• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DisplayLink and USB/eSata Questions

Associate
Hi Guys,

I have a HP laptop with a Dell U2410 hooked up via HDMI.

I want to add a second monitor (another U2410) but the laptop only has VGA out, which is no good.

So, this new DisplayLink stuff looks pretty cool (basically converts USB to HDMI). I know I can get a USB 2.0 to HDMI product that will work, and should give me a second HDMI connection, great!

Only problem is USB 2 is too slow for video playback etc. Display Link have just come out with a USB 3.0 to HDMI product which solves all of these problems, except my laptop does not have a USB 3 connection.

I however do have an eSata connection, and apparently there are eSata to USB converters out there (see here).

So to finally get to the point, do you think this eSata to USB 3 converted would work with the new USB 3 DisplayLink adapters? Or is that unlikely?

Appreciate your advice (or other suggestions!)
TM

Associate
HDMI 1.3 has a transfer speed of upto 10.5Ghz
eSATA has transfer speeds of upto 5Ghz

So it depends on what speed your HDMI socket runs at, I would guess it would be HDMI 1.3
though if its a new laptop which means you might get away with a seconds monitor but
im not extirely sure if im honest with you. It would depends on what you want to do on
the monitor though if im honest.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I however do have an eSata connection, and apparently there are eSata to USB converters out there (see here).

So to finally get to the point, do you think this eSata to USB 3 converted would work with the new USB 3 DisplayLink adapters? Or is that unlikely?

Appreciate your advice (or other suggestions!)
TM

Fraid that adaptor plugs into an existing USB3 interface. It doesnt convert your eSata to USB3.

Soldato
What's the problem with VGA? The U2410 has a VGA port and running a 1920x1200 monitor via VGA really doesn't look much different than running a digital input signal - especially when you have a high quality monitor like the Dell (I have personal experience with this).

I would strongly suggest you try it with VGA before you splash out on a eSATA to USB3 to HDMI conversion.

Soldato
I guess the problem may be that the laptop doesn’t support simultaneous HDMI and VGA connections with the laptop display also running.

Probably this, considering most PCs only can support up to a max of two monitors.

What laptop do you have themistry? If it has a discrete as well as an integrated GPU then you might be able to output with both, with the laptop screen still in use. Mine can do that with the discrete 5470 and integrated 4250 for both the laptop's HDMI and VGA output.

Soldato
If he runs it so the built-in laptop display is turned off then there shouldn't be an issue with it running two external monitors . However, if he wants all three running at once then depending on the GPU it uses then it may require an external GPU like the USB3 ones suggested.

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

thanks for all the replies. My laptop is a HP something (not entirely sure - doesn't say on it!). It was pretty high end when I got it in 2009. FYI the graphics chip is NVidia 9600.

So, I can use VGA out, however the quality is terrible (might be the cable, might be the VGA out on my laptop). I did used to run my original u2410 through VGA out and moved to HDMI for better picture quality.

I may try this again just to be sure, but I did suffer ghosting and the like at the time.

Alternatively, is it possible to get a USB3 addon card for a laptop?

Cheers
TM

Associate
OP
Hey Andi,

it has an expansion slot, I wouldn't know if this is express card or PCMICA (sp)?

Laptop is from 2009, what would be your guess?

TM

Soldato
The best way to find out is to check the model number of the laptop and look through the spec sheet. It should say the model number on the laptop iself (either around the keyboard or on the sticker on the back).

Most likely it will be expresscard - but best to be certain.

Back
Top Bottom