What to do with a gammon joint

Soldato
Pick up 1.4kg gammon joint for £2 but have no idea how to cook it, what to glaze it with etc. Want to cook it then use it for sanwiches for the rest of the week. Anyone have any ideas?

Soldato
As above, simmer for a few hours using whatever you like. I normally use cider (my mom uses coke / cider / orange juice, whichever she has the most of when she does it), which makes it taste awesome! Chuck in a few star anise in there, as well as a few cloves pressed into the skin, and then finish it off for about 15 mins in the oven with a honey or maple syrup and mustard seed glaze. You'll love it :)

Man of Honour
I actually didn't like that coke recipe much to be honest. It wasn't the coke so much as the treacle at the end that really ruined it though. I can imagine coke working if I'd finished it off differently :)

I'll be posting my chinese shoulder pork recipe soon. It's not really chinese or particularly authentic 'anything' (as I just made it up) but it is delicious :p

edit: here it is: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18381192

Last edited:
Associate
Alternatively, boil it for about 20 mins in a big pan of water and then drain it. This reduces the meats saltyness.

Then slash the surface of the joint in criss cross pattern to about 3-5mm depth.

In a small bowl mix up 3 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of english mustard, some salt and pepper and a squeeze of 1/2 an orange. Mix well. Taste it and adjust mustard and seasoning to taste.

Spread some of the glaze all over the joint. Loosely cover with foil and Roast in the oven at 160 degrees for about an hour, basting with the glaze every 15 minutes or so.

leave to rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and serve. great leftovers the next day too!

Sorted.

DcD

DcD

Associate
Parboil in water for 30 mins.
Simmer in Dr Pepper, cloves, 1 whole orange in half, and star anise for a couple of hours.

Similiar to the coke recipe, but much better smokey flavour.

Back
Top Bottom