Cheddar - Cathedral City or Pilgrims Choice?

Soldato
OP
I have to admit I was expecting a bit more flavour from the Cathedral City, but it's about on par with most 'medium' strength cheddars.

For the half-price offer it's pretty good. But there's no way I'd pay the regular price.

Soldato
Mild Chedder for me, not even sure which brand it is, cathedral city is nice, don't think I've ever had Pilgrims

I usually get that massive block for about £3, I think it's tesco value lol

Soldato
Between those two it's all much of a muchness really. I'd probably done what you did and got the cheapest if I was just after a milder cheddar.

Good cheddar hurts a bit and makes your tongue go bumpy :D. I tend to buy more locally produced extra mature cheddars though.

Soldato
I have to admit I was expecting a bit more flavour from the Cathedral City, but it's about on par with most 'medium' strength cheddars.

For the half-price offer it's pretty good. But there's no way I'd pay the regular price.

Same. I only tend to buy it when it's on buy-one-get-one-free.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
For general purpose cooking or cheese on toast etc., either one would do. Like some have already said, I tend to get whichever one is on offer at the time (it's very rare at least one of them aren't).

If I want a nice tasting cheddar for a sandwich or on crackers, I'll go for a better quality farm made cheese. I recently had Isle of Mull cheddar which was so strong it hurt my mouth - as Muban rightly says, that's the sign of a good cheddar :D

Soldato
Definitely Pilgrim's if the choice is only between that and Cathedral City but I'm another fan of the black packet of Collier's powerful Welsh cheddar. I'm more into smoked cheeses at the moment though.

Man of Honour
Currently have about half a kilo of Black Bomber in the fridge. Superb stuff.
Also have a small Stichelton * unpasteurised stilton, thats not allowed to be called stilton* and some Wooky Hole cave aged Cheddar.

Helps that we've got a fantastic cheese shop just around the corner from the flat.

Back
Top Bottom