Colleagues knowing your pay

Soldato
I couldn't care less but then I don't work in an environment where there is competition for increased pay, I'd probably be a bit more protective of my pay details if I worked in a place where there wasn't a defined pay scale and pay was based on aptitude/experience and hard work

Caporegime
Only bothers me because I earn more than others in my team who have been there longer than me, I know this because I was told this when taken on, it's only a grand or 2 more than the others but it 'could' cause issues. :p

Thread derail. Hey Phate, you meeting my boss tomorrow by chance?

Caporegime
Depends...if her name begins with a D or not? :p

If so, that answers a few questions! :D

Will you be there buddy? :)

It certainly does begin with D and his with C. No I won't be there for the meet tomorrow but if it goes okay you will see me in August. ;)

Booked the hotel for them yesterday in Lincolnshire.

ANd yes, I did put your name forward but let's keep that between ourselves shall we?

And of course, I don;t spend all day on the forum while at work..........:rolleyes:

Caporegime
It certainly does begin with D and his with C. No I won't be there for the meet tomorrow but if it goes okay you will see me in August. ;)

Booked the hotel for them yesterday in Lincolnshire.

ANd yes, I did put your name forward but let's keep that between ourselves shall we?

And of course, I don;t spend all day on the forum while at work..........:rolleyes:
Oh I thought you were the husband of D :p

Good thing I found that out now :D - Thanks for the reference. Look forward to meeting you in August. :)

Soldato
If they had opened my payslip then yes id be very angry,But if there are other people doing the same role then of course it wont be a big secret what your earning...

Although i dont see what the big deal is,I know how much my Supervisors..and backup supervisors are on...infact i think they told someone then of course it got spread around.

Soldato
I would say, those that don't want people to know what they earn obviously don't justify that wage difference to their colleagues. If they made the effort and got paid more but earnt it I don' think they would be as bothered.

OP: Drama Queen

Associate
In a team where all of us are aged 20-something, we kinda know what each of us are on but we don't gab about it. Then again, it's a pretty relaxed company so that might effect things.

Permabanned
I would and do only share people with the same job. Anyone outside my department it has nothing to do with them.

Equal pay for the same job though so it's OK to share in that scenario.

I tell no-one about my savings / bank accounts / cash in hand as it has nothing to do with anyone else.

Man of Honour
Sorry if I am hijacking: what about other people knowing how much you've got in your savings/bank? Do people keep quiet about that - what level of privacy is this?

I wouldn't go shouting about it but depending on who it was I might tell them if asked - a few close friends would be about the limit and even then they're unlikely to ask as it's not really important, anyone else doesn't need to know unless it's an institution lending me money.

Associate
I dont talk about wages, best not to know in my opinion. Finding out the guys who do the same job as you are on £150 a week take home more than you is a bit gutting :(

Soldato
Can be awkward. I know for a fact I earn the most in a team of 6, and I think a few of them have worked it out. However, I am very good at my job, and I feel I am worth it, obviously so do the firm I work for, as they employed me, and matched my asking price. What is awkward about is when, whilst talking to colleagues, who try to get the figure out of you slyly.

However, I am far from guilty, I feel I am the most competant at my job within my team, also, my CV (experience) speaks for itself. If others have issues with your pay, they need to bring that up with management/HR, and try and explain that they are as valuable as you are. One thing you should never do is divulge what you are paid, it may seem innocent, but it will open the gates of hell, and create huge rifts. Even if your fellow team mates suspect you are one more, they can not prove it. It's best to leave it that way.

Associate
I wouldn't mind myself, but at my place I am the only one doing my job (in terms of title and responsibilities) so it wouldn't really be a competition as such.

I also work "like a boss" so can't see why anyone of take issue with my salary.

Back
Top Bottom