• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

24 pin MB Connector Burnt!

Soldato
Looks like it's the x58 oc board + a good usb hub, I'll repair the x58 extreme and hx1000 connectors and keep the old mobo as a backup. Forgot my dac has usb in, might as well use that.

Cheers for the help ALX. :)

Soldato
No worries man. And colour me very envious indeed !

If I wasn't stuck with a case that only takes MATX I would be strongly fighting myself not to order one of those :D

Soldato
Whats the best way of cleaning the mb pins up?

400 grit wet&Dry paper, but you will go through the plating so it's best to then make a direct solder connection.

The fact where having this discussion indicates you might be better off taking the board and a case of Beer around to a mate with some basic electronics skills ;)

Hope you get it sorted.

Soldato
400 grit wet&Dry paper, but you will go through the plating so it's best to then make a direct solder connection.

The fact where having this discussion indicates you might be better off taking the board and a case of Beer around to a mate with some basic electronics skills ;)

Hope you get it sorted.

^ That.

Don't play with electronics unless you know what you are doing. Insurance companies are very careful before paying out :D

Soldato
Yeah but its a bit heath robinson, and its only worth RMA'ing the board if you can get one with extra molex power connectors for the pcie. I was pleasantly surprised when Asus had rev'ed mine with the extra molex, its been running fine for years now with quad GTX470s in fact its lasted longer than the cards (had to replace two of them during that time)

Hang on, is it the Rampage II Extreme? That has two extra power molexes on it already!

One where I circled, but one also at right angles on the bottom just above where it says Asus
rampageIII.jpg

The Rampage II Extreme does not have any molex's for the pci-x slots.

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/10/early-look-asus-rampage-ii-extreme/overview-l.jpg

Soldato
Came across this thread by mistake.
Interesting reading though.
Points of note;
resistance of a metal conductor increases with the temperature of said conductor.
pins in a 24pin ATX connector are rated 6A each
400 series cards are PCI-e 2.0 so should not draw more than 75W per card from the slot.
Now, 3*75W [email protected] alone will overload the 24 pin ATX connector, without adding extra load from any other 12V draws on the board (Rampage2 has 8 fan connectors doesnt it?). Also assumes that the 480 has the required regulation to stop it drawing more than 75W from the PCI-e slot when overclocked (I would not be surprised if it creeps up, at least a little) It should be the case that you can ignore the 8pin EPS12V connector as that is meant to be solely for the use of the cpu.
So, the problem is bad (not poor bad, since this is meant to be an enthusiast board it should be able to deliver the power correctly) motherboard design. The PSU most likely started to fail because if the 24pin connector gets hot enough to melt then the resistance increases, in which case the current going through it reduces and the PSU probably started to fail, understandably. Although to be fair the PSU should have shut down before things melted (it shouldnt allow more than 12A@12V on the atx connector since it has only 2 12V pins)
I would suggest keeping a very close eye on it if you are continuing in your current config, either mod the board, get one of those EVGA PCI power things or hope your new PSU is tighter (I could go into what that means but it would take a while :p)

Soldato
I ran a few basic tests before I shipped my hx1000 back to corsair on the new x58-oc.

One additional pci-e power connector does the job for 2 way sli but adding the gtx460 back in as well caused both atx and the pci-e sata plug to get slightly warm. Using both I had no temp rise on the cables. Was able to draw 1.1kw at the mains (everything fully overclocked and loaded) without a single problem. Just one heck of a lot of heat and noise.

I'd strongly advise looking for boards with pci-e power connectors if planning 2+ gpu setups. Or buy custom edition cards that take as much power from external connectors rather than via the slot.

FWIW, the pci-e power spec allows 75w if you are v1.1 compliant and 150w if you throw that compliance out the door and stick with v2+. A potential 300-600w depending on number/power of cards though the slots seems mad to me.

Associate
i also had 2 gtx 480 in sli and had the pin burn, i bought a pin removal tool and 2 spare male 24 pin end connectors and pin sets you will also need a crimper.

pop each pin out 1 by one snip the old one off and crimp the new one on and pop it into the same hole on the new end.

you end up with new non melted and brittle end and a nice new contact area with no semi connection issues.

parts cost about £25 in total ( pc pin release kit does all types of connections 2 sets of male connections and male plugs and proper wire crimp/strip tool )

just go on that popular auction site and search for ATX Power Connector 24Pin Male incl. 24 Pins and PC Modding Pin Removal Tools

Soldato
FWIW, the pci-e power spec allows 75w if you are v1.1 compliant and 150w if you throw that compliance out the door and stick with v2+. A potential 300-600w depending on number/power of cards though the slots seems mad to me.
V2.1 for extra power from the PEG slot. From memory I cannot think of a single proper V2.1 motherboard (though I am happy to be corrected), they all seem to use v2.0 slot but included the optimisations from V2.1 that would be carried forward to V3.0.

Soldato
what on Earth do people use triple GTX 480 for? or dual GTX 580, in normal usage that is just a waste of graphical power surely?

on a more topical note, no OCZ power supplies aren't bad, in-fact in my experience they tend to be the complete opposite, this one is solid as a rock, nice and shiny and weighs an absolute ton, had OCZ power supply before that was well, was solid as a rock, never gave me a single problem.

120 fps on 120hz monitors with all the bells and whistles on in the latest games like BF3 etc. Playing 3D at 60fps per eye in the same games.

Numerous more examples if you need more lol

Associate
Hi guys

It happened twice with me, i lost 2 nice psus and a rampage III extreme, the last time was yesterday, i still don't know if my board this time has gone, i need to test. But i saw here that i should buy a new one even if it still works right?

Why it happens? I have a [email protected] 2 GTX 580 SLI and a coolermaster 1000w gold psu, can be the OC or something related with my home energy? Second time in about 1 year

If i need to change to a new mobo i would buy a new processor, was thinking about a 3700k, what do you think? Do not wanna overclock anymore, what psu mobo and processor do you recommend?

Sorry for my poor english, i'm from Brazil

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys

It happened twice with me, i lost 2 nice psus and a rampage III extreme, the last time was yesterday, i still don't know if my board this time has gone, i need to test. But i saw here that i should buy a new one even if it still works right?

Why it happens? I have a [email protected] 2 GTX 580 SLI and a coolermaster 1000w gold psu, can be the OC or something related with my home energy? Second time in about 1 year

If i need to change to a new mobo i would buy a new processor, was thinking about a 3700k, what do you think? Do not wanna overclock anymore, what psu mobo and processor do you recommend?

Sorry for my poor english, i'm from Brazil

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Yes, go sandybridge or ivybridge and you will see good performance improvements. I think also besides the CPU needing 30% of the power the boards have newer PCIex which help with the power distribution over the older specification.

Associate
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Yes, go sandybridge or ivybridge and you will see good performance improvements. I think also besides the CPU needing 30% of the power the boards have newer PCIex which help with the power distribution over the older specification.

Should i get a coolermaster 1200w psu or 1300w psu, just have coolermaster to choose

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom