• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2x 6870 Xfire but crap BF3 FPs/Useage

Permabanned
Lucky that in bold is a matter of opinion.

Its pretty much FACT tbh..... People just don't seem to understand just how important a CPU is to frame rates.

Instead they either fob it off as bad code or a GPU bottleneck...

Crysis as a prime example, People have said that it's poorly coded and no matter what GPU you use it never plays as it should, You chuck a 2500k into the mix and it'll play like you've never played it before.

Crysis with a 3.6Ghz Q6600 and Crossfire 6950's

bfa8616d2c96650e2315cd66e257b8a3.jpg

Minimum 15fps
Average 30fps

Now one could argue that the game is poorly coded and that it should be pumping out frame rates a lot higher then that considering the hardware.

Lets adopt my idea that the CPU is just as important as the GPU's and throw in a 4.5Ghz 2500k in the Q660's place...

7c28b2046c6af69a79ce9bd2600f3e5b.jpg

Bang!!

Minimum 60fps
Average 80fps

Regardless of drivers or the game your GPU usage no matter how many graphics cards you have SHOULD be at 99%, And they should stay at 99% load no matter how much the on screen action heats up. If it's not then you need more CPU power....

Crysis 2 - Q6600 at 3.6Ghz, 6950 Crossfire

6d9cf819d48ecdc0b543135cbcafdb9c.jpg

Crysis 2 - 2500k at 4.5Ghz, 6950 Crossfire

de47ca14207b1ec2da8bf5e31ddb9684.jpg

Soldato
Its pretty much FACT tbh..... People just don't seem to understand just how important a CPU is to frame rates.

Instead they either fob it off as bad code or a GPU bottleneck...

I didn't say nothing about how important a CPU is to frame rates.

There's no such thing as a badly coded game, Just a game that requires a lot of CPU power.

What i highlighted is a matter of a opinion and that is fact.

How many threads should a game use is also a matter of opinion.

Should a game use 100% of the CPU or only 10% is also a matter of opinion.

As for crysis you have your opinion and others have theirs and that's all there is to it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How many threads should a game use is also a matter of opinion.

Should a game use 100% of the CPU or only 10% is also a matter of opinion.

As for crysis you have your opinion and others have theirs and that's all there is to it.

No dude, Crysis uses 2 threads, Why? Because at the time there was very little Quad core CPU's around.

So if Crysis is only maxing out 2 cores that's only ever going to be 50% CPU use.

CPU usage depends on when the game was made, The CPU in question and the type of game.

But still, As you were :)

Soldato
No dude, Crysis uses 2 threads, Why? Because at the time there was very little Quad core CPU's around.

So if Crysis is only maxing out 2 cores that's only ever going to be 50% CPU use.

CPU usage depends on when the game was made, The CPU in question and the type of game.

But still, As you were :)

AS i said and i will highlight the main point again for you because the main point is what i was talking about from the beginning and still am.

You didn't answer the main point instead your talking about crysis.

There's no such thing as a badly coded game, Just a game that requires a lot of CPU power.
You can use that excuse for any aspect of programming including gfx.

There's no such thing as a badly coded game, Just a game that requires a lot of GPU power.

There's no such thing as a badly coded game, Just a game that requires a lot of RAM.

There's no such thing as a badly coded program, Just a program that requires a lot of CPU Ghz/RAM.

It does not matter how badly something may run, its always the lack of hardware that is at fault never the coding.

I don't know of or even heard of a coder who would make such claims.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't know of or even heard of a coder who would make such claims.

Absolutely. Even in my tiny, minuscule dabbling in to the world of programming I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there certainly is such as thing as a poorly programmed application. If there isn't then why is a huge chunk of a programmer's time taken up by increasing performance? Is he saying it's a case of "Just write a program to perform a function and that's it, that's the speed it takes to do that job."?! To do it that way, yes! But there's more than one way to skin a cat... there are countless ways to create a program that will produce the same function at the end, but the way in which it does it can improve/destroy performance very easily. It doesn't just apply to games :p

Just look at Minecraft for god's sake. Obvious example is obvious.

Associate
OP
Update!!!!!!

I went out and bought a second hand quad Core Xenon (x3210) Managed to get it from 2.13GHZ to 3.2GHZ stabkle and easy and am now getting 50-70 FPS in ultra!!! Turns out it was CPU! Not bad for £30 upgrade lol

Back
Top Bottom