KONY 2012 - Campaign to arrest Joseph Kony

Caporegime
abit harsh?

Maybe, but what exactly has changed as a result of the billions and billions of pounds sent over there in the past?

Africa will not change for the better until its people actually want to help themselves and not simply rely on the rest of the world.

Associate
Latest Facebook bandwagon.
Will not be riding wagon.

This!

Looked on Facebook to find my wall spammed with this KONY 2012 nonsense just because its trending on twitter.

Ended up writing a long-winded message about why I do not support KONY 2012. Which, if big enough the events of April 20th will cost local governments thousands to clean up at a time when budgets are stretched and we're still seeing cutbacks left right and centre.

Soldato
OP
People just re-post it on Facebook/Twitter to make them seem all "deep" and "Neerr look at me I care," when really, no one will do anything more than watch a video and put their name down on a piece of paper.

Well given that that is the primary objective then that's good.

Not giving into this Kony stuff, there is always 2 sides to every story. I cant believe how quick people are to judge by seeing a 25 minute video, its stupid. Having US troops in Africa to remove this guy? No thanks.

The US troops are there to assist the Ugandan military. They are not directly engaged. There are only 100 I believe.

Just looked at their store, $10 for a braclet and $225 for the "Get everything pack" which consists of a couple of t-shirt, about 10 posters and 10 braclets. Don't know why they need to sharge so much for stuff like that.

It's a charity, they raise funds.

I have to say I find it interesting that some people are prepared to believe the stories of criticism over the IC story.

I'm afraid there aren't many verifiable facts on the internet. If you wanted to know the facts about IC I guess you'd need to go and work with them for some time and examine exactly what they do. They seem to be a very different kind of charity doing things in a different way. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Some of the accusations are hard to believe, I would prefer to believe these guys have a passionate life purpose and if they are dedicating their lives and endangering them to achieve that then they deserve some rewards for their work.

Whatever you say about IC, Kony is still indicted of serious war crimes and this campaign could really help to do justice, as well as spread general awareness about problems in Uganda.

Jason makes a really interesting comment that the video is an experiment. It already was, but now has an added element and I think it will be really interesting to see how the good Vs conspiracy bandwagons will balance out.

Associate
Maybe, but what exactly has changed as a result of the billions and billions of pounds sent over there in the past?

Africa will not change for the better until its people actually want to help themselves and not simply rely on the rest of the world.

my point exactly, weve sent millions upon millions for years for various causes, take feed the world for example, they get so excited that the nations raised so many millions, then, forward a year later, theyre doing it again, 10 years down the line, again and again and again and again, after all this time and potential billions im still seeing adverts on my tv with starving african children. i hope i dont sound too naive, but it seems its not doing much good, yeah schools have neen built and wells made but i bet half of what weve sent hasnt been used.

Soldato
Well given that that is the primary objective then that's good.

The US troops are there to assist the Ugandan military. They are not directly engaged. There are only 100 I believe.

It's a charity, they raise funds.

I have to say I find it interesting that some people are prepared to believe the stories of criticism over the IC story.

I'm afraid there aren't many verifiable facts on the internet. If you wanted to know the facts about IC I guess you'd need to go and work with them for some time and examine exactly what they do. They seem to be a very different kind of charity doing things in a different way. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Some of the accusations are hard to believe, I would prefer to believe these guys have a passionate life purpose and if they are dedicating their lives and endangering them to achieve that then they deserve some rewards for their work.

Whatever you say about IC, Kony is still indicted of serious war crimes and this campaign could really help to do justice, as well as spread general awareness about problems in Uganda.

Jason makes a really interesting comment that the video is an experiment. It already was, but now has an added element and I think it will be really interesting to see how the good Vs conspiracy bandwagons will balance out.

Have you read this:

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

November 2006

Associate
People just re-post it on Facebook/Twitter to make them seem all "deep" and "Neerr look at me I care," when really, no one will do anything more than watch a video and put their name down on a piece of paper.

Well said sir, my thoughts exactly. Far too much of this all over Facebook, and not just regarding this Kony fellow.

Soldato
In like the past 5 minutes...

kony.JPG

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Slacktivism. People can post the link on Facebook and feel they have done something worthwhile when in reality they have done nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom