Lack of sharpness

Associate
I seem to have a complete lack of sharpness in a lot of my images, at first I thought I was at fault, I probably still am. However it appears that no matter if I get the focus point dead on, with a ******* speed of 200 or lower, an apature of 5.6 (fully zoomed out) or lower (usually 4.0 for most of my photography), on a tripod with a still / slightly moving subject that the images still turn out a bit muffled. sort of like they are just not in focus at all, even dead on the focus point it isn't focused.

I have a Canon 60D
Tamron 70-300 VC USD SP
Tamron 17-50 VC

To me it appears that my Canon 350D with its 55-250mm and kit lense takes sharper images. I am thoroughy disgruntled as it has lead to quite a lot of dissapointment in my photography.

Are there tips / any thing I can do to check / rectify this issue?

Associate
Aside from potential back/front focusing, it sounds like you're using the 70-300 wide open (i.e at it's max aperture of 4 or 5.6). Rarely are lenses great when you shoot "wide open" and can look a little soft unless you close down the aperture (try f/8.0). Certainly if you're shooting with L zooms/primes then it's not so much of an issue but try stopping down the aperture and see if you notice any improvement.

Caporegime
There could be be a focusing issue with your lenses but from the way you have worded your post I think more likely there is a technique issue.

With a shutter speed of 1/200 at 300mm on crop body I wouldn't expect to get get anyway near sharp results, try 1/500s

F/4.0 is a larger aperature than f/5.6 so cannot be called a lower aperture, I don't know what you mean here. Just make sure you have sufficient DoF to have your subject suitably in focus, but beware of diffraction limits.

You say you are using a tripod but without any information of the type of tripod it is hard to to know if this is causing a problem. A cheap tripod that allows any kind of vibration or movement is worse than hand holding. Put your biggest lens on the tripod zoomed in so the lens is at it longest. tap the end of the lens, there should not be a single vibration anywhere visible, even after a sharp tap. Most tripods fail to achieve this and so are fairly useless.

And when using a tripod you should use mirror-up (or exposure delay) and preferably use a wireless or corded remote, or timer.

Also, on a tripod make sure the VC/VR/IS/OS is switched off.

There could be a back/front focusing issue, there are easy ways to check this which we can discuss later but I would first try to eliminate technique errors.
I suggest you post some photos up so we can have a look.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the quick replies. I too think it is more to do with my lack of technique, I shall try take a few photos at f8, and hopefully in better light conditions. I have noticed that a few of my photos have had to be lightened up.

Soon as I get my camera back I'll get a photo up of how I currently am taking photos and using a the few tips in here.. Hopefully an improvement will be noticed!

Soldato
All lenses or just 1?
No way on earth I'd be happy shooting a 2.8 lens at F8.
If that's the case something is seriously up with either the camera or lens.

Post a sample using flash at F2.8
I doubt it is bad technique unless you are focusing, locking focus, and then wondering off before releasing the shutter.

Back
Top Bottom