Mantis Shrimps!

Soldato
Anyone own one or know any suppliers?

I really fancy one, they look quite low maintenance and are really cool but I can't seem to find any online apart from the odd one in america!!

5649851249_d209423736.jpg

Caporegime
Could be wrong here, but isnt their strike strong enough to break average aquarium glass?

Sorry I don't know anything about aquariums so there maybe a stronger material thats used.

Soldato
I don't know where you are getting low maintenance from. You need a saltwater marine environment for them which means regular water changes with RO water and aquarium salt, various test kits to maintain water quality, filtration, flow makers, heaters and decent lighting.

You can't really keep any cleaning critters in the tank either, as the mantis will kill them, so you have to be extra vigilant with algae that the other shrimp snails and crabs would usually take care of for you.

So yeah cool thing to have but its the same startup and running costs as any other saltwater tank.

Soldato
OP
Could be wrong here, but isnt their strike strong enough to break average aquarium glass?

Sorry I don't know anything about aquariums so there maybe a stronger material thats used.

From what ive read, certain (larger) species (the black and white ones IIRC) can break thin/cheap tanks but from what I can tell its a bit of an urban legend.

Back
Top Bottom