his internet activities in 2010.

If you want to listen, play or watch - pay the piper, don't steal the fruits of his labour.

Man of Honour
I was talking specifically about Mega Upload. :)

I know, but what I'm assaying is why would they shut them down becuase of mega box.
It's not a hard concept. There's already loads of unsigned band websites. Although not sure if they get paid.
On top of that they want such sites shut down for copyright which is what it was shut down for.

Soldato
It would seem that they had a 'dirty rat' they may have been breaking the law for years, and when I say breaking the law, I do not mean they didn't act fast enough to delete a file that was reported to them that breached some DMCA or whatever, True, they have ignored a certain user that used their servers for reasons that would be considered less than savory. But a)it seemed that the law enforcinng angencies were primed and ready, to wait for what they thought would be the easy passing of certain laws that portects IP, what they never banked on is, the internet, and the fine tooth comb that they would apply, and the likes of google, and the like making sure the general public aware of civil liberties being eroded, as easily as salt in water.

What really makes me laugh, is that they have attacked websites that share files stores, but torrents? Usenet? One protocol I think they can not effect is torrents, especially with encryption. And usenet also. They can **** down the more popular index sites, but for every one that goes down, another 2 pop up. It is Known.

Soldato
Whilst we're on the subject of Copyright does Spie have permission to use Godfather imagery on this forum? :confused:

This is a very good point, that will not only crush this thread, it might mean a consolidated law suit from Scorsese and Coppola. Say goodbye to all mods, admins and underboss. Even the Roman Empire fell. From the ruins greatness will rise.

Caporegime
This is a very good point, that will not only crush this thread, it might mean a consolidated law suit from Scorsese and Coppola. Say goodbye to all mods, admins and underboss. Even the Roman Empire fell. From the ruins greatness will rise.

Well the way things are going we'll all log in one morning and there'll be a big FBI notice, Spie will get extradited and OCUK will go under. :(

Soldato
Well the way things are going we'll all log in one morning and there'll be a big FBI notice, Spie will get extradited and OCUK will go under. :(

I for one, can not wait to wake up with a huge tattoo on my forehead that reads processed. Also, this guy you call Spie, he is next, right after Redknapp senior, wonder what his dogs name is, and the year he was born? :confused:

Soldato

Or he'll receive a cease and desist letter and remove them. Exactly what should happen if the images aren't licensed.

As for Megaupload I don't really understand anyone who defends them. Unless they are a pirate....

Soldato
Or he'll receive a cease and desist letter and remove them. Exactly what should happen if the images aren't licensed.

As for Megaupload I don't really understand anyone who defends them. Unless they are a pirate....

lol, a completely legitimate business model what removed content where DMCA was invoked, and complained against, decimated overnight, without any long term thought on how it could effect the US economy, what makes me laugh, all this attention on webistes tha allow you to upload files, but complete ignoreing of Torrents and Usenet, Shows you that they can not shut down exactly what they want.

Last edited:
Caporegime
lol, a completely legitimate business model what removed content where DMCA was invoked, and complained against, decimated overnight, without any long term thought on how it could effect the US economy, what makes me laugh, all this attention on webistes tha allow you to upload files, but complete ignoreing of Torrents and Usenet, Shows you that they can not shut down exactly what they want.

No, not really, its not the users of torrents they want, its the MONEY. MU has, I forget the figure, I don't think it was 4billion a year, 4 billion since they started, something, they are HUGE and the RIAA and all those see that as money they've lost.

They went after a money making website who they can sue and fine to the tune of hundreds of millions.

You go after a torrent website, few if any are really making any money at all.

Usenet providers make money, but you could be downloading completely legal stuff, or illegal, and again because they are paid the DCMA guys have come down on US based usenet providers hard to remove certain content(mainly HBO but other film studios as well).

It's not about targeting all piracy, its about targeting those you can recoup money from.

You pick profitable targets and the most mainstream and loud targets because ultimately you want some money and to keep "average joe" from downloading.

As for if anyone will miss megaupload, they really won't, there are 5 sites identical to it, and anyone that wanted to upload or download something simply goes to a different URL now.

You might use something every day dozens of times, but once it disappears you'll replace it in a heartbeat and never notice the difference.

Hell, Newzbin and Newzbin2 surely prove this, different guy, overnight the site was replaced and no one gave a damn, no one would have given a damn if the site had a different name or a different layout.

THeres just about nothing unique on the internet, lose one, there are already a dozen replacements and when a "big" site goes down not only are there already copies of it, people see it as a chance to fill the void left by a company so you'll get a couple new uploading sites pop up to try and replace them anyway.

ANyway, if your site hosts massive amounts of illegal content, you're better off making a small profit than trying to become the biggest, the biggest and raking in the most money automatically becomes the biggest target.

Also don't forget that with Torrents, the data isn't held on servers, again Megaupload doesn't have that to fall back on, they at any given time have so much copyrighted stuff uploaded there its a joke.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol, a completely legitimate business model

Do you really believe Megaupload was a completely legitimate business?

Do you think if infringed material keeps going up and down this is acceptable?

The torrent sites will be pursued. And rightly so.

Soldato
Do you really believe Megaupload was a completely legitimate business?

Do you think if infringed material keeps going up and down this is acceptable?

The torrent sites will be pursued. And rightly so.

I used to frequent the football forum on matchday, so I will not respond DM's wall of text that provides no logic.

Do I believe Megaupload was legitimate business, I don't know. It is not down to me to make a judgement, what I do know, the way US feds hs acted via interpol is dispicable. Megaupload provided means that a lot of people used completely legitimatly, and just because of the say so of a foreign government, I am no longer able access documents I uploaded there. Usenet will happen forever, private trackers also, the entertainment industry need to re-think their business model. Ever since theinternet happened they attacked with law suits, rather than adapt with it, Now firms that adapted with it are making a profit a slight profit, as the major studios do not trust digital distribution. Neither would I if my content was rubbish.

Permabanned
They never complied with DMCA whatsoever. Each file had thousands of links to it and MU would only remove the particular link that was reported, leaving the file and all the other links active. If specified they are required by law to remove them all, they never.

Soldato
They never complied with DMCA whatsoever. Each file had thousands of links to it and MU would only remove the particular link that was reported, leaving the file and all the other links active. If specified they are required by law to remove them all, they never.

Well that is hearsay. What I have heard is that they pro-actively reacted DCMA's filed. Of course, that could be rubbish, anyhow the business model they run their model on is 100% legal, They use the same critera as Youtube regarding copyright infringement. Could you ever imagine youtube taken down the way Mega upload was?

Caporegime
It wont help much but piracy is still wrong. If you want to watch stuff pay for it.

Although it isn't easy when there arn't any dcent legal sites to buy from.

Exactly, I know a girl who used MU a lot and because she paid for it thought it was legal.

But to her it was easier, more options, more convient and cheaper. Her reasoning is bang on, albeit niave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom