GNS3

Associate
OP
If I was to create another Switch of R2 which was just going to be used to connect general users but they didn't belong to any VLAN, what would I put instead of switchport mode access vlan x ?

Could I just use trunk instead?

Soldato
If I was to create another Switch of R2 which was just going to be used to connect general users but they didn't belong to any VLAN, what would I put instead of switchport mode access vlan x ?

Could I just use trunk instead?

You'd keep it as switchport mode access, but dont put a VLAN as the native VLAN is always VLAN 1(unless you manually change this). You'd then assign an IP to the interface on R2 and create a DHCP pool for it. The router should do the rest in terms of assigning IP's etc.

Associate
OP
I think I have it working with Trunk. Does this matter?

Turns out you don't need anything. Trunk/Access is not needed at all. :)

Last edited:
Associate
for the more complex stuff as you get to NP/IP and IE level, i recommend IOU. you'll have to google that one but it's so much better than GNS3 for being a resource hog and i've never had it crash on me yet.

Associate
OP
Right so I have managed to put in a basic login system for when someone telnet's into R1.

If they give the correct Username/Password they will be logged in and will be prompted with a Menu which I have just set up. They are also logged in with privilege level 15. However, the user can only perform the commands I have gave them in the Menu. (Show IP Brief etc)

Should they not be able to start configuring the router if they logged in succesfully?

Ignore that ^^ I am going to set up an Admin account who should be able to login and start configuring the router remotely.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got this 'FileServer' here and I can't help but feel it is a bit useless ahha.

I know I coud set access controls so the server would only allow for ftp traffic but I'm struggling to see what the point in that would be if I can't perform tests to ensure this.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Set up a firewall on the router using something like SDM (CCNA: Sec still uses SDM, which is a pain). You may need an old Java version though. If you want something more up to date, get CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional). They're basically a GUI for setting up routers.

Associate
OP
Tonight I've managed to connect a Cloud (Internet) from R1 via a Loopback Adapter. Now R1 can ping/tracert IP addresses of actual websites.

However, it is only R1 who can do this and when I try for example to ping 4.2.2.2 from T1 it doesn't work. Furthermore it can't even ping the Loopback Adapter (192.168.137.1).

I'm pretty sure I have set up the routing protocols correctly so R1 can through packets to the Loopback Adapter however at the moment it is only R1 which is directly connected to the Cloud which can ping external IP addresses.

Is this something simple or am I looking at having to do NAT and then DNS?

Associate
OP
I've got my Simulation to a good stage now I feel.

Now I am currently enduring the joys of writing a 15000 word report on what I've done.

It has been a good learning curve though and I may/may not come back to the simulation depending on time.

Cheers for the help, specifically Deception - you have been awesome.

Do you have a job in Networking if you don't mind me asking ahha?

Soldato
Glad I could help, been a good experience for me too (trying to remember all this stuff :p). I do have a small IT/Networking role at the moment yes. I've recently done my CCNA: Security and really enjoying the Cisco side of things.

Associate
OP
I'm in my final year in Uni so I will most probably be looking for a role in IT in the very near future. Still deciding what I want to go into but probably looking at the Networking side of things.

Whilst I have been doing this I have been reading a CCENT/CCNA ICND 1 book which I've learnt a fair bit from as well as using GNS3 to perform the different things. I think I am going to do one of the certificates after I graduate. Would you recommend doing the CCNA and how hard is it?

Soldato
I would highly recommend it; Hell, you know a lot of it from what you've learnt here. I did CCENT then did ICND2 instead of the 1 exam. ICND1 is basically all theory and ICND2 is the practical stuff. Always good to know, even when not using Cisco equipment.

Associate
OP
Yeah that's true - have learnt a **** load in the space of a month or two haha. That's what it's all about though ain't it.

Isn't it, ICDN1 + ICND2 = CCNA?

Associate
OP
Just a quick one - in my very first Simulation, I created a very basic topology of one Router, one Switch and two Terminals. T1 was set up to be on VLAN 10 and T2 was set up to be on VLAN 20. Now these terminals will not ping each other at all unless they are given a default gaateway.

Now the Simulation after that I created another two hosts and made one of them part of VLAN 10 and the other VLAN 20. So VLAN 10 would have (T1 and T3) and VLAN 20 would have (T2 and T4).

This simulation works perfectly without having to set up a default gateway, however I don't get why the first version wouldn't work if they have been set up completely the same? I'm currently evaluating the first version and haven't got a clue why they won't work unless they are given a default gateway?

Back
Top Bottom