Probotector on the Megadrive

It was run-and-gun genre, 4 choosable characters with 4 weapons unique to each of them. There was a 2-player co-operative option too. What I liked about this game was that it was boss-after-boss, with very little grinding and repetition inbetween, if at all. Levels 1, 3 and 4 were the same each time you played them. There were 2 level 2's depending on what path you chose for that, 2 level 5's depending on what path you chose for that, and thus you had 4 permutations for level 6, each with their own end-game boss. There was a secret ending / boss on level 3 as well. A lot of replay value for a game.

Did anyone else play this little number from 1994/5? And hmmm, how come most people on the net call it Contra? Makes it very hard to find articles about Probotector as there are numerous games called Contra. Anything similar now for the PC? (don't have any consoles)

Soldato
Loved (love) this game. It's called Contra because that's the name it was given on the NES and SNES. Probetector was the Mega Drive version.

When I first played it I hated it because you died as soon as you got hit but after a while I got better and it became one of my favourite mega drive games.

Don't think you'll find any sort of games like this for the PC :(

Soldato
OP
I don't think I completed it alone either, but the 2 of us in co-op mode did manage to complete all 4 endings and the secret ending. It kept us occupied all of 1995, good times.

Although it's hard to find a Sega Megadrive nowadays and the right kind of TV to connect it up with, I know that one of my friends has a contemporary console that offer Sega games to play inside that console via connection to the internet. It was either a Playstation 3 or one of the Xboxes, can't remember. Anyway, it would be grand to get Probotector by means of that.

Or PC game ports even. I bought a CD-ROM a few years ago for £10 that contains all of the Sonic games, playable on a PC via a Sega joypad (USB version).

Man of Honour
Amazing game but I could never complete it. :(

To hijack the thread - I bet a billion pounds that you didn't complete dynamite headdy then. I refuse to believe that anybody has completed that without an emulator / save function. It's all nice, fun and enjoyable then just becomes insane.

Probably one of the worst difficulty curves of all time!

No.

Soldato
Used to love the game back in the day playing it endlessly. Tried it a while back and kept dieing so couldnt get on with it. Getting old now and spoiled by life bars/regeneration nowadays. :p

Soldato
Probotector is the silly European name for Contra: Hard Corps.

I as well was never able to complete this game.

Nothing that I know of that is similar for the PC, but if you have a Xbox 360 or PS3, grab Hard Corps: Uprising. It's basically a prequel to this.

Soldato
Loved (love) this game. It's called Contra because that's the name it was given on the NES and SNES. Probetector was the Mega Drive version.

When I first played it I hated it because you died as soon as you got hit but after a while I got better and it became one of my favourite mega drive games.

Don't think you'll find any sort of games like this for the PC :(

I thought only the UK (or Europe) version was called Probector. The US and JAP versions were called Contra. I think also Probector had robots but Contra had men as characters.

Soldato
I thought only the UK (or Europe) version was called Probector. The US and JAP versions were called Contra. I think also Probector had robots but Contra had men as characters.

Correct. Super Probector is the EU name, Super Contra is the US/Jap name.

Soldato
OP
Yes, it was definitely robots in Probotector. Red guy, blue guy, big wolf guy and the little one that could double-jump that had that yo-yo weapon. He was the one I used the most. My mate would play the big guy and use that weapon that you charged up and the damage it did was insane.

If your Sega joypad only had the ABC buttons, it was a bugger to change between shots I & II because it was easy to accidentally set off the bomb. If you had an ABC-XYZ joypad though, then you could just press X to change shots.

Associate
My mate and I played it on the SNES and it was called Super Probotector. We always played it, definately one of the best games I played as a kid. Loved it! I always liked the levels when you were flying. Struggling to remember now tho, were you motorbikes at one point aswell?

Good, although vague, memories. Time to get the SNES from the loft!

Soldato
My mate and I played it on the SNES and it was called Super Probotector. We always played it, definately one of the best games I played as a kid. Loved it! I always liked the levels when you were flying. Struggling to remember now tho, were you motorbikes at one point aswell?

Good, although vague, memories. Time to get the SNES from the loft!

Sort of hover bikes if I remember right. I think that was the third level (Mega Drive version)

Associate
It was run-and-gun genre, 4 choosable characters with 4 weapons unique to each of them. There was a 2-player co-operative option too. What I liked about this game was that it was boss-after-boss, with very little grinding and repetition inbetween, if at all. Levels 1, 3 and 4 were the same each time you played them. There were 2 level 2's depending on what path you chose for that, 2 level 5's depending on what path you chose for that, and thus you had 4 permutations for level 6, each with their own end-game boss. There was a secret ending / boss on level 3 as well. A lot of replay value for a game.

Did anyone else play this little number from 1994/5? And hmmm, how come most people on the net call it Contra? Makes it very hard to find articles about Probotector as there are numerous games called Contra. Anything similar now for the PC? (don't have any consoles)

I've been wracking my brains trying to remember what this game was called, many thanks. I really enjoyed playinng this game during my childhood, and your right none of it felt like a grid, just an enjoyable well paced game!

Soldato
To hijack the thread - I bet a billion pounds that you didn't complete dynamite headdy then. I refuse to believe that anybody has completed that without an emulator / save function. It's all nice, fun and enjoyable then just becomes insane.

Probably one of the worst difficulty curves of all time!

No.

Dynamite Heddy was a brilliant game for its time and was the last Mega Drive game I bought as I remember the PS1 came out shortly after.

I never completed it myself either, the game got progressively harder and harder and the bosses more ludicrous and epic. Great game.

Back
Top Bottom