Tool for users to easily send large files

Permabanned
I'm sure Sharepoint can do it (although it remains to be seen whether the Foundation version can?)

Any other suggestions? We're looking for something to be hosted in-house really.

Permabanned
OP
Expecting completely random people at other companies to use SFTP to retrieve files sent to them just isn't going to work.

I was thinking more along the lines of something that would allow them to download it via HTTP, but being used by users - it needs to be absolutely fool proof.

Soldato
If it doesnt need to be secure at all a simple IIS/Apache web server thats been hardened would suffice I guess - my old place insisted on SFTP for any transfers but it was financial services :)

Soldato
You'd be crazy to run a secure file transfer on anything other than SFTP - seriously look into it :)

Its dead simple once setup for you / users.

Permabanned
OP
Perhaps I should have been clearer in my OP - this is intended to be a replacement for attaching large files in emails.

There are plenty of secure means of moving files without using SFTP.

How do you suggest I train the people the files are being sent on how to use it? Also, for it to work, every person the file is sent to would need their own user account etc.

Anyway, the need of security doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be bullet proof. In this instance, it's simply a case of not being easily accessible/browsable on a public webserver.

A solution that would work would be say a web app where the user can upload a file, choose how long it is valid for and how many times it can be downloaded. This would then give them a very unique link to download the file, enforcing the parameters set by the uploader.

This would mean that the recipient would just need to click a link to download it. The App can monitor whether the download completed for each client and remove access once the download limit has been set.

Of course this is just an example - I could develop something myself, but I was hoping to save time and find something off the shelf.

Associate
i'm about to evaluate two products - one from ipswitch and another from globalscape. either of them can be installed on premise or via a hosted solution whichever works best for you. both of them offer a web portal and also email integration. the idea being you you can either manually upload a file and then email out a link to said file, or you can just attach a file to an email and it will handle it dynamically. both systems offer capabilities to centrally administer policies surrounding things like file size, retention, etc and both systems have database back ends which log everything that is done within the system. everything is done over https so there shouldn't be any issues with firewalls etc and if you're running a decent proxy with ssl decryption then you can dynamically inspect the traffic for any dlp requirements you may have. you can't buy direct (i guess you could if you were big enough) so i'm talking to a uk reseller called handd. hope this helps.

Permabanned
OP
Just as an update, I wrote my own in the end.

After looking at various licensing for the other products, it didn't seem like too bad an idea time/cost wise to just do it myself.

It uses LDAP for authentication and grabs users' contacts from Exchange, which are the two plus points for doing it myself in the end.

Back
Top Bottom