Stratford Road Project (100 Strangers)

Associate
I really love this project and would very much like to do something similar myself or even just the 100 strangers type project.
I think I would find it difficult to just randomly walk up to people especially in Glasgow, what's your approach? Do you look for people who are not especially busy, waiting for a bus etc or do you just stop random people who are walking around and look a bit interesting?
I keep looking at the photos and just can't help but enjoy the colour you get with your processing gush, gush, in before let me have your babies etc.

Edit; Do you add all the people you photograph to the blog or do some not make the cut? How do you find out where people originate? Is it a set question if you like or does it just come up in conversation? I was thinking about it and I imagine myself saying "Have you always lived round here?" and ending up sounding a bit like I'm saying "Go home, foreigner".

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazing project, kudos for doing it. I actually live just off the Robin Hood island and drive up and down the Stratford Road every day, although I rarely walk on it so you're unlikely to catch me :D

Associate
OP
I really love this project and would very much like to do something similar myself or even just the 100 strangers type project.
I think I would find it difficult to just randomly walk up to people especially in Glasgow, what's your approach? Do you look for people who are not especially busy, waiting for a bus etc or do you just stop random people who are walking around and look a bit interesting?
I keep looking at the photos and just can't help but enjoy the colour you get with your processing gush, gush, in before let me have your babies etc.

Edit; Do you add all the people you photograph to the blog or do some not make the cut? How do you find out where people originate? Is it a set question if you like or does it just come up in conversation? I was thinking about it and I imagine myself saying "Have you always lived round here?" and ending up sounding a bit like I'm saying "Go home, foreigner".

Well I'd say think of a project that is useful to other people, not just yourself. It doesn't need to be documentary like this but I don't see the point in just collecting an arbitrary 100 portraits of people (or pretty young girls as many 100-Stranger-ers do).

Then think about how you will persuade people to be part of it. Remember they are giving you something for free, you need to show them they will get something of similar value back. Mine is fairly simple and I tell people it's part of a social document/time capsule of who uses the road today, which should be interesting for future generations. The conversational skills should develop over time (or not in my case) but have a few questions prepared. If people have a foreign accent or name they're not going to be offended by you asking about their origin.

One sticking point for many people is having the photo put on the internet. Legally I don't think you need their permission (adults at least) but it's kind of a dick move to be shifty about it so ask and if they say no either respect that or try selling the concept better (i.e. if it's not on the internet people won't see it).

With regards to who to photograph this will depend on your project. I try and keep it varied but representative. Asking people at bus stops can be good and bad, on one hand they're probably bored so any distraction is good. On the other hand they may be thinking more about missing their bus or their bus arrives and it's all a bit rushed. I generally just walk the streets and stop people who look interesting or might say yes.

I include everyone I photograph in the project, hence a few dodgy out-of-focus photos and heavy crops. Only one person has later contacted me and asked that their picture isn't used, which is lucky because it was a bad photo. As a side note, rather than taking people's details I give them a slip with the blog and my email address. In future projects I would probably take some form of contact from them though.

Amazing project, kudos for doing it. I actually live just off the Robin Hood island and drive up and down the Stratford Road every day, although I rarely walk on it so you're unlikely to catch me :D

Well honk if you see a skinny guy with big hair and a D700 w/prime!

Associate
This typology needs to be exhibited! The tate modern last year had a big section dedicated to typologies, not sure if the exhibition is still running but I spent many an hour in there. My favourite typology has to be James Mollison's ape series http://www.jamesmollison.com/project_apes.php I shall make time tomorrow to read these peoples stories see if stereotyping really clouds my judgement.

Associate
OP
Here's a slightly different update to the usual: I've been taking environmental shots to try and give context to outsiders. These aren't 'street' photos and have generally been the most difficult part of the project but I think they have a certain consistency, something I've been looking to improve. On with the show.

Sparkbrook to Springfield

Hall Green

Shirley

There are a few more sets on the blog roll but they're not as good.

Flickr sets.

Associate
Seeing as you be using a 50mm you need to step back a bit and maybe get the whole person in with some background or even the background out of focus. Easily done with a 50mm. You got some Excellent images but all are a muchness as they say.
Good Luck.

Associate
OP
Well I've reached 100 people, I'll do a few more posts on the blog analysing the loose data I've gathered. It's been good though, and I'm starting to promote it in various local blogs and so on. Next up we'll see if the newspapers or even local galleries like it.

Best viewed from the blog:

Hall Green and Shirley – 02/03/12

Hall Green – 23/03/12/

1144 - Michael by Rob Gilbert, on Flickr
-134 - Nikki by Rob Gilbert, on Flickr
-231 - Steve by Rob Gilbert, on Flickr
1061 - Mark by Rob Gilbert, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom