Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I'm getting back into running and really want to enter some events for the first time. I want to try a 5k, then maybe a 10k. I can just about manage 8 minutes a mile which isn't great but I've not really done a lot of running reciently although I do a lot of biking. Can I expect to see my time drop to around 20 minutes (5k) with a few months of training or is that aiming too high?
Cheers.:cool:

Associate
I've noticed a few posts on these minimalist shoes and have been considering a pair for myself...

Do you guys think it would be okay to use the trail versions mainly for road use? Specifically the New Balance MT00... I quite like the whole idea and i suppose it does make sense, bit like why a hard saddle is better for you. Not sure it works the same way mind you = D

Associate
I'm getting back into running and really want to enter some events for the first time. I want to try a 5k, then maybe a 10k. I can just about manage 8 minutes a mile which isn't great but I've not really done a lot of running reciently although I do a lot of biking. Can I expect to see my time drop to around 20 minutes (5k) with a few months of training or is that aiming too high?
Cheers.:cool:

Should be doable. 3 sessions a week, one interval, one tempo and one long run. Assuming you're not carrying excess mass you should be able to do it. Don't make the mistake of going out and running the same pace every time. Using a heart rate monitor is a great way of guiding your workouts.

Caporegime
I've noticed a few posts on these minimalist shoes and have been considering a pair for myself...

Do you guys think it would be okay to use the trail versions mainly for road use? Specifically the New Balance MT00... I quite like the whole idea and i suppose it does make sense, bit like why a hard saddle is better for you. Not sure it works the same way mind you = D

Are these for cross country? The tread on them is a bit erm - mad?

Associate
21:39 on Saturday's 5K. That included over a minute of waiting to register my time, so I'm creeping towards that 20 minute mark. I'm chuffed!

Unless you using your own timing, you'll find that park run register your time as you cross the line and then cross reference to your position which is what they scan you for :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Unless you using your own timing, you'll find that park run register your time as you cross the line and then cross reference to your position which is what they scan you for :)
Yup. I had to wait on the line for over a minute before I got scanned :)

Edit: ah wait, are you saying there's another person on the line (or a beam breaker) clicking in the times as people go over? I didn't see anyone - I just crossed the line and had to queue for a barcode and a scan...

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just started getting into running as part of my weight loss plan for the last 3 weeks. I've got a route that's 2.8 miles long and includes a park, lake and road. It's a pleasant run with decent scenery.

Week 1 - Ran/walked in 34:33 which was the fastest of the 2 times I did

Week 2 - Ran/walked in 31:27 which was the fastest of the 2 times I did

Week 3 - Ran/walked in 30:07 which was the fastest of the 3 times I did

I'm using an App for my iPhone called Cyclemeter to log and plot my Route.

As you can see I'm walking (Fast) allot of this but I am gradually running more and it as been a little difficult with the snow and ice lately. I'm using an old pair of Nike "Running" trainers I know they're not great but I'm loathed to spend serious money atm. at least till I can run the 2.8 mile without walking.

I am getting to the stage where i'm just starting to enjoy it but i'm wondering if I were to keep up my running 3 times a week (Mon,Wed,Fri) when i might expect to be able to run the whole 2.8 miles without reverting to walking some of it?

Soldato

Edit: ah wait, are you saying there's another person on the line (or a beam breaker) clicking in the times as people go over? I didn't see anyone - I just crossed the line and had to queue for a barcode and a scan...

Events like this tend to use a "chip" of some sort. They have mats at the start/end of the route and this picks up the chip as you go past. The scanning bit at the end then tallies that chip up with the times it has recorded so you get your time i.e.

Chip scanned = chip 38, this is then looked at on the computer -

Chip 38 start time = 10:00:00,
Chip 38 finish time = 10:21:39,
Running time = finish time-start time = 21:39.

Associate

As per your edit, at my parkrun, theres somebody on the line with a small machine clicking as you cross the line to get the time for each position. When you get scanned, it just relates your name to the finishing position.

As I said though, that's just my local one and I haven't been to any others so you may still be correct.

Events like this tend to use a "chip" of some sort. They have mats at the start/end of the route and this picks up the chip as you go past. The scanning bit at the end then tallies that chip up with the times it has recorded so you get your time i.e.

Chip scanned = chip 38, this is then looked at on the computer -

Chip 38 start time = 10:00:00,
Chip 38 finish time = 10:21:39,
Running time = finish time-start time = 21:39.

The parkrun events are a little less proffesional as they are free and use public parks (which remain fully open during the run) so no chips are used. Still great fun though.

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't been getting on very well with normal running shoes recently so decided to try the minimal approach and ended up with these:

I've only been out in them once so can't really comment much yet, but so far so good.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
As per your edit, at my parkrun, theres somebody on the line with a small machine clicking as you cross the line to get the time for each position. When you get scanned, it just relates your name to the finishing position.

As I said though, that's just my local one and I haven't been to any others so you may still be correct.
I'll keep an eye out next time I do one. Maybe just as well I didn't jump the queue to register my barcode then :D

Soldato
Interesting target 20mins for the 5k Jonny, part of my run is a 1.6 mile loop around a reservoir. I normally do a lap in just over 10mins without really trying. I'm going to have to now see what I can run the 5k in.

Need some new running shoes though, so heading to the running shop near me.

Associate
Depends entirely on your situation, just go very easy after the rest and if you get no pain build up time/distance gradually over several runs.

Remember to stretch a lot and look for strengthening stretches to do whilst resting also.

Back
Top Bottom