Have you ever made this mistake during a job interview? (pay)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
So I had a job interview today, and I've had a couple so far, but this is the first one that has asked me directly what sort of package I am looking for at the first interview.

I got caught off guard and immediately replied with what I would 'settle' for (Which is a decent increase for me, but not stratospheric by any means), and got the reply 'That's well within our budget for this role'..... I felt like such an idiot the second after I'd done that. I did this as I have spoken to a lot of agencies, where I have outlined my actual requirements, so they can match me with what is out there. Obv. agents are always keen to get you the most £ possible, as they normally get commission off your salary.

Any tips on how I can rescue the situation? :D

Soldato
Did you only talk about pay or did you mention other benefits like pensions, healthcare, holidays, company car, etc.? If you only spoke about salary and they're unwilling to offer you more than you would settle for then you could try to get them to sweeten the deal with other benefits.

Soldato
So I had a job interview today, and I've had a couple so far, but this is the first one that has asked me directly what sort of package I am looking for at the first interview.

I got caught off guard and immediately replied with what I would 'settle' for (Which is a decent increase for me, but not stratospheric by any means), and got the reply 'That's well within our budget for this role'..... I felt like such an idiot the second after I'd done that. I did this as I have spoken to a lot of agencies, where I have outlined my actual requirements, so they can match me with what is out there. Obv. agents are always keen to get you the most £ possible, as they normally get commission off your salary.

Any tips on how I can rescue the situation? :D

Yeah. If they offer you the job they might still offer you more money. If they don't, say you would like to work with them but have been offered another job for more money. Begin negotiations......

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
I said I wanted around xx,xxx.

Yes we talked about other benefits but one thing they cannot match (that I have now) is share options, as they are not listed.

:(

Soldato
Yeah. If they offer you the job they might still offer you more money. If they don't, say you would like to work with them but have been offered another job for more money. Begin negotiations......

This - just say that as the salary mentioned was "well within their budget" that when you interviewed with a different company you decided to go a fair amount higher and have subsequently been offered the higher amount elsewhere.

Remember to say that you'd rather keep the name of the other company to yourself for the time being... because they will ask. Also, try not to make it too obvious tht=at you're negotiating by reinforcing your interest for the first job opportunity whilst mentioning how surprised you were with the scond inflated (fake) offer.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Being recently promoted and so now sitting the other side of the desk I would rather advance people that fit the bill, and weren't asking the earth. I'd also pay them, a fair rate irrespective of their lower expectations.

Soldato
I was asked the same thing one time.
I answered just as the OP did so that's the salary they then offered me the position at. I regretted it for the next 3 years before being promoted. Definitely try & negotiate higher if they've already hinted that a higher salary is on offer.

Soldato
I once suggested I would take any pay so long as it was above minimum wage as I really really needed a job.

Didn't get it (probably because I hadn't passed my driving test)

Associate
We'be all been offered a job and wondered if we could have got more.

Remember you said what you said because that's the amount you would be happy with. So your mind should be focused on if you want the job, not how much more you could have got. If its well within budget then you're more likely to get promoted if you do well.

So many people (including me) make comparisons against others, which gives the attitude of never being fulfilled and wanting more. You said how much will make you happy, so be happy if they offer you that.

Soldato
Ouch, that's difficult. If you're not desperate to change jobs you could try the approach above saying you've been offered X amount by another place, but you really like the firm and wonder if they could possibly match it?

Only problem here is that they could call your bluff.

Caporegime
We'be all been offered a job and wondered if we could have got more.

Remember you said what you said because that's the amount you would be happy with. So your mind should be focused on if you want the job, not how much more you could have got. If its well within budget then you're more likely to get promoted if you do well.

So many people (including me) make comparisons against others, which gives the attitude of never being fulfilled and wanting more. You said how much will make you happy, so be happy if they offer you that.

I disagree. OP gave a figure he thought he would be happy with only to be told that they can afford more. Apart from the fact that this was a stupid thing for the employer to state, it shows that they are willing to pay more for a suitable candidate. Let's assume the OP is a suitable candidate. Why should he accept what he thought was a realistic salary when he knows they will pay more?

Now, how he moves from his position is a different matter and is a harder negotiation for sure but to just accept it because he had a number in mind before they even talked about salary is daft.

And to those talking about working up to it through promotions in a few years and blah blah blah - this is what companies love to hear. It is salary avoidance nirvana for managers with a budget. OP, definitely have a career progression but don't think because they said they have more budget this year that will be the case next financial year and even if it is it might not be there for you.

Find out what the market rates are and grade yourself against them. Remember you want the job and make sure that comes across but equally try and eke out as much as you can now when they want you. Because it is much harder to do this once they have your contract signed. It's a substantial shift of power.

Soldato
Last job interview I had they asked what salary I was currently on, (15k) then told me what the salary was for this job (24k) my reply? "WHEN DO I START?" needless to say I didn't get the job due to the age old repsonse of "lack of experience" my response "Why the hell do you think I applied for the job? ....to get more experience!"

Don't think I'll be hearing from them anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom