SKY Go coming to Android next month! at last!

Associate
Read the thread, you might be in luck. ;)

Hi I did, adding a new account and verifying still doesn't increase the number of devices for me. It still remembers that I have an ipad and another device linked. It won't let met add another device.

Soldato
I'm having a little trouble getting voodoo to do it's thing. I've tried running it but 'protected su copy availiable' remains unticked so I don't get the hide root option. I'm running a desire with LeeDroid on it. Any ideas?

Soldato
Care to explain why admin accounts on a computer, which has the function built in as standard, and root access on a mobile phone, which is only enabled by a hack of some sort, are the same? :confused:

Apples and Oranges there....

Three of my Android tablets allow root from the factory without any kind of 'hack'.

Soldato
You're quite right, it does work on rooted devices as long as you use a program that temporarily hides the root.

It doesn't just 'hide the root' though - it actually unroots it and you need to reboot the phone for this to take effect. You then have to reboot it again after re-rooting it. Just because it's a bit easier than flashing a non-rooted ROM doesn't mean that Sky Go is working on a rooted phone. It's no different to having a Nandroid backup of the stock ROM, restoring this for Sky Go and then telling everyone you are running Sky Go on a rooted phone - you're not!!

Voodoo OTA even says "UN-ROOT" in big letters on the button you press to UN-ROOT it - that should give you a clue as to what it's doing. :D

svoj4.png

So I hope we're clear now and we can put this misconception to bed - Sky Go does NOT work on rooted phones.

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn't just 'hide the root' though - it actually unroots it and you need to reboot the phone for this to take effect. You then have to reboot it again after re-rooting it.

Wrong, once again.

You DO NOT need to reboot the phone at all. I certainly didnt. It is one click, the phone is then TEMPORARILY unrooted (or the root is hidden - whichever way you wish to word it, makes no difference really.) And then another click roots it again or takes it back to how it was before.

So I hope we're clear now and we can put this misconception to bed - Sky Go does NOT work on rooted phones.

No one is disputing this, but there is a clear and easy workaround which works on 'some' devices. You can word it as a temporary unroot or root hidden, or whatever you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wrong, once again.

You DO NOT need to reboot the phone at all. I certainly didnt. It is one click, the phone is then TEMPORARILY unrooted (or the root is hidden - whichever way you wish to word it, makes no difference really.) And then another click roots it again or takes it back to how it was before.

Exactly how it is on my SGS2.

Soldato
Wrong, once again.

No one is disputing this, but there is a clear and easy workaround which works on 'some' devices. You can word it as a temporary unroot or root hidden, or whatever you want.

Unrooted = not rooted, I'm not sure why you are even trying to dispute what I'm saying. You cannot run Sky Go on a phone that is rooted until you've unrooted it again either permanently or temporarily. No matter what you call it or how you dress it up you are 'unrooting' the phone - why is that so difficult to understand? :)

And I did have to restart the two devices I installed it on to unroot - HTC Flyer and SGS2 with an old VillianROM. What are you running it on? I can see how it would be much more useful if you didn't need to reboot, but I did and I know a lot of people on XDA did as well. It's not just one check it does for root so obviously in some cases it looks for something that lives in memory which could suggest a rooted phone.

If no reboot is required for some of you guys then a nice wrapper script to unroot/run Sky Go/then root again would be cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unrooted = not rooted, I'm not sure why you are even trying to dispute what I'm saying. You cannot run Sky Go on a phone that is rooted, whether you've unrooted it permanently or temporarily. No matter what you call it or how you dress is up you are 'unrooting' the phone - why is that so difficult to understand? :)

And I did have to restart the two devices I installed it on to unroot - HTC Flyer and SGS2 with an old VillianROM. What are you running it on? I can see how it would be much more useful if you didn't need to reboot, but I did and I know a lot of people on XDA did as well.

If no reboot is required for some of you guys then a nice wrapper script to unroot/root again would be cool.

Samsung Galaxy Note here, on stock rom.

My phone IS rooted, I have full root access as I type this. Yet with one click on OTA rootkeeper, Sky Go also works. Yes it 'temporarily unroots' my phone, some on xda forums word this as ROOT HIDDEN but who really cares what they call it? Bottom line, Sky Go works. If I had to restart my phone everytime, that is definitely a big inconvenience, thankfully though, I don't have too.

Back
Top Bottom