Old games that look worse than you remembered

Associate
Goldeneye definately, was playing it the other day with some mates. The game mechanics are solid for an old game but the graphics are definitely showing signs of serious age.

Man of Honour
OP
Sometimes it made me think Far Cry was made for CRT's. The game looks so washed out compared to most games and the draw distance is shockingly terrible. Nothing starts rendering until you're in a specific area.

Try the 64bit version, that extends the draw distance.

Personally I think Far Cry looks pretty much as I remembered, still got it installed and it was one of the games I used to go back to after upgrading to crank up the settings further. Used to be an issuing running with HDR and FSAA at the same time but now we have FXAA which helps.

I can see what you mean about it looking washed out though, have a play with the rendering modes (e.g. Cold, Paradise etc)

Soldato
Midtown Madness 2! I upgraded to a GeForce 2 many years ago, and this game looked incredible afterwards :D I used to play it as a kid, with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 steering wheel, ooh yeah :) I still know the whole map for this :D I must've spent 100's of hours playing it.

Associate
While the old HL engine may look like ****, I still rate it as one of the best of all time in terms of fluidity and responsiveness... which is why I still enjoy playing TFC.

^^ Wow@Midtown Madness. I remember that game being so crisp and shiny.

Soldato
Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Underground 2 still looks great imo, Most Wanted looks quite rubbish :(.

GTA3 and Vice city ( SA still has a bit more details).

Tbh, I think most strategy games have aged well, I have no problems with how games like Age of Empires 2, RA and RA2, Civilization, Settlers 3&4, Pharaoh, etc look.

Side platformers look fine too imho, Pricne of Persia, Commander Keen 4, etc, still look fine imho.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Battlefield 1942 have aged badly :(. Forcing Anti alias makes it a bit better @ BF1942 but still not great.

Mafia, in the rural area's looks funny, the city area has aged too but doesn't look ''that'' bad yet, but the rural area's really look rubbish for these days haha.

Far Cry looks quite bad, only the water is still ''very nice'' , but the draw distance is, well erm appalling.

Star Trek Bridge Commander, especially the people look appalling, ships look okay ish and modded ships look great, but the officers/npc's/etc look absolute rubbish.

Associate
The Secret Of Monkey Island on the Amiga though this has had a revamp to update the graphics and stuff, it now has a complete voice over for one thing. I finished it the other and loved every minute of it :D

Stoner81.

Soldato
Yeah, thing is with the ps1 though, before those days of 3d cards.

Soon as you eye'd a voodoo running in a pc, ps1 became software mode.

A few games in the day that were great at the time as a visual treat on the ps1, you look back at a blocky mess. Vigilante 8, the original colin mcrea, even the first gran tris.

Anything from the voodoo era up for me is playable for me, just steping it back to early 3d stuff pre the 3d card, it's a hard sell with a lot of stuff. Saving grace would be that a lot of the stuff that is generaly has a sequel/update down the line.

Soldato
Mafia 1 has lost a little of its charm recently for me, probably only in the last couple of years or so have I noticed though so it can't be that bad!

I really need to play JSF again, just to see how that works out. I remember it being really good though.

Soldato
I think we should have a retro screen shot thread where people try to make old games look as good as possible, heck this thread could become one!

Soldato
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena - I remember buying the second title which came bundled with Butchers Bay only it had been upgraded to the new graphics engine... it looked shockingly bad. I just could not understand how this was released AFTER Crysis!?

On the flip side, I played Doom 3 last year and the graphics still look impressive even by standards 6 years later.

Man of Honour
It's the N64 era games that look the worst now. Try playing Ocarina of Time, go to the hyrule market and make out what is going on. I dare you!

Soldato
I have had a rose tinted hardon for a game called constructor for a few years now.. found it on an abandonware site last weekend, installed a dos emulator and booted it up... game ran in some shocking res like 320 x 260 ... closed it before i even got past the menu screen :(

Back
Top Bottom