Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Aeropress is an excellent brew method. But, errr... It shouldn't be bitter. Bitter is bad.

Hotter water *over 95°C* burns the coffee
Longer brewtime can lead to over extraction

I know, you need to read my post again :)

I'm used to strong bitter coffee, now I'm using the Aeropress it's a whole new experience :)

Soldato
Aeropress is an excellent brew method. But, errr... It shouldn't be bitter. Bitter is bad.

Hotter water *over 95°C* burns the coffee
Longer brewtime can lead to over extraction

Agreed, I'm not a fan of bitterness but I do know some people that like it strangely. I now brew my coffee in the Aeropress upright between 91C and 93C for 30 seconds, 10 second stir.

Talking of temperature, my el cheapo ebay thermometer has given up the ghost unless the boiling temperature of water is now 65C! I was looking at the K Type thermocouple thermometers but decided to get something perhaps not as accurate but with a nice temperature alarm feature.

http://www.digital-meters.com/epage...ops/digital-meters/Products/"Tecpel DTM-3103"

Should arrive sometime soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've currently settled on inverted, 20g coffee (grind/weight depends on beans), pre wet filter, pre warm AP and cup, 80deg water, fill 1/3, leave for 20 secs, fill to top, stir for 10 secs, leave for 30 secs, assemble and press for approx 30 secs, enjoy :)

Soldato
I've currently settled on inverted, 20g coffee (grind/weight depends on beans), pre wet filter, pre warm AP and cup, 80deg water, fill 1/3, leave for 20 secs, fill to top, stir for 10 secs, leave for 30 secs, assemble and press for approx 30 secs, enjoy :)

So many ways to skin the cat :) It's great that there are so many variations yet most of them yield a good cup.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Knackered now!

Been a fantastic day and today has had some excellent performances. Some mighty espresso and cappuccinos and some great and some strange sig drinks.

Genuinely can't say what the best espresso I've had over the last 2 days, but the standout sig drink for me today was pretty much a modified cortardo. But it's how it was modified that made it SO good.

Popcorn infused milk, with a touch of salt and caramel, steamed and added to the espresso. Stunning. Sadly chap who made it only took 3rd.

Anyway, Sang Ho Park did the triple crown, best espresso, cappuccino and sig drink to take 1st place in the south east heat. He's a barista from Tapped & Packed. On twitter as @koreanbarista

Lovely guy and was a great performance.

Next up, South West event in Exeter.

Soldato
Coffee and booze, thoughts?

Obviously we have our coffee liqueurs, and there are plenty of whiskies with a coffee hint. But, has anyone mixed an espresso with alcohol in a cocktail and managed to make anything nice?

I'm a bit concerned that this mix may be very much frowned upon in this thread!

Agreed, I'm not a fan of bitterness but I do know some people that like it strangely. I now brew my coffee in the Aeropress upright between 91C and 93C for 30 seconds, 10 second stir.

Talking of temperature, my el cheapo ebay thermometer has given up the ghost unless the boiling temperature of water is now 65C! I was looking at the K Type thermocouple thermometers but decided to get something perhaps not as accurate but with a nice temperature alarm feature.

http://www.digital-meters.com/epage...ops/digital-meters/Products/"Tecpel DTM-3103"

Should arrive sometime soon.

Hah, only 12 days ago you were singing its praises to me!

I need to get some accurate scales and thermometer and really see if I can make a phenomenal coffee. Unfortunately, my Aeropress hasn't had a huge amount of use. I just can't be bothered with grinding when I wake up and I can't afford an electric grinder.

Soldato
Knackered now!

Been a fantastic day and today has had some excellent performances. Some mighty espresso and cappuccinos and some great and some strange sig drinks.

Genuinely can't say what the best espresso I've had over the last 2 days, but the standout sig drink for me today was pretty much a modified cortardo. But it's how it was modified that made it SO good.

Popcorn infused milk, with a touch of salt and caramel, steamed and added to the espresso. Stunning. Sadly chap who made it only took 3rd.

Anyway, Sang Ho Park did the triple crown, best espresso, cappuccino and sig drink to take 1st place in the south east heat. He's a barista from Tapped & Packed. On twitter as @koreanbarista

Lovely guy and was a great performance.

Next up, South West event in Exeter.

Are the heats free? And are they interesting as a coffee fan? Do you get to drink lots of coffee, chat about coffee and all that stuff or is it just the barista's come in, make their coffee, get judged and then that's it?

If it's the former, then I'll pop along to the Scottish heats but if it's the latter I doubt I'll bother.

Man of Honour
Are the heats free? And are they interesting as a coffee fan? Do you get to drink lots of coffee, chat about coffee and all that stuff or is it just the barista's come in, make their coffee, get judged and then that's it?

If it's the former, then I'll pop along to the Scottish heats but if it's the latter I doubt I'll bother.

Visiting the event is free. The performances can be pretty interesting, depending on whats being talked about and whats going into the drinks.

DunneFrankowski did a superb job arranging everything over the last couple of days. We had a brew bar by Union Hand Roasted, there was an San Remo Roma espresso machine going too with the competitors on it using their competition beans. Many of the barista's hang around to watch the other people to and most are up for a chat.

It will depend on who is organising it and whats available. But Rob and Vic found a superb space and got friends to help out and did an amazing job.

If you keep an eye on the scaeuk.com web site, more info may become available in the run up to each event.

Man of Honour
Well, after a year of not competing, Colin Harmon from 3fe in Dublin has won the Irish Barista Championship for the third time this year.

Did a damn good performance tbh and his sig drink... just odd...

Man of Honour
Coffee and booze, thoughts?

Obviously we have our coffee liqueurs, and there are plenty of whiskies with a coffee hint. But, has anyone mixed an espresso with alcohol in a cocktail and managed to make anything nice?

I'm a bit concerned that this mix may be very much frowned upon in this thread!

Take a look at the Coffee In Good Spirits competition. Thats the alcohol and espresso based competition.

Soldato
Spec Me...

Ok, So I know you all LOVE these threads, so I thought your most loveable OCUKer (ME) should create one.

I am looking into buying a coffee maker machine thing :D I usually drink Kenco Millicano with 1 sugar. If I am out however, I will drink Latte or Mocha. So, would it be a good idea to invest in a machine to make good coffee at home?

If so, what would you get to start me off, don't want anything overly extravagant or expensive.

Man of Honour
Ok, So I know you all LOVE these threads, so I thought your most loveable OCUKer (ME) should create one.

I am looking into buying a coffee maker machine thing :D I usually drink Kenco Millicano with 1 sugar. If I am out however, I will drink Latte or Mocha. So, would it be a good idea to invest in a machine to make good coffee at home?

If so, what would you get to start me off, don't want anything overly extravagant or expensive.

Aeropress and hand grinder. Around £50.
V60 and hand grinder. Also around £50

Man of Honour
OP
had the chance to pop into Monmouth in Covent Garden over the weekend and its thoroughly re-affirmed my love for pour over, actually i'm off to by a V60 now :D

The set-up is very impressive, they shop was totally packed but the rate they were moving people through and turning the coffee out was outstanding and the brownies were to die for!

Edit: actually I got a clever dripper so I can also do some cold brew experimentation :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
had the chance to pop into Monmouth in Covent Garden over the weekend and its thoroughly re-affirmed my love for pour over, actually i'm off to by a V60 now :D

The set-up is very impressive, they shop was totally packed but the rate they were moving people through and turning the coffee out was outstanding and the brownies were to die for!

Edit: actually I got a clever dripper so I can also do some cold brew experimentation :)

I love going there, not entirely for the coffee now, but for the atmosphere and the cakes. Their espresso is pretty good, but I find their pour over a bit hit and miss.

Ooooh the cakes. The lemon tart is amazing.

As for the Clever Dripper. I really like it. It's like a french press, but without the nasty fines at the end.

Man of Honour
OP
been playing with some www.miniminit.com bags while i wait for my clever dripper to turn up. They don't seem to work as an immersion at all, just pour over. So far the coffee I've been using is too course for it to work properly, think it needs almost espresso ground stuff to work properly :(

There are a few good articles looking at nesspresso and its ilk on James Hoffmans blog and The New York Times

Also loving coming soon coffee's way of displaying their current offering:
6FAcb.jpg

Soldato
As for the Clever Dripper. I really like it. It's like a french press, but without the nasty fines at the end.

I'm with you on that one as I love my clever dripper too. I also see that Hasbean are doing it at a decent price too. Since buying it, the V60 has become a bit redundant and now sits at the back of the coffee cupboard. I'm just wondering if there is still any good reason to use it.

Associate
I love going there, not entirely for the coffee now, but for the atmosphere and the cakes. Their espresso is pretty good, but I find their pour over a bit hit and miss.

Ooooh the cakes. The lemon tart is amazing.

love that place too, though buying beans from there can be hit and miss too. absolutely adore the espresso in milk bar on bateman street in soho, the best i've had in london.

Back
Top Bottom