Final Fantasy

Soldato
OP
A lot of the FF series have been reduced to £3.99 each on the PSN store. Tempted to pick up a few of them but does anyone know if the versions on the PSN store are the ones which have been updated throughout the years?

Thanks for this, I was missing V & VIII to complete my online collection so this really helps.

Soldato
OP
I badly want to get into either 7, 8 or 9 but i just don't think i could handle the graphics in this day and age and i'm not sure id enjoy them as much as i think.

My first and only JRPG was Final Fantasy XIII and i loved it, which makes me believe i won't enjoy these games at all as it was more fast paced combat rather than turn based :p

I will be completely honest with you and say that a fair percentage of the reason I replay the older Final Fantasy titles is due to nostalgia. They take me back to my teen years where my life changed completely and the stories helped me grow. However, and I appreciate my opinion is bias due to what I just admitted to, I still full-heartedly believe that the gameplay, storyline and characters are just as impressionable and lovable to as they were back when the games were released and graphics aside, these games will last forever.

Try them, at the very least. Purchase off eBay and if you don't like it, sell it on. You will only lose out on the P&P.

Associate
I will be completely honest with you and say that a fair percentage of the reason I replay the older Final Fantasy titles is due to nostalgia. They take me back to my teen years where my life changed completely and the stories helped me grow. However, and I appreciate my opinion is bias due to what I just admitted to, I still full-heartedly believe that the gameplay, storyline and characters are just as impressionable and lovable to as they were back when the games were released and graphics aside, these games will last forever.

Try them, at the very least. Purchase off eBay and if you don't like it, sell it on. You will only lose out on the P&P.

Thanks for this :) Which would you recommend out of 7,8,9 based on my XIII liking?

Associate
i first started on number 7, and must say i love all of them, some were a bit more tedious on times but overall brilliant game. never played the online ones, dont think it would apeal to me. and with the games on offer on the PSN i dont think i can resist and will lose hundreds more hours playin on them

Associate
Thanks for this :) Which would you recommend out of 7,8,9 based on my XIII liking?

I would suggest 7, for a few reasons;

• It was many people's first JRPG and hooked them, for a reason. The characters and storyline are still beyond the majority of releases
  • The Gfx & sound experience (bear with me). Of course the FF7 Gfx aren't the best, but the pre-rendered backgrounds still hold up! It's not done like that these days and they are still great (especially Midgar - reactors!). The soundtrack is the best from any game I have played. A few notes from most songs send me back
  • You can chat with every other FF7 player then (which is most RPG fans :p)
  • Once you have finished it, you can finish 8 then 9, and you will want to play 7 again.

Associate
Actually playing Suikoden as I type this ;)

I bought Suikoden & Vandal Hearts at a local second hand games store just after they were released. I got both in mint condition for £20. They are worth a bomb now :D

The first Vandal Hearts was an amazing game, put so many hours into it.

Back on topic, I've played VII and IX quite a lot, never really got into X, tried XII and HATED the new gameplay style, didn't bother with XIII, was clear as day the franchise has past it.

Associate
Suikoden 1 and 2 have the best soundtracks I've heard in a game. Still listen on youtube from time to time. Also, two of the best rpgs ever made.

Final fantasy 7 was superb, eight was awful imo. Biggest disappointment game-wise I've ever had.

13 was meh, one of the most boring combat systems I've ever experienced. I'll give 13-2 a chance but I'm ready to quote vader and be done with final fantasy if its pants.

Soldato
ahhh.... suikoden 1 and 2. both amazing!! put so many hours into those games getting all 108 characters :) well worth a play if you can find them..they'll be mega expensive now though.

another good call for vandal hearts. awesome battle system, a bit infuriating sometimes though!

Soldato
ahhh.... suikoden 1 and 2. both amazing!! put so many hours into those games getting all 108 characters :) well worth a play if you can find them..they'll be mega expensive now though.

another good call for vandal hearts. awesome battle system, a bit infuriating sometimes though!

Suikoden is on the PS Store :)

Associate
Final fantasy 13..... oh final fantasy 13. Well wtf were they thinking eh?

7,8,9,10 and even 12 incredible in thier own ways. 12 lost it's way a little bit...but still only a little.

13 just decided that it didn't care about having characters with personalities and motives that you cared about, screw that it didn't care about having characters at all! The story was just completely unrelateable, if you don't care about the characters that are involved in the story, then in turn it's hard to be involved at all.

For that reason final fantasy 13 wasn't just a bad story, it was a terrible, terrible game. Because lets face it if JRPG's haven't got a good story and strong characters what have they got? No-one finds turn-based combat fun we play it because we have to, to quench that thirst for the next chapter of the story to unfold.

Just felt the need to rant about that pos game. But bear in mind, before that i was a massive fan.

Soldato
Yup, agree.

FF4, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10 were all great games. Some people say FF10 was the last great, and I'll agree somewhat because compared to the games that came after it, it was amazing. However I think Final Fantasy's decline started with the PS2 era.

FF11 for obvious reasons isn't counted. I actually hold this game as being my favourite MMO alongside Everquest. I spent years playing it and I've got tremendous memories of a very unique game!

FF12 I stopped playing somewhere after half way through. As has been said in this thread, characters and story don't go together. Its the number one problem with any story. If you can't relate some way to the human aspect of a story, then you simply won't care. Having main characters as simple observers without getting truly emotionally involved will leave you feeling cold and uninterested. Very forgettable game and crew.

FF13 pretty much what Goldfingers said. Shocking
--I wrote a huge rant about the game but I'm just gonna let Golds post speak for it (suppresses huge need to rage at this atrocity)

FF14- end of SquarEnix. As a huge fan of FF11, I followed this game from first conception to alpha-beta stage and all the way upto collectors edition retail purchase. Dear lord, I genuinely believe the problem with these SE games now is due to their sheer arrogance. I think they got so full of themselves they believed that whatever **** they made people would buy it regardless. FF14 was terrible and should never have been released in the state it was. They're trying to revamp it all and moved around the "dinosaur" devs behind it, however its days are long gone. They'd need to really pull something out for this to work after that start. Its not going to happen.

Due to the lack of quality in the last few games, the new approach to bringing out sequels to every new release, old release, mobile phone games, handheld games, movies, spin-offs etc. Of following the development of FF14 so closely, reading every interview, posting on the beta forums, hearing responses and seeing first hand just how SE work and what they think of their fans opinions and desires; I've come to lose so much respect for this company. For the first time I'm not thinking of future game releases and wondering what FF15 will be like. I simply don't care anymore and I will never buy another Final Fantasy blindly again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom