BT Socket?

Soldato
Guys

I know I'm not suppsed to touch it but I think mine is faluty, pings of 1500+ and dog slow net, plug into the test socket and pings go to 25-27 and snappy net is back

If I call BT will they charge me to swap the plate? Or should I just buy one off the bay and DIY?

If I DIY is there a better socket I can buy and install

Many thanks

Mart

Associate
An I-plate from BT would be a decent replacement. Last house I lived in had one installed and it improved the net speed nicely. Oh and do it yourself, no point paying BT to do it.

Soldato
OP
An I-plate from BT would be a decent replacement. Last house I lived in had one installed and it improved the net speed nicely. Oh and do it yourself, no point paying BT to do it.

Can this be purchased online?

OK found what I need, looks like it all just plugs/screws into the front of the master socket :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually BT line responsibility ends with the test socket. What you stick on as the master front plate is up to you. Best to avoid BT to do it though, it's just two screws to fit.

Soldato
OP
iMacMart just sent you a message in Trust.:)

Nothing yet will keep an eye out

Actually BT line responsibility ends with the test socket. What you stick on as the master front plate is up to you. Best to avoid BT to do it though, it's just two screws to fit.

I'm colour blind so wiring isn't a strong point of mine :) but a couple of screws I can manage

Soldato
On a related note, does anyone know where you can get replacement screws for the faceplate on the NTE5 socket?. I removed mine when decorating the living room and lost the damn things.

Bought a packet from a high street electrical and PC component retailer that looked the same but they are too big and wont screw into the thread on the socket. Sounds like a daft question I know but I cannot for the life of me find these anywhere. :confused:

Soldato
iMacMart will post this afternoon.

That link for screw is wrong I think, the screws are smaller than M3.5 I believe.

Will include some M3 screws for you to try as well foc.:eek:

Last edited:
Associate
If your master socket is one of the older ones with machine screws they are M3 sized, the newer ones use some thin self tappers.

Associate
Guys

I know I'm not suppsed to touch it but I think mine is faluty, pings of 1500+ and dog slow net, plug into the test socket and pings go to 25-27 and snappy net is back

If I call BT will they charge me to swap the plate? Or should I just buy one off the bay and DIY?

If I DIY is there a better socket I can buy and install

Many thanks

Mart

ofcourse you can touch it! Just don't a) short the two wires, b) avoid contact with bare cable. I've asked at least 2 BT engineers, they say 3 things (the stated a) and b)) and c) don't break it cause it will cost you a call out to fix it.

BT engineer installed socket two weeks ago. 15 min after *she* left, relocated the master socket, I have a star configuration you see and the master socket I've hidden where I have my NAS server and routers in a wardrobe.

If you call them to replace socket it will cost you unless you take broadband / fibre from them in which case they will do it for free.

Maybe find an official openreach plate on fleabay? i.e BT iPlate

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom