M17XR3 - £880

Soldato
Alienware M17xR3 : Stealth Black Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 1 £ 717.48
Alienware M17xR3 : Stealth Black
Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Wireless: Dell 375 Bluetooth Card
Graphics: 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Display: 17.3 inch WideHD+ (1600 x 900) WLED LCD
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION
AntiVirus: McAfee SecurityCenter 30 Day trial version
4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
Back Up Media Not Included
Misc
Wireless : Dell Wireless 1501 wireless-N
Certified Refurbished

Worth it?

Soldato
only thing that isnt great is the resolution. i think i could live with that but i think some other's would be put off because of it.
i think you could do better. but it really depends on what your wanting it to do.

Associate
1600*900 is a nice everyday resolution, but I guess it's more of an ideal 15.6" resolution than 17".
Seems a pretty nice spec and as you say baseline.

Associate
In the future you can also upgrade the graphics card too.

I don't think that's possible. AFAIK the GPU is part of the motherboard, meaning a GPU upgrade, means a new motherboard as well, which won't be cheap.

My uncle had an alienware laptop and one of the component that was a part of the motherboard broke (I think it was welded to it). So in the future you'd be in the same sort of position. To fix the problem (i.e upgrade GPU), you'd also have to replace the motherboard. He got told it would be cheaper for him to throw it in the bin and get a new computer/laptop that it would to fix it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think that's possible. AFAIK the GPU is part of the motherboard, meaning a GPU upgrade, means a new motherboard as well, which won't be cheap.

My uncle had an alienware laptop and one of the component that was a part of the motherboard broke (I think it was welded to it). So in the future you'd be in the same sort of position. To fix the problem (i.e upgrade GPU), you'd also have to replace the motherboard. He got told it would be cheaper for him to throw it in the bin and get a new computer/laptop that it would to fix it.

Thats not correct. The graphics cards can be upgraded. Have a look on youtube at a m17/m18 teardown video.

Last edited:
Associate
I think you'd be better off spending a bit more now rather than having to upgrade everything later. For £990 I got a refurb M17x R3 with a i7-2760QM, Radeon 6990M, 2x320GB drives and the 1080p screen.

Soldato

All Dell alienware machines of sizes M15X and above use MXM :)

It would cost too much to design the PCB for different high end chips. That's if the PCB has enough layers to accommodate it.

Soldato
OP
All Dell alienware machines of sizes M15X and above use MXM :)

It would cost too much to design the PCB for different high end chips. That's if the PCB has enough layers to accommodate it.

whats MXM mate?

AFAIK the following are upgradable reasonably easily on an M17

Memory
CPU
GPU
primary HDD
secondary HDD
screen (maybe easy dont know!)

Back
Top Bottom