IT Support Mishaps

Soldato
I've accidentally shut servers down plenty.
Prior to me the preovious IT monkey had everyone working off TS, but he'd not disabled the 'shutdown' button in GP. So when certain users left for the evening, they hit the shutdown button.....and pee'd no end of people off.

My fave personal ****-up is that i often leave a usb drive attached to one of our servers. I remote in from home, do some maintenance, reboot the server, but cos i'd not changed the boot order in the bios it's trying to boot from the usb drive. :rolleyes:
I've since installed iLo. Luckly i only live 2 miles away from work.

Soldato
Unintentionally distributing prohibited material is still distribution of prohibited material...

*Edit*: I meant restricted not prohibited.

it wasn't unitentional distribution, or any other kind of distribution, it was some spotty virgin from PC Fail who was simply enraged after snooping around someones photo's,that someone was getting action and he wasn't...............

Data recovery does not = invasion of privacy, this is the main reason why so many IT support people are labelled as dickheads.

Soldato
Had one happen to me last week.

Worker had an issue with his machine, so we took it down to give it a look. To find various pictures of "Miss Millwall" who was indeed bang tidy. Upon return I said, "Miss Millwall is gorgeous, shame the football team are terrible" Hes not looked me in the eye since.

Associate
Racking a Blade Center the other day.

Thought the network modules were just 4 ports that would create a trunk by standard.

Turns out they are layer 2 switches, so started looping data and disrupting spanning tree, spent the afternoon tidying up my own mess and facepalming...

Soldato
I've seen someone configure a server as the default gateway address a few times now, therefore screwing up arp caches and bringing down a rather large amount of services. Oops.

Don
I once imported a file from company A into company B's system. I almost threw up when I realised what I had done, a phone call and half a day's downtime later, all was well :)

Soldato
Oh, and seeing someone install the wrong policy on to the wrong checkpoint firewall is always good for a laugh, especially when you suddenly can't get on to it to troubleshoot as a result (which is why I don't like using policy targets). :/

Soldato
I've not done anything completely retarded, but a few months ago I accidentally moved some mailboxes onto the wrong server and nearly caused the log drive to run out of space.

Luckily my colleague was on the ball and caught it before it did, as it was occuring over a weekend. Not made that particular mistake since.

Also when we fail over Exchange clusters we generally run the Stop-ClusteredMailboxServer command then just restart the node, all the resources move over, then we run Start-ClusteredMailboxServer. In the case of one of our clusters I forgot it was a CCR cluster and not a SCC cluster so this did not work so well as it was missing logs it needed. We only have one CCR cluster so in my defence it was just me being stupid.

In the end one of the databases would not mount and I had to run Restore-StorageGroupCopy to force it to mount with one or two logs missing. Learnt my lesson there too :D

Considering I log onto all servers all day long I have never shut a machine down instead of logging off. My colleague did though and I ripped him for a bit (in good spirits ofcourse, could happen to anyone!).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We have a network device monitor supported by another contractor, which is set up to look at a single gif on a single web page to report whether any of 15 different web pages are up. Cue the customer requesting the one web page they report on to be taken down, and then run around screaming for half a day during an enterprise level release weekend trying to fix a problem that didn't exist.

I hot swapped a power supply unit in our server, not noticing that the other psu wasn't plugged in.

oops..

That's not called a hot swap :D

Caporegime
Hrm, wouldn't a file recovery tool have quite an easy time of recovering the "blanked" disk in that case? Or does it effectively zero the drive?
Don't really know what level Clonezilla works at but PhotoRec or TestDisk (can't remember which one I used) found most of it but I wanted to make sure I had everything back so sent it off to a data recovery company.

Associate
I had a fun one last week as well.

"My Outlook isn't working"
Run through the usual diagnostics then remote onto her computer to take a look. Lo and behold its there in all its glory on the second screen.
"Turn your second monitor on".
"Oh, do I need to do that?"

I did laugh a bit afterwards.

Soldato
OP
I had a fun one last week as well.

"My Outlook isn't working"
Run through the usual diagnostics then remote onto her computer to take a look. Lo and behold its there in all its glory on the second screen.
"Turn your second monitor on".
"Oh, do I need to do that?"

I did laugh a bit afterwards.

Ahh, I get plenty of these!

Got a call once at 9AM...

Client: Hi, I've just logged on and there's a red cross showing on the shared folders, can you take a look please.
Me: What happens when you double-click it?
Client: Its working now! That was quick, thank you so much!

:rolleyes:

:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom