Im looking to upgrade. currently plan to stick with my low budget case, perhaps you can change my mi

Soldato
Hi guys

Ive got this awful case, like in the link below (i take it google shopping links are ok?)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=x+....,cf.osb&fp=90a248b4e21803e3&biw=1467&bih=675

same as the top lot but in blue and silver (obviously i threw away the psu in about a week after i bought it and leanrt the first thing about pcs lol)

so this case has been with me for the last 4 years. its seen 3 serperate motherboards, 2 different sets of ram, 2 new gfx cards (didn't come with one) and 1 new cpu from what it came with. Ive added a 120mm exhaust + a 92mm intake, + Ive cut away the empty slots where the cd reader would go, and added an extra 80mm fan there!

so as you can imagine the case looks even more tatty than it did to start with, which is impressive considering how bad it looked stock!

tbh, i think the cooling is ok since my mods..... but Ive got nothing to compare it to.

after selling the following components

c2d e6600 + mid range aftermarket HSF
4GB DDr2 800mhz 5-5-5-18 corsair xms2
gigabyte ep45-ud3rl
powercolor 1Gb gddr5 HD4870

i can upgrade to the following for +/- £300!

2500k (or 3570k if that turns out good)
cheap z68 mobo
8GB ddr3 1600MHz
HD 6950
cheap (£30) cooler

so my question is, you think i should keep the case? or do you think a new one would add to this build? (bare in mind if its above £60 then i could get a 64gb SSD which is probs more important than a fancy case)

:D thoughts?

Permabanned
Ive got this awful case, like in the link below (i take it google shopping links are ok?)

Prob not, youre just linking to lots of competitors instead of one, just stick the name of it to be safe
I'd say youre better getting anew one personally, something like the BitFenix Shinobi at £50 would be a good investment

Soldato
OP
im sure it makes sense yet i cant justify the extra money when im so tight on the price of the guts :(

i keep having these crazy ideas about how i need to replace all the fans and i need to have a h100 cooling the cpu, when infact a 2500k/3750k @4.5GHzish on a cheap Zxx mobo will be an awsome upgrade from the old tech ive come from.

ahhhhh i dont know.

Soldato
OP
go for something like this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-010-BX&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=

or this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-016-FD&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=

that case you have just now is horrible and I would never reccomend you keeping it the two cases that I said are miles better and are only a little over £30

LOL! yes its boardering on disgusting, and i assure you that;

1. it looks much worse in real life

2. my errrr tastfull mods, while improving air flow have detracted from the tacky plasticy aesthetics it one had :p

ok, your sir, have possibly convinced me to increase budget an extra £30ish (10%!) :D they look ok for the money

Soldato
Be aware the second one is mATX only, and not aware of many (if any) Z68 boards which are mATX so you may have to skip the Fractal

Asus z68 Pro-M and the Extreme-Z Gene 3 I think are both mATX.

I have to agree though, it is something that you wouldn't want to really be confined by, so I wouldn't get a mATX only case.

I'd definitely say the Shinobi is the best option, maybe the Zalman z9.

kd

Back
Top Bottom