Will a Modern PC Motherboard Display its POST & UEFI BIOS on a HDTV

Associate
Been wondering if I'm going to be able to configure & setup my upcoming build on a 1080p HDTV. I know old style POST & BIOS wouldn't show on a TV screen as they never supported that initial low res mode & the first screen you'd be presented with was the 'Windows Loading Bar' screen.

Is it the same with the new higher res UEFI style BIOS or will be able to access it ok on an HDTV the plan is to use that for a couple of months after buying the components to give me a chance to save for a decent monitor.

Associate
I have a Gigabite P55 US3L and it shows on a HDTV from start-up and my monitor at the same time, but I am using a GPU so that might affect it

Soldato
Good question never thought of this. I am also going to be using my PC with my LED tv so this would be handy to know.

Associate
OP
Ok so it certainly looks possible, perhaps VGA is the key unless BluDawg can confirm he's connecting via HDMI from his GPU - TV.

I've got a Samsung TV and it's got a VGA connector so a worst case scenario might be a DVI - VGA cable/adapter.

It'd still be nice to get confirmation of both ATI/NVIDIA & HDMI/VGA showing POST & access to BIOS.

Last edited:
Associate
my bios does show up on my tv

but when windows start to load windows the screen goes blue (like its been disconected) then will show when i get into windows

Soldato
It probably depends on the HD TV you are using and how it handles low resolution signals through the HDMI. Personally I have hooked up three different PCs (two AMD graphics, one Nvidia) to three different LG 1080p TVs (one plasma, two LCDs - all 2010 or 2011 models) using the HDMI port and they all show the POST and BIOS (one of these was a newer ASUS board with a UEFI BIOS, which also worked fine).

Last edited:
Associate
Ok so it certainly looks possible, perhaps VGA is the key unless BluDawg can confirm he's connecting via HDMI from his GPU - TV.

I've got a Samsung TV and it's got a VGA connector so a worst case scenario might be a DVI - VGA adapter.

It'd still be nice to get confirmation of both ATI/NVIDIA & HDMI/VGA showing POST & access to BIOS.

Yeah its a HDMI cable going strait from my ATI HD Radeon 5870 to a HDMI port on my TV

Associate
OP
^ Ok cool maybe it just works these days last time I had a TV hooked up to a PC it was non-HD and connected with a S-VHS cable.

Can you access the BIOS ok as well?

Back
Top Bottom