Employment advice

Hey,

We've got a team leader position going here and we've known it was coming up for several months. After being made redundant from the position 18 months ago they've bought the position back so i've been working my way back up to it.

I've been doing 60-70 hour weeks, mostly hours outside of work times and not charging for them. Working my backside off and everyone I know feels that the position should be mine.

However the big manager says that he has spoken to 10+ of the 30 people I would be looking after and some said I have favourites so he's not even going to interview me for the position. Now, it's rubbish. I treat everyone the same and the only thing I can think is that some one the 'problem' employee's that I have to keep telling off have swayed things. Either that or he is talking **** again and making it up, something we've caught him out on before.

Does anyone know any way I can find out who was spoken to? Any employment law that means he has to tell me who it was? I know if you get a bad reference from a previous employer then you have some ground to stand on.

I want to find out exactly what was said because if indeed they feel there is a problem I can work on it, if they don't tell me how can I? I also want to find out if he did indeed speak to anyone.

Any help gratefully received.

One of the best tools for managers to use in selection or and review of their reports or possible reports is to use a 360 degree feedback loop.
You ask people that are above, at the same level as and below the person. You will get some differences in opinion but you should get a picture. Eg a classic **** licker will likely get poor reviews from their same level and below but really good from above. Its an imperfect system but it gives some views to consider.
Looks like he has done this in a way, maybe you can ask for feedback from people above, who if your any good and working hard will say you are doing so.

Soldato
as soon as you go above him if you get shafted ie hes liked more than you your ******

it sounds like a **** place to be . so maybe look elsewhere as if thats short term hows it going to be when it happens with even more time and crappola down the road
not really, if you keep a diary with the dates of meetings etc then if things do deteriorate after speaking up it may be possible to show victimisation.

Soldato
what sort of caompanies have you worked for, Ive worked at some of the largest global organisations and currently work for a smaller but still significant global and can tell you there are loads of conditions for usage of this type of activity.
Over the last 10 years I've worked for some of the largest global companies (and organisations) you can think of, both here and in Germany. However I didn't say it doesn't happen - of course it does. Fortunately I'm currently working for a company that embraces social media and in a position to help influence decisions like this and if any 'IT person' like edscdk added a fake DNS entry then they would have more of a problem to worry about than being caught looking at Facebook.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
no phones on desks?
no facebook?

you say you treat them like adults yet come out with this?

sounds like your lvl 1s are bored with their job and feel stagnant. if they are your responsability, maybe you should get into upscaling their skills so they can work towards being lvl 2.

I have no idea how you think you can criticise other peoples opinion of you. Regardless of whether they are good eggs or not, they wouldn't have a consistent unified opinion if it wasn't true.

Maybe you should look at the way you run the lvl 1s and see how you can improve your leadership skills instead of blaming others while putting yourself on a pedestal because you seem to be taking this harder than what it is.

We work in an environment where a) they have access to personal data of our customers and the phones are seen as a security risk by the company and 2) it's a job where there is no off time, they have 1 hour of breaks in their 9 hour shift they can use for facebook, if they use it during their shift it does effect their productivity.

And like many of the rules, such as no facebook, it was brought in due to the minority that ruined it for the majority. At one point some employee's were spending 4-5 hours a day playing scrabble.

These are rules that have been brought in by managers well above my head and it is part of my job role to make sure they are being followed or it effects my bonus.

And their opinion isn't a unified one, judging from my last 360 review out of around 30 staff only 3 made comments about having favorites. I am also the only lvl 2 that has offered training to lvl 1's for the 3 new lvl 2 positions becoming available. It's also me that has been trying to bring back the groups we had where they had extra work outside of their normal job role to give them a bit of variance, as well as the chance to work from home as a bonus system for hard workers.

not a dig as such more along the lines as if you see telling folks off as part of a role then maybe you are looking at things the wrong way, you should be encouraging a better attitude and developing a better work ethic, telling folks off is never going to be a management technique that will work, telling golks off just generates resentment and a "us and them" culture

I get you, my job role is set out by the very person that has told me that I won't get the position and dealing with discipline is very high on the list. I don't tell them off like a kid but it is more like a simple "Can you take your phone off your desk" or "come on, back to work". The problem is that everywhere I've worked previously has been very professional, we were allowed the freedom to do what we liked but none of us took the mickey and worked very hard. The field I am currently in seems to attract a mixture of people, the majority are like me, can have a laugh now and then but always gets the work done. Unfortunately it also attracts some very childish people, for instance: 1 lad wrestling another in the middle of the floor, 2 blokes trying to kick a wasp trap from the ceiling, 1 lad pinning a girl to the floor and tickling her and drawing ***** on her face. How would you deal with that without saying "stop****ing about and get back to work"?

I am all for improving my management technique, I've been doing that for 6 months building bonds with other departments and improving my communication (the one area my boss thinks I needed to improve although no one else does).

The reason I want to see exactly what was said and by who is so that if I feel the complaints are warranted I can sort out the issue. The problem is not that I am unwilling to change/improve if needed but more that I feel it's being used unfairly as an excuse, if it even happened at all and the boss isn't just making it up which we know he has done before.

The point of the thread was not to rant about being given the chance, but to to see if there is anyway I can make them give me the feedback so that if I need to, I can work on it. :)

Last edited:
Associate
no phones on desks?
no facebook?

you say you treat them like adults yet come out with this?

sounds like your lvl 1s are bored with their job and feel stagnant. if they are your responsability, maybe you should get into upscaling their skills so they can work towards being lvl 2.

I have no idea how you think you can criticise other peoples opinion of you. Regardless of whether they are good eggs or not, they wouldn't have a consistent unified opinion if it wasn't true.

Maybe you should look at the way you run the lvl 1s and see how you can improve your leadership skills instead of blaming others while putting yourself on a pedestal because you seem to be taking this harder than what it is.
I'd say 90% of call centres operate a no phones on desk policy for client protection. I know the place i currently work doesn't allow it due to contracts it holds....

Over the last 10 years I've worked for some of the largest global companies (and organisations) you can think of, both here and in Germany. However I didn't say it doesn't happen - of course it does. Fortunately I'm currently working for a company that embraces social media and in a position to help influence decisions like this and if any 'IT person' like edscdk added a fake DNS entry then they would have more of a problem to worry about than being caught looking at Facebook.

Interesting, all the globals I have worked for, in fact all the companies I have worked for and all my colleagues (I say that as we were discussing it recently) have had similar social media policies.

Does you employer have an IT policy (can't believe not) and what does that say?

Permabanned
just because the managers above you have ruled it, doesn't mean it makes it right.

you need to balance responsibility with productivity. The ones that can't do that need to go. I can understand if people are spending 4-5 hours on scrabble, surely you have monitoring set in place to see this happening and can therefore act upon it.

But restricting the majority is only bringing them down to the minorities level and will only make everyone else feel even less competant/unhappy/skilled/responsible, which I bet everyone there wants.

as a programmer I have great responsibly and deadlines, but we try not to promote team leaders/managers here. We are all trained to be at the very best and know as much as possible even if it's above our level. Through responsibility, project management, time keeping and meeting staff expectations of the company we "choose" to do our job professionally instead of being forced into a dictatorship (which admittedly all businesses are but not at this level we are referring to).

If employees can't work in an acceptable manner, they either have to go or the company is doing something wrong and if your company is penalising the majority I can only assume it's the latter

Soldato

The company you work for is in the minority, most companies acknowledge FB/twitter as the productivity parasites they are :p

Caporegime
You stuck in 60-70 hour weeks voluntarily?

You absolute mug! He saw you coming from a mile off!

Also - what's with the attitude of you "telling off" other employees? Speak to them like adults and you might find they'll respect you more, and not complain when asked if you'd make a good boss! :p

Back
Top Bottom