• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nVidia drivers - WHQL release schedule?

bru

bru

Soldato
Ive just read this thread and my friend was reading over my shoulder, and as i was reading that Machinist only uses WHQL drivers my friend said "thats why ATI drivers suck so much".
Now apart from me laughing at him for a few minutes and then going on to tell him that ATI are now AMD, we got down to the point about driver releases and with AMD's fairly regular release schedule, which he argued that is why the AMD drivers have so many issues whereas the Nvidia ones don't. Now i said this isn't the case and both companies drivers have issues and its an old stigma that has dogged ATI/AMD from way back that their drivers are pap.

after the argument and my friend had gone home Ive looked at my machine and realized that I'm running the Nvidia driver version 280.26 and everything works fine Ive not had any issues at all. So even though Ive just argued the opposite point it makes me wonder is it AMD frequent release schedule that causes the "AMD drivers are pap" stigma or is it really just nonsense.

Permabanned
I was on 290.53 and then had one driver crash and was like "oh" then upgraded to 295.51 beta and all has been fine since.

I don't bother with WHQL anymore really, I'm always on beta drivers with pretty much zero issues. If a constant issue is present, can always revert.

Soldato
Personally i like amds monthly release schedule over nvidias eratic releases of betas. I dont change driver every month though especially if all my games are running good. The good thing with amd is a whql driver is there each month if you need them. I just changed from 11.10 to 12.1 for the sake of it though and everything i am playing is great as usual. I think pebkac is the main reason for driver problems on both sides. I just cant see myself being so lucky over the years to not suffer with many driver problems.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
after the argument and my friend had gone home Ive looked at my machine and realized that I'm running the Nvidia driver version 280.26 and everything works fine Ive not had any issues at all. So even though Ive just argued the opposite point it makes me wonder is it AMD frequent release schedule that causes the "AMD drivers are pap" stigma or is it really just nonsense.

The AMD regular release schedule isn't the cause of AMD driver issues... but neither is it of any real benefit if you look at it purely objectively... it might be if they kept up the effort behind the scenes but they don't.

Personally the nVidia driver release schedule doesn't really bother me - its very rare I've been waiting for a driver to support new games, usually there is atleast one driver thats completely solid even if not the highest performing - even if some of the newer drivers have issues.

While I think that ATI/AMD drivers being terrible is a thing of the past people seem to ignore the scale/relevance of the problem(s) when comparing nVidia and AMD drivers. AMD drivers generally are much more robust these days than they used to be but they don't have as timely updates for new products as nVidia and when they do have problems they tend to affect a larger number of customers. nVidia driver issues tend to typically affect fairly limited numbers of their customers and are usually dealt with in a more timely fashion and/or atleast taken more seriously as the threads on their forums show.

Soldato
The AMD regular release schedule isn't the cause of AMD driver issues... but neither is it of any real benefit if you look at it purely objectively... it might be if they kept up the effort behind the scenes but they don't.

Personally the nVidia driver release schedule doesn't really bother me - its very rare I've been waiting for a driver to support new games, usually there is atleast one driver thats completely solid even if not the highest performing - even if some of the newer drivers have issues.

While I think that ATI/AMD drivers being terrible is a thing of the past people seem to ignore the scale/relevance of the problem(s) when comparing nVidia and AMD drivers. AMD drivers generally are much more robust these days than they used to be but they don't have as timely updates for new products as nVidia and when they do have problems they tend to affect a larger number of customers. nVidia driver issues tend to typically affect fairly limited numbers of their customers and are usually dealt with in a more timely fashion and/or atleast taken more seriously as the threads on their forums show.

The difference in that point is that there is better feed back on the NV forum, but lack of feedback on a forum does not mean issues or not taken seriously, its just that you don't know if it is.
But yes it would be better if there was better feedbaclk on the AMD forum but there are other ways to find out what's going on if you really need to.

Last edited:
Soldato
My bad:o I should have known that too, as I switched from 295.51 to 290.53 with which I currently have zero problems, not even the "driver recovered error".

Lol no worries mate. Aye I also had the memory leak issue with the 295.51 and submitted TDR reports to manualG at nvidia due to them plus numerous other bugs I've encountered or heard of from other users.

Back
Top Bottom