Ethernet cable question

Soldato
I pkan to run a ethernet cable to my bedroom for faster speeds for my networked hatdware

I dont want to run multiple cables though. Can1 ethernet cable be split with a device to give wired internet to my PS3, WD live, DVD pkayer or even just two of them?

Soldato
If you want 10/100 speeds you can split a single cat5 and use 2 pairs (ie 4 strands) for one device and the remaining pairs for another device but this is full of fail as the best way is to simply attach a hub or switch in the bedroom

Soldato
Get a hub dude... It's seriously not worth the effort - you've got to split the cable... carefully crimp 4 x RJ45 plugs and allow slack for future hardware movement

Going that far is 'tight' even by my standards :D

Soldato
100 Mbit would be fine but why not just have Cat5e cable with all 4 pairs used and use a Gigabit switch. So wire up a Cat5e to the router, into a 4/5 port Gigabit switch and then short Cat5e cables to each decice. You'll have Gigabit speeds between your devices and the potential for the same with the rest of the network if the main router is GIgabit too.

Back
Top Bottom