BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 75.8 Mbps and upstream line speed of 20 Mbps.

I'd go for this if it wasnt for the 18 month contract, Looks like virign for me!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you.

I chosed the 2750n for it's DNLA support, but Draytek isn't the easiest work out, as there is usually two or three models per series, i.e 2750, 2750n, 2750vn all with different features.

No probs and cheers.

Just got a reply

Thanks for your email.The maximum firewall througput on this model is
100meg.Please see the comparison chart below. 50Mb/s(BT Infinity) is used for
reference.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison.html

Regards,

so should be good ypto 100meg - but confusing as that chart doesnt seem to sit with the throughput speeds advertised for the 2750n :S

Soldato
mine says

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 38.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.1Mbps.

Where as on Speedtest and the BT speed tester im getting over 8meg upload :)

Associate
No probs, think im gonna try the 2850n :)

Still on 40/10 here (38/8.5 in reality)

Let me know how that goes, been thinking of getting one myself since I have a /29 unused as I have no router that supports it...

Shame Zen have no plans for native IPv6 anytime soon.

Associate
I think the Speedchecker has been updated to reflect if ALL parts of the system are actually capable of delivering the max speed.

For example, mine has gone from 35/10 from being 40/10.. I know my max attainable is over 80/20, but the page still says 40/10.

I also know my exchange is not ready to deliver 80/20 right now. I don't know what part isn't, but I should be on the technical trial right now, but I'm not because BT are telling Zen my exchange doesn't support it. It's coming "soon".. just not yet. (I wish there was a spreadsheet for that...)

I imagine the people who are showing speeds above 40/10 are on exchanges where this has been enabled; if you were on the trial, you'd be getting those speeds now.

Associate
I think the Speedchecker has been updated to reflect if ALL parts of the system are actually capable of delivering the max speed.

For example, mine has gone from 35/10 from being 40/10.. I know my max attainable is over 80/20, but the page still says 40/10.

Thats what I'm finding, Whilst I'm getting the full 40/10 and have since my install date (27/10/11) the checker used to estimate me to get 32/10, I've just checked again and it's now predicting 40/10 here. Another address from the same exchange I tried was originally quoted 27/7 and is now also showing 40/10.

So the launch of 80/20 has to be soon, the big question is will there be a charge, especially considering the recent Virgin Media speed increases.

Associate
Thats what I'm finding, Whilst I'm getting the full 40/10 and have since my install date (27/10/11) the checker used to estimate me to get 32/10, I've just checked again and it's now predicting 40/10 here. Another address from the same exchange I tried was originally quoted 27/7 and is now also showing 40/10.

So the launch of 80/20 has to be soon, the big question is will there be a charge, especially considering the recent Virgin Media speed increases.

Same here and like as you too have asked the same thing as me are the current users of the 40/10 package going to get a upgrade to 80/20?

I think that with Virgin upping the anti with there free upgrade I think it only fair that BT Infinity customers get the free up grade

40/2 users get the 40/10 and the 40/10 users get the 80/20 service??

Would be nice as I am on option 2 Unlimited Business Package.

Associate
Just had my install done, the engineer said that I'm getting full speed to the main socket. I'm currently downloading skyrim off of steam and don't seem to be loosing much of anything over wifi.

Soldato
Is anyone on Infinity on the Poplar/Isle of Dogs exchange? Just want to get an idea if performance is any good at peak times. Don't care about BitTorrent. I only use HTTP and HTTPS and IPsec for VPNs into work.

You'd hope that given the proximity to the Docklands datacenters where BT are based, they'd just install the biggest fat pipe possible!

Associate
Is anyone on Infinity on the Poplar/Isle of Dogs exchange? Just want to get an idea if performance is any good at peak times. Don't care about BitTorrent. I only use HTTP and HTTPS and IPsec for VPNs into work.

You'd hope that given the proximity to the Docklands datacenters where BT are based, they'd just install the biggest fat pipe possible!

Yep, I'm on the Poplar exchange. Downloads and SSL usenet happily max out my BT connection at 40/10 so there doesn't seem to be any exchange congestion. Much better than the 3mbit ADSL I used to get, which was pretty bad since I can see GS1/Telehouse out of the window.

Back
Top Bottom