• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

24 pin MB Connector Burnt!

Associate
OP
I was only browsing the internet when it shut off, so there was no great load on it.

This was when I first noticed they were burnt, since then I cleaned it up and replugged it in through an extender and it runs 3 cards fine, but the 12v rail is low, could be a damage PSU

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm,
I was tempted to get another 470 for tri SLI untill I read this thread.
I dont have a molex on my MB to help power my graphics cards :(

I'm using a Gigabyte X58 UD5
At the moment my 470s are volt modded and overclocked to within an inch of their life & under water.

Soldato
Gonna add myself to the 'fermi burning on the dancefloor' list. My sig rig blew at the weekend during a bf3 session.

HX1000
Gigabyte x58 extreme
i7 950 @ 4.2
2x 480's

I had about a month earlier, removed a gtx 460 that was sitting in the 3rd slot as that was starting to cause the system to lockup when used (cuda/physx).

24 pin is melted badly around the 12v, motherboard plug is in a similar state. Along with the yellow wires, which have also gone black.

Got my machine up and and running with a pci graphics card but anything, even a x1300 in the pci-e slots = no post.

Had the motherboard since 1366 was launched, 480's since they were launched. Had a pair of 5870's, 4870's & 8800gtx's before that.

Not sure what's next, new 1366 board or sb-e/wait for ivy?

M18X is still reasonably quick in the mean time but still. Bit of a shame. :(

Soldato
Not sure what's next, new 1366 board or sb-e/wait for ivy?
(

I would get a new motherboard and possibly replace the ATX plug on the PSU.

Right now those incredible drool worthy Gigabytes (Assassin, Guerilla and SOC (the orange one) are available for around £120ish if you look hard enough. I actually saw the SOC one (orange) at another site for around £100 dead even.

Repairing the PSU is easy enough. Just buy a 24 pin extender (can get a nice braided one if you like) then cut back the PSU's wires so you cut out all of the burnt part and then solder/shrinkwrap the wires on.

Soldato

Right now those incredible drool worthy Gigabytes (Assassin, Guerilla and SOC (the orange one) are available for around £120ish if you look hard enough. I actually saw the SOC one (orange) at another site for around £100 dead even.

Repairing the PSU is easy enough. Just buy a 24 pin extender (can get a nice braided one if you like) then cut back the PSU's wires so you cut out all of the burnt part and then solder/shrinkwrap the wires on.

It has to be worth repairing the motherboard ?

I would just cut the connector away and remake with direct soldered wires to the burnt pins (providing they clean up) Use something like split copper/brass tube and insert the wire and lightly crimp then lightly crimp to the cleaned and "tinned" pin then solder...It will be bomb proof ! and Your choice of in-line connector to the psu ;)

Soldato
Out of interest how long has this setup lasted before the failure ?
Had the motherboard since 1366 was launched, 480's since they were launched. Had a pair of 5870's, 4870's & 8800gtx's before that.

It seems assassin & oc feature the much needed pci-e power plugs. However the oc has a measly 2 usb 2.0 & no spdif. (not even a header)

The assassin seems to cost an arm and a leg wherever I look. :(

Caporegime
Hmm,
I was tempted to get another 470 for tri SLI untill I read this thread.
I dont have a molex on my MB to help power my graphics cards :(

I'm using a Gigabyte X58 UD5
At the moment my 470s are volt modded and overclocked to within an inch of their life & under water.
Aside from the op and Greebo, iirc Arcane on the forums had the same problem with sli gtx 470's and an 850w psu. Its made me a bit wary of overclocking my gtx 470's too much, my psu is a corsair hx 850. Motherboard is an asus p6t dlx v2, no extra molex connectors on the board. But i can remember asus s939 sli boards having theese extra connectors, as i used sli'd 6800gt's on one of theese boards.

Soldato
It seems assassin & oc feature the much needed pci-e power plugs. However the oc has a measly 2 usb 2.0 & no spdif. (not even a header)

The assassin seems to cost an arm and a leg wherever I look. :(

That's because of the tat bolted on it mate. Killer G1 NIC for example (blows a big raspberry).

The OC one (orange and black) is the champ IMO. Even the Guerilla has some needless pants attached.

Soldato
Will retest when I get my RMAed PSU back and keep an eye on the connectors, why does it still work, when its all melted I want to know?

Because only the plastic has melted. Not the metal.

And I wouldn't plug a known working new PSU into it.

That metal that has gone black has now degraded. That means it's not making good contact with the pin on the PSU. That means as power gets drawn through it you are sparking and that is what created the black in the first place.

You'll simply wreck another perfectly good PSU.

I would either repair it yourself first, or get some one else to.

Soldato
Not a bad idea. Personally I would opt for the OC and put up with the USB and lack of spdif.

You need to remember it was designed for one thing - overclocking. Put under DICE or LN2 and having its balls clocked off. So whilst it may lack in certain features it certainly doesn't in the bit that matters, being stability and the amazing power stages.

Edit. Also consider the Assassin was a £399 board. So around £160 is peanuts.

Edit. Just found the OC for £119.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom