***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Associate
Can anybody with the OTA update take a screenshot of the about screen? I installed using the factory image so want to check if the build number etc are the same.

I'm worried now that if there was to be another OTA update I won't get it as i'm on a different version.

str

str

Soldato
You have nothing to worry about. The factory image is the same as the OTA update and if another update is to come you will get it.

Man of Honour
Here's how you can force the update:

1 go settings/apps then hit the all button at the top
2 Scrll down to goggle service framwork then press it to open it
3 Hit the clear button
4 go to settings/about phone/System updates the date will be 1969 or 1970 this is ok
5 Hit the check button
6 nexus should now show update to 4.0.4 is Available
7 hit install and enjoy

Please note this may take a few attempts but will work :p

Took me at least a dozen attempts!

Associate
Saw this method over at xda.. took me around an hour of clearing and checking for updates. Now on 4.0.4 :)

edit:

New features i noticed:
1) There's a "Dock" option above "Date & Time" - looks like they will finally be releasing the official accessories that use the 3 pin
2) Holding the power button gives a new menu
3) General speed improvements. Recent Apps show up faster. Screen Rotation sensitivity is a lot better

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's how you can force the update:

Took me at least a dozen attempts!

Cheers, I saw yesterday people with Xooms used this to force the update. Didn't think it would work for Gnex.

Worked the second time for me just now.

edit:

HTC One X at £440 is quite tempting considering that the second hand price of the GNex has recently risen to £300.

I'm gonna wait and see if a few of my concerns are eliminated by this update first. Slow multitasking, poor video stabilisation, low volume, slow camera app+autofocus.

The first and last are particularly annoying. I've heard the One X has some video recording issues as well.

All my niggles have been fixed and the camera app is much improved, although autofocus still isn't great.

Sunspider 0.9.1 has gone from ~1950ms to ~1850ms for me as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks,
Just done it and its downloading first time! :D :p

##EDIT##
Installed.

Doesn't feel that much quicker to be honest, just the times when its occasionally stuttery, are almost gone.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey chaps,

Got the upgrade available this morning. Got a couple of questions before I proceed. The other week I rooted my Nexus and insatlled CWM recovery, being realtively new to android (moved from iPhone) is it safe to use OTA updates while rooted? Are there any additional steps that need to made before I apply the update while rooted?

Thanks for any info you have.

Last edited:
Associate
No OTA for me.

You tried the cache clearing method?

1 go settings/apps then hit the all button at the top
2 Scrll down to goggle service framwork then press it to open it
3 Hit the clear button
4 go to settings/about phone/System updates the date will be 1969 or 1970 this is ok
5 Hit the check button
6 nexus should now show update to 4.0.4 is Available
7 hit install and enjoy

Please note this may take a few attempts but will work

Back
Top Bottom