ebay question,regarding laptop i sold.

Associate
basically, ive just sold my laptop on ebay for £1350, was a buy it now and she paidwithin 7 hours and its in my paypal, i can spend from it as i tried by buying alan wake on steam so i dont think its withheld. anyway, iwant this togo as smooth as possible and to ensure i dont get ripped off i want some advice. now what do i do now with such a high value item, do i take pics of it, thentake pics of it in the packaging, obviously send it insured, etc, basically, what can i do to ensure she can never claimshe didnt recieve it or say its broken. 1350 for an alienware is a lot and i dont want skanky paypal charging me 1350 so i want to ensure everything goes alright for me. ill package it up really well and ill take somesnaps of it.

Soldato
Film it booting up, pictures of serial numbers and tamper proof screws / under labels, part numbers, any marks, the packaging and the box. Then insure it properly and cross your fingers

Soldato
check the terms and conditions of whoever you use to deliver it because some delivery services insurance doesn't include things like screens so might not include laptops with screens i really don't know.

Associate
OP
great idea. ill take an sd card worth of pics lol. ill film it booting and take snaps of all the parts you mentioned. its actually a warranty replacement ill be sending, so its brand new there are no marks.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Note down all serials/IDs on all parts of the hardware.
Take extensive pictures, showing it working.
Pics of screen to show it works.
Also could mark it with a UV pen somewhere unnoticeable, maybe inside battery compartment?

Pics of it packed, WELL PACKED, Send it fully trackable and fully insured for the replacement costs.

Dont post to anywhere other than the verified address supplied by paypal

Associate
When I have sold something of high value in the past I have put dispatch of item as 5-7 days, this gives me time to transfer the money to my bank account to make sure i have the money before the item leaves my hands.

As mention above take pictures of item and item packaged and then send via a courier who will insure it for damage or loss to the value of the item.

Permabanned
If you film it, make sure you include a copy of today's newspaper with the recording to ensure it's legit. In future, add a disclaimer. I'll loan you my eBay disclaimer:

All goods sold 'as is' with no warranty given nor implied. If item arrive DOA then all refunds are subject to an independent review by an independent loss adjuster.

Now, that 'independent' loss adjuster is usually from the courier, but putting it on to your auctions tends to drive scam artists away.

Soldato
Congrats first of all for actually selling! ;)

I have pos feedback of almost 300 and whenever I try to sell a laptop (or most items) I get nothing but timewasters asking tons of questions and about 20 watchers, but no buyers :mad:

Associate
OP
exactlywhat i had lol, this was the 5th and final relist, always 234970427 watchers and offers through email and you take your time to carefully answer them for them to never ever reply. cheers guys, the video and newspaper is a good idea, ill take one long film and make sure to get in all serial numbers, walk over to a clock as well asholda newspaper, ill mark the laptop with a uv pen too. i know it all seems drastic, but, who wouldnt over 1350

Soldato
I thought I was the only one doh!

Better take all these measures to be honest as there seems to be more and more scammers around. And buyers have maximum protection compared to sellers. If the buyer wanted to return they are pretty much 99% able to get a return and refund, sucks as a seller.

When I have sold something of high value in the past I have put dispatch of item as 5-7 days, this gives me time to transfer the money to my bank account to make sure i have the money before the item leaves my hands.

Doesn't work. I sold a computer last year, transferred the money into my bank and yet they still managed to get the money back out of my bank via a charge-back.

Associate
OP
cant chargeit back if youve spent it haha, as arule of thumb if i want to saveany money it goes into savings, i tend to leave my current account empty, stops things like that happening.

Back
Top Bottom