Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
74839271.jpg

Soldato
Well my LBS stripped down my Spark ready for the new swingarm and found loads of cracks in the carbon where it mounts and on the BB. Fantastic. Hopefully scott will step up and either replace the frame or offer me a shed loads off a new bike.

Stoopid plastic bike

Soldato
Hows Aus treating you? Managed to get riding out there yet?

Pretty good, not missing the weather back at home! :p

Not managed any riding yet, waiting for my bike to arrive in container of stuff, and trying to save for a new one!

Been swimming & playing water polo instead to keep up my fitness!

Soldato
I use the Ay Up V4. Lightweight and unobtrusive. Very well made. I use 1 set on the bars and 1 on the helmet. Before that I used a Trailtech HiD which blows the Ay up away with spread, throw and all out power. but it is heavy and cumbersome. It's expensive to replace the HiD bulb, balast and batteries.
Not sure what you mean by standard bike lights. If you mean commuting lights bought from Halfords then forget it. They are useless for night riding. Go for a decent bar plus helmet combo. Or get an insanely bright single light like the Troutlight.

Soldato
helmet light is a must if you ride lots of twisty trails, you spend more time than you think with your bars pointed nowhere related to where you are actually going

Soldato
What light setups do you all use? I fancy a bit of night riding but not sure if it's best to go down the helmet light setup along with standard bike lights.

I asked this very question a couple of months ago and the ayup light set was recommended by a couple of people.

I have used these a few times now on the trails and other riders have commented on how good the light spread is with the helmet and bar lights, I have seen brighter sets but with a poorer coverage.

Battery life is very good I have done both Glentress red route then the innerleithen XC track with the larger battery running the handle bar lights for around 5 hours. I swapped in the spare half sized battery for the helmet set after Glentress where both went for over 2 hours.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think I can afford £250 at the moment, I was thinking more around £100. I don't want to sacrifice light quality though so I might as well get saving.

You don't need to spend that much. A £30 jobby from deal extreme, like this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smo...te-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82507 will do the job pretty well and give you more than enough light to go riding. Build quality won't be a patch on the Ayups but at the price it's perfectly acceptable.

Associate
You don't need to spend that much. A £30 jobby from deal extreme, like this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smo...te-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82507 will do the job pretty well and give you more than enough light to go riding. Build quality won't be a patch on the Ayups but at the price it's perfectly acceptable.

I went for one of those £30 lights from dealextreme. Can't comment on how they compare to the £250+ versions. But i'm amazed how good this light is, check out the youtube videos.

For off road riding i'd get at least two, one on the bars and one on your helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom