*** The Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim Official Thread ***

Associate
who are peeps finding good companions, Never used anyone other than Linda. Can you just 'part ways' then choose someone else then go back to your old companion when you want?

Soldato
160 hours....! Wow, I've been beasting it up for the past couple of days and am nearing 80 hours, it's suprising/pleasing that some of you are getting double the amount of play out of it!

Just bought all the upgrades for my house in Windhelm, it's completely different now! Feels like I've won the lottery and gone from a flat to a mansion :p I didn't think I'd get to the point where I had more money than I knew what to do with but with over 50k gold it seems silly not to spend it.

I've also been buying lots of ingredients and started combining them randomly to discover effects, is there a faster way of doing this? I want to know how to create frenzy potions.

Soldato
Don't know if it's been mentioned but the standing stones achivements is glitched all you need to do is fast travel to the original 3 standing stones once or twice and the achivement unlocks.

Soldato
Haven't played in a while, sold my latest version again for more than I paid for it.

Will wait till the end of the year once it goes platinum and probably play it again.

Soldato
160 hours....! Wow, I've been beasting it up for the past couple of days and am nearing 80 hours, it's suprising/pleasing that some of you are getting double the amount of play out of it!

Just bought all the upgrades for my house in Windhelm, it's completely different now! Feels like I've won the lottery and gone from a flat to a mansion :p I didn't think I'd get to the point where I had more money than I knew what to do with but with over 50k gold it seems silly not to spend it.

I've also been buying lots of ingredients and started combining them randomly to discover effects, is there a faster way of doing this? I want to know how to create frenzy potions.

Eating the ingredient shows you one property, then combining two or three with the same the same property will reveal more properties when two of the three ingredients share another property. I think that makes sense.

Soldato
Can you just 'part ways' then choose someone else then go back to your old companion when you want?

Yes, they will just return to their default location.

Personally I don't bother with them on my main character as she's a sneak focused thief/assassin and companions and stealth don't mix.

However on my mage I've found having either a second mage or an archer works wonders, melee characters have a habit of getting roasted alive or flatted by my Frost Atronach, archers are especially useful as an anti-mage device.

Soldato
Wait 48hours you can get them from shops as well. I got 100 smithing yesterday and im making Daedric armor ;) Yes I know I only needed 90 but it was nice to get 100 :)

Then enchant/improve the armour, ;)
I have my Daedric armour at around 350ish protection, with health/stamina +70%
My helmet has archery at + 40%
My gauntlets are 1/2 handed +40%
My boots 1/2 handed +40%
A gold ring 1/2 handed +40%

It actually got too good, as i could take about 5-6 good hits off a giant.
Ended up recrafting a stock Deadric armour, and giving the good stuff to Aela. (ace follower with a daedric bow)
Just improve them a little.

you can buy hearts in the alchemy shop in solitude, deside the blacksmiths, and off some one in the mages college iirc its on the upper floor where the beds are

Associate
Then enchant/improve the armour, ;)
I have my Daedric armour at around 350ish protection, with health/stamina +70%
My helmet has archery at + 40%
My gauntlets are 1/2 handed +40%
My boots 1/2 handed +40%
A gold ring 1/2 handed +40%

It actually got too good, as i could take about 5-6 good hits off a giant.
Ended up recrafting a stock Deadric armour, and giving the good stuff to Aela. (ace follower with a daedric bow)
Just improve them a little.

you can buy hearts in the alchemy shop in solitude, deside the blacksmiths, and off some one in the mages college iirc its on the upper floor where the beds are

Yeah ive improved them using the ebony ingot but not enchanted

Associate
I'm a sneak/archer too, so I don't bother much with companions - the Dark Brotherhood quests are good, though, because you get an awesome horse companion (Shadowmere, batters dragons on it's own) although he only works outside cities/dungeons.

Then you get a power to summon a companion who's pretty decent as a damage sponge and hangs around forever until he dies (when you can summon him again) - with the added advantage to us sneaks that you can choose when to summon him, and just use a summon familiar to get rid of him (the familiar disappears after a moment, leaving you once again companionless.

I tend to use conjuration as my companions, I find it's more useful when sneaking to be able to bring them in when I've got an unavoidable fight, then let them vanish. The only time I use proper companions is when clearing out a dungeon. I kill the occupants, fast travel to Lydia, deposit all my stuff in my house and then fast travel back with two inventories worth to carry with.

Oh and to anyone starting a new character, ignore Dark Elves - I looked at them all and the game and went "ooh, fire resistance, that'll be useful against all the dragons" - all that happens is that every mage and dragon I ever run into uses frost. There are a couple of specific in game ones that use fire, but any randomly encountered ones are frost.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Today we’ve taken Skyrim’s 1.4 update out of beta and made it available for everyone on Steam. In addition to bug and quest fixes, 1.4 adds launcher support for the Skyrim Workshop. Currently we’re putting the final touches on the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop and will let everyone know as soon as they’re up.

As an update to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 users, we’re submitting 1.4 to the console manufacturers this week. When these updates are available, we’ll let everyone know.

After the break, check out the final release notes for 1.4. The changes impact all platforms unless noted.

NEW FEATURES

Skyrim launcher support for Skyrim Workshop (PC)
BUG FIXES

General optimizations for memory and performance

Fixed occasional issue with armor and clothing not displaying properly when placed on mannequins in player’s house (PS3)

Long term play optimizations for memory and performance (PS3)

Improved compiler optimization settings (PC)

Memory optimizations related to scripting

Fixed issue with dangling scripts not properly clearing from memory

Fixed crashes related to pathing and AI

Fixed crash in “Haemar’s Shame” if player had already completed “A Daedra’s Best Friend”

Fixed rare crash with loading saved games

Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line

Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly

Fixed issue where quests would incorrectly progress after reloading a save

Fixed issues with placing and removing books from bookshelves in the player’s home

Optimized bookshelf script in player-owned houses that would occasionally block other scripts from properly firing off

Fixed issue where weapon racks and plaques would not work correctly in player’s house if player immediately visits their house before purchasing any upgrades

Fixed issue where the player house in Windhelm would not clean up properly

Fixed crash related to giant attacks and absorb spells

Fixed issue with ash piles not cleaning up properly

Fixed occasional issue where overwriting an existing save would fail

Fixed memory crash with container menu

Fixed infinite loop with bookshelves

Fixed issue where transforming back to human from werewolf would occasionally fail

Bows and daggers will display properly when placed on weapon racks

Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended

Fixed bug related to hitching between cell boundaries

Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian

Fixed issue where traps in Shalidor’s Maze would not work properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian versions

FTM

FTM

Soldato
anyone ever had a bug where the game thinks you have a companion but you dont..I cannot recruit anybody else, or do the daedra mission where you lure them to the sacrificial stone

even going to jail hasnt fixed it..I can finish the game solo it just annoying!

Associate
Just encountered an annoying glitch. Just got Whiterun msg and the Jarl does not want to open dialogue with me regarding the quest......:confused: Don't think there is anything that i can do, just had to carry on with other quests, tried reloading etc to different parts, but nothing....

Back
Top Bottom