Complete lack of 'know how'

Soldato
When I worked there it was a case of anything under first year warranty would be fixed. When it was returned it would then have 90 day extended warranty on it in case the same issue happened again.

Soldato
Personally I'd be taking the laptop in store and having them sort it out there and then. Quote them the SOGA and get a fix, replacement or refund. If things don't go your way it always helps to make a little bit of a scene in store, just enough to get noticed.

Associate
Argh purple shirt place, never ever ever ever ever buy anything from these bloody useless, clueless, ripping cowboys.

Some advice:
1. NEVER: take your high-street bought computer or laptop back to the shop to be repaired if it breaks.
2. ALWAYS: take your computer or laptop to your resident computer expert family member that knows everything about computers (you know that every family has one).

Chances are the service will be better quality, the product will be repaired and they will remove the bloat-ware for you without even asking them, and all it will cost you is a 4pack of German or Belgian lager.

Short story: a have a colleague who took her laptop in to repair the CD drive, when the laptop returned the hard drive had the click of death. When the laptop was sent back for repair they said they didn't know anything about it and they wouldn't repair it. She followed it up and they managed to send it off for data recovery but they said the hard drive was brand new and un-used. So we've got no idea what happened but when the laptop was returned it had a different broken hard drive in it and the original hard drive was lost forever.

In summary, you'll be better off investing in Apple hardware (as much as it pains me to say it), or build something yourself or simply buy something from a reputable and reliable company such as ocuk who actually have a clue.

Last edited:
Associate
with their out of warranty service they charge £60 for their engineers to look at it and confirm if its a manufacturing fault. as long as it is theyd repair it then refund you the £60. had to go through this with a laptop for a family member

Associate
OP
Argh purple shirt place, never ever ever ever ever buy anything from these bloody useless, clueless, ripping cowboys.

Some advice:
1. NEVER: take your high-street bought computer or laptop back to the shop to be repaired if it breaks.
2. ALWAYS: take your computer or laptop to your resident computer expert family member that knows everything about computers (you know that every family has one).

Chances are the service will be better quality, the product will be repaired and they will remove the bloat-ware for you without even asking them, and all it will cost you is a 4pack of German or Belgian lager.

Short story: a have a colleague who took her laptop in to repair the CD drive, when the laptop returned the hard drive had the click of death. When the laptop was sent back for repair they said they didn't know anything about it and they wouldn't repair it. She followed it up and they managed to send it off for data recovery but they said the hard drive was brand new and un-used. So we've got no idea what happened but when the laptop was returned it had a different broken hard drive in it and the original hard drive was lost forever.

In summary, you'll be better off investing in Apple hardware (as much as it pains me to say it), or build something yourself or simply buy something from a reputable and reliable company such as ocuk who actually have a clue.

It was expertly trimmed and bloatware free, it ran like plop off a shovel.

I am the "resident computer guy" which is why I couldn't believe the job sheet which said that the power cuts were caused by bad seated memory, which I had already re-sat numerous times.

I plain and simply don't want to pay a penny for the parts/labour of fixing this.

Further troubleshooting has shown us that it is infact the trackpad/clicker on/off switch which is acting up, as originally we had 100% trackpad but 0% clickers, then 0% of either. Currently it is working normally but cutting every now and again.

I'm fine with computers, as they are designed to be modular systems, laptops on the other hand are awkward and fiddly, designed to be as space efficient and as difficult to reverse engineer as possible makes them a drain to work with.

Example: Swapping a TL-56 for a TL-64 on my Acer Aspire 5532, gave up after 20mins when all I had achieved was a pile of screws and a solid laptop still sat infront of me. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not really.

If I brought a product with one years repair warranty, and it broke after the one year, it's called hard luck. Not much else to it really.

Things like the mouse buttons breaking are things that just happen

Yes really. Anyone purchasing a product with a retailer is entering into a contract that is bound by the Sales of Goods act, and as such, a guaranteed minimum level of legal protection against products that are of poor quality.

Warranties/Guarantees are just a process that retailers set up to allow replacements or refunds quickly and efficiently. It's a very common misconception in this country that if something is out of warranty, there's nothing that can be done and you should chalk it up to bad luck. You shouldn't have to, and you don't. Read up on the SoGA and familiarise yourself with your statutory rights! Might save you quite a bit of cash one day. :)

Caporegime
Not really.

If I brought a product with one years repair warranty, and it broke after the one year, it's called hard luck. Not much else to it really.

Things like the mouse buttons breaking are things that just happen

If you spent 10k on something, and it broke after a year would that be ok?

No of course not, same applies for something at £650. I would complain. They should not last a year then die. If that was the case loads of manufaturs would design cheap products at high markups.

Soldato
So you buy products and you're not supposed to use them? What are they for then?

There's acceptable usage/wear and tear, but there's a limit. Unless the OP has been whacking his mouse buttons with a hard, blunt object, they should really last the duration of the life that is deemed acceptable for the product to last. This is based on cost, quality, type of item and so on. It isn't set in stone.

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

After calling their head office and finally getting through to someone who could comprehend logic she realised repairing the laptop would be cheaper than me suing for the price of the laptop.

There coming to pick it ujp today and fix it, only exception being cosmetic damage and misuse. But I have lovely photos of the laptop :)

Associate
If you spent 10k on something, and it broke after a year would that be ok?

No of course not, same applies for something at £650. I would complain. They should not last a year then die. If that was the case loads of manufaturs would design cheap products at high markups.

you buy a car for that much and it comes with a 3yr warranty, after 3.5 years it breaks, what do you do? Thats right, you pay to get it mended...

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

Got the laptop back on Wednesday, decent turnaround at 7 days. Inside was a job sheet and a letter from some form of knowhow manager, apologising for the "oversight" which was the trackpad being misdiagnosed originally as damaged, they replaced the bottom facia and trackpad/clickers and have it a"valet".

Glad it's all fixed now and I'm hoping that this will be the last of my laptop sorrows.

Cheers for all the advice guys. And for those of you who thought otherwise need to complain more! It's a right :D

Back
Top Bottom