Amazing natural ice sculputres lake of Geneva..

Soldato
why would it? if you melt the ice to open the door so you don't break the door lock/handle, and start the engine it should be fine?

you get anti freeze in engine coolant/clutch fluid?
The water will have gone into small nooks and crannies then frozen. Water expands as it freezes (ever left a bottle of coke in the freezer?) and there is a real risk of the car being wrecked as this happens.

Soldato
The water will have gone into small nooks and crannies then frozen. Water expands as it freezes (ever left a bottle of coke in the freezer?) and there is a real risk of the car being wrecked as this happens.

ye, that's what i'd have thought

B@

Associate

Coke is a bad example unless its totally flat, freezing it not only results in expansion but dissolved gases cannot be sustained in the liquid/solid and cause the bottle to rupture due to the pressure build up.
The damage to the car in this way will be negliable or else it would be a major problem for anywhere with water and sub zero temps, IE like last night where it rained during the evening and froze over night. I'd be more worried about the additional weight on the car although not by much.

Permabanned
The car may be fine if you slowly warmed the engine but switching it on and making a dramatic temperature change would likely lead to something cracking/blowing. A few peoples cars I know over here have went in the winter because they stupidly overuse the accelerator just after switching on from a cold start. Blown head gaskets or cracked cylinders etc.

Associate
Rightio champ. In the mean time I suggest you do a spot of reading on anti freeze, and the freezing point of clutch fluid/engine oils.

I'm not sure anti-freeze can sustain long periods of negative temperatures can it?

Electrical cables can be fairly exposed, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the first to go.

Plus, what's to say there aren't cracks on the outside of the pipes that water can get into and freeze?

Associate
Just like when Cumulus posts you know it's going to be desperately ******* dull photos of desperately ******* dull Swtitzerland. Never posts about anything else, never has an interest in anything anyone else posts.

Any need for that? thats just offensive!
Switzerland is a beautiful country with amazing scenery in both winter and sumer, stunning walking and climbing too!
Great pics OP..

Permabanned
Just like when Cumulus posts you know it's going to be desperately ******* dull photos of desperately ******* dull Swtitzerland. Never posts about anything else, never has an interest in anything anyone else posts.

Lol he must have a lot of threads with just pictures then if his post count is over 1000+. You been sacked or having a bad day or something?

Back
Top Bottom