The "All-Things-Guitar" Thread

Associate
Sweet. I love Jerry, and that's one of my favourite pieces of his. Well played, sir! ;)

Thanks, took me ages to learn but once you get your head around the progression it is really easy to play - got no sound on my computer at work so couldn't listen to your vid yet

i'm in the process of learning Jerry's Breakdown - but only at about 75% speed so far.

Associate
Is it possible to get smooth sounding guitar slides using your finger? I have been trying to do them nicely but it's possible to hear my finger sliding over the frets, especially higher up the neck. The resulting sound isn't smooth, it's bumpy, like sliding your finger slowly down piano keys. I think I need to get/make a guitar slide thing to put on my finger, but maybe I just have bad technique. Are you supposed to just do it really fast, or is a slide necessary?

Man of Honour
Is it possible to get smooth sounding guitar slides using your finger? I have been trying to do them nicely but it's possible to hear my finger sliding over the frets, especially higher up the neck. The resulting sound isn't smooth, it's bumpy, like sliding your finger slowly down piano keys. I think I need to get/make a guitar slide thing to put on my finger, but maybe I just have bad technique. Are you supposed to just do it really fast, or is a slide necessary?

Usually slides on an electric guitar are fairly fast, which slurs the notes together into a single sound.

The only song I can think of with a slide in off the top of my head is 'Green Tinted Sixties Mind' by Mr. Big which has a fairly fast slide at the end of the intro riff, but that's a pretty terrible example :o

Edit - a better example is 'Always with me, always with you' by Joe Satriani, which has sliding all over the place in the 'chorus' parts. Great electric guitar technique all over that one.

Associate
Anyone help me troubleshoot an issue I've got with my wireless rig at the moment. I've got a Sennheiser Freeport for live use... it works exceptionally well with my other guitars but it seems to have a dislike for my ES-335. Touching various metal parts would appear to ground the instrument and recduce humming and touching various combinations of metal and metal on transmitter gives me different levels of grounding. Not sure why it would manifest it on the 335 thats quieter than my strat with cloth wire, no shielding and (reaaallly) old pickups!!

Is there something obvious I'm not doing right?

I've got ES-335>Transmitter>Reciever>Rack>Mesa IV>Cab?

Man of Honour
Is there something obvious I'm not doing right?

Yeah, ditch the wireless system.
I'm afraid wireless systems are a real bugbear of mine and unless you are using a real top notch system then forget it.
When I joined Disturbin The Peace in 2000 after about the 3rd rehearsal I asked them to plug their guitars in with real leads and the sound changed significantly and they all stopped using them then & there.
Only 2 weeks ago a mate of mine was having problems on stage so I told him to plug a proper lead in and his sound changed for the better and others noticed it.
What I don't understand are these idiots who use £200 wireless systems and they never move more than 2 foot from their pedals:) - What's the point of that?

Associate
Yeah, ditch the wireless system.
I'm afraid wireless systems are a real bugbear of mine and unless you are using a real top notch system then forget it.
When I joined Disturbin The Peace in 2000 after about the 3rd rehearsal I asked them to plug their guitars in with real leads and the sound changed significantly and they all stopped using them then & there.
Only 2 weeks ago a mate of mine was having problems on stage so I told him to plug a proper lead in and his sound changed for the better and others noticed it.
What I don't understand are these idiots who use £200 wireless systems and they never move more than 2 foot from their pedals:) - What's the point of that?

Can't do that really. I've compared tones and the difference is negligible and I really do utilise it to the full extent. :D

All over the stage on larger stages, with my wedding band we all leave the drummer on stage and hit the dance floor during a slow dance which always goes down well, and I've used it in a small stage show to move from the pit to the center of the stage to take a solo.

Sound wise and reliability it's all be fine so far. I think so long as you buy a good and up to date system your alright. :p I think it's the 30 year old wiring on the 335 - perhaps a dodgy ground :mad:

Soldato
Just a quick post to bump this thread a bit :)

I've recently aquired an old Framus Calypso 5/50. It had 2 saddles missing and needed a new set of tuners as someone had bodged tuners from 3 different guitars onto it with what looked like any old screws they found lying around their house! I contacted Framus who were very helpful and I managed to track down some replacement saddles and tuners. Not sure on age though there is a serial number and other markings on a label in the F-cut out (see pics).

I really like the sound of it, the only way I can really describe it is pleasing lol it just sounds nice to my ears.

Does anyone know anything else about Framus guitars?

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

Soldato
I'm really bored with guitar designs at the moment, it's like it hasn't really progressed in years, just the same stuff rehashed over and over. The only things that are really floating my boat are the ergonomic designs from people like Rick Toone and Ola Strandberg (the Endurneck is unfy and the weight absurdly light!) - my goal in life is to have several Strandbert EGS guitars:

IMG_5629.jpg

Caporegime
After some advice please guys.

95% of my practice is done via headphones through a Roland Micro Cube as i'm in a block of flats and don't want to annoy the neighbours.

Problem with this i've found is, it sound absolutely gash compared to the amp itself when played without the headphones.

Should I be looking at getting something like a Line 6 Pod 2/Pocket pod for this kind of playing, or just invest in some better headphones?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Were you the guy asking about playing through headphones before? If so I did tell you it would sound royally poo :p

Yes, something like POD would be much better. A speaker is part of the sound being made. It's not like when you play a CD and a speaker simply reproduces the sound recorded, with a guitar the speaker is contributing to how that guitar should sound. This is why you have professionals mic-ing up guitar cabs rather than playing straight into a computer.

I hope this helps :)

Caporegime
Were you the guy asking about playing through headphones before? If so I did tell you it would sound royally poo :p

Yes, something like POD would be much better. A speaker is part of the sound being made. It's not like when you play a CD and a speaker simply reproduces the sound recorded, with a guitar the speaker is contributing to how that guitar should sound. This is why you have professionals mic-ing up guitar cabs rather than playing straight into a computer.

I hope this helps :)

Er don't think so :p

Thanks for the info though! Think i'll give a Pod 2 a blast and see how they sound.

Quick look around and there's a chap selling a used, but mint Pod 2.0 literally 5 minutes drive from me for £65, result :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom