UEFA Champions League/Europa League 24/25/26 April *** Spoilers ***

Associate
I'll be behind Chelsea in the FA Cup final and Champions League final then, all the best to them. :p

I hope Chelsea get humped in CL final and as for FA Cup Final, can i go for both teams not to turn up and some team who isn't a complete bunch of *FULLY STAR SWEAR WORDS* win it?

Didn't think so :)

Associate
3 I think, and 4 for Chelsea.

They should do a deal so all come back bar John Terry, it would make it better me thinks.

And Rangers should do a deal that lets them get away with being cheating b******s the last few years? What if JT had been last man in semi with messi clean through in last min, knowing he can't be banned. Simple decision. I Know he would probs do same anyway to make sure team get to final but it's a total nonsense to say card should be reset for final.

Soldato
Two pretty poor teams, Chelsea 25 points behind their domestic leaders, Bayern 8 points behind theirs, real lack of quality in both sides, could easily seeing it finishing 0-0 and going to pens again

We don't have anything to fear from Bayern. Bring them on, we'll have a cracker. :D

Surprised by these comments, Bayern might not be winning their league, but every time I've seen them this season in the Champions League they've looked excellent. Ribery in particular could destroy any team, add Gomez and Robben to that and well, I'd say there was definitely something to fear... oh, and they're at home :(

Having said all that, rather them than Real Madrid.

And what on earth has finishing league position got to do with the quality of a football game... seriously?

Caporegime
First half was great entertainment and Bayern dominated but had a bunch of players not really playing well, second half onwards was pretty abysmal, no quality from either team, no good possession, few good shots, some terrible passing, and capped off with terrible terrible penalties.

Said about 20 mins from the end, Ronaldo would miss a penalty, he could have scored a penalty taken them into a champs league final and got his hattrick...... which just made it feel like it had no chance of happening.

I thought Bayern in general even in the first half passed backwards, and delayed the pass far too often and in the second half/extra time almost every chance to pass someone forward quickly was ignored. Half of extra time they barely looked like they wanted to win the game. Gomez's movement and general play was awful, much like Barca there was too much of a lack of attacking the ball. Robben put in two great crosses, Lahm at least one, where Ribery ran near post but around the penalty spot, Gomez stood still near the edge of the box where if either play attacked the far post there was a tap in waiting for them.

Kross was awful, Ribery was awful, Robben had his moments and surprisingly worked quite hard defensively, Ribery did very little closing down, very little defensive work, very little passing, very little of anything and most of what he did do(hog the ball and refuse to pass till it was too late) he did very badly.

Di Maria was too busy diving, Ozil was too busy being a big girls blouse, Ronaldo got two goals but from then on got too little of the ball and few options in the box when he did. Kaka did nothing, Khedira/Alonso did very little.

Real do this too often, against a poor side the Khedira/Alonso thing works out, against sides which defend better the lack of a really decent offensive/creative central midfielder hurts them too much. If Ozil was more powerful, more dynamic and ran into the box to get on crosses/knock downs and sometimes drive into the box with the ball the team would work so much better.

Soldato
And Rangers should do a deal that lets them get away with being cheating b******s the last few years? What if JT had been last man in semi with messi clean through in last min, knowing he can't be banned. Simple decision. I Know he would probs do same anyway to make sure team get to final but it's a total nonsense to say card should be reset for final.

Missing a final through a build up of yellows needs to be addressed, cynical Red Cards (and violent conduct) is another matter entirely though

Caporegime
Chelsea could easily beat this Bayern side, they're really not that good but they will be on home turf so that could be the swinger for them

Pretty rubbish final in truth tbh

Is that some kind of joke? Bayern have quality throughout the squad and heap load of young talent. Chelsea have Mata.

Associate
Jeez what a bunch of moaners we have become. Semi finals and finals of major comp tend be cagey and a bit dull to be honest. A cursory glance at European Cup Final results and World Cup Final results will show you just how many 1-0s there have been. It's about dealing with the occasion at that level and doing enough to get over the line.

The two semis were absolutely wonderful viewing in my opinion, maybe not 90 mins of gung ho football but it was absorbing with periods of crazy excitement. Of course there were periods that didnt match up but by and large they surely rank as being up there with the very very good semis of the past.

Soldato
Surprised by these comments, Bayern might not be winning their league, but every time I've seen them this season in the Champions League they've looked excellent. Ribery in particular could destroy any team, add Gomez and Robben to that and well, I'd say there was definitely something to fear... oh, and they're at home :(

Having said all that, rather them than Real Madrid.

And what on earth has finishing league position got to do with the quality of a football game... seriously?

It's not that hard to work out is it? If neither team are at the pinnacle of their domestic league then the quality of player on show and the quality of play isn't going to be what it could. This is the Champions League final we're talking about not your standard run of a mill cup final.

Dont get me wrong this isn't me saying that neither team deserve to be there because both Chelsea and Bayern deserved to beat both Barca and Real respectively but I just see it being a final that lacks any real qualty (Mata and Robben being the two stand out players imo)

Also how after tonight anyone can come on here talking up the supposed quality of Gomez and Ribery genuinely baffles me (and certainly in the latter's case tonight wasn't the first time I've been well and truly left wondering what all the fuss is about).

Soldato
Not sure what Tom was expecting Bayern going to Real. Very hard place to go and they got a result albeit from pens. Was never going to be a master class.

That's the thing though Bayern dominated possession, it was a very good performance up until the final third when the lack of quality from Ribery and Gomez was there for all to see. Bayern should have won tonight's game comfortably with the openings they created.

It says a lot that in the final third the LB for Bayern looked their best attacking threat.

Soldato
It's not that hard to work out is it? If neither team are at the pinnacle of their domestic league then the quality of player on show and the quality of play isn't going to be what it could. This is the Champions League final we're talking about not your standard run of a mill cup final.

Dont get me wrong this isn't me saying that neither team deserve to be there because both Chelsea and Bayern deserved to beat both Barca and Real respectively but I just see it being a final that lacks any real qualty (Mata and Robben being the two stand out players imo)

Also how after tonight anyone can come on here talking up the supposed quality of Gomez and Ribery genuinely baffles me (and certainly in the latter's case tonight wasn't the first time I've been well and truly left wondering what all the fuss is about).
what are people smoking? Ribbery played **** tonight

Soldato
I don't feel sorry for Jose, he'll probably win it with Real in a year or two (presuming he stays); his Inter team went out of the CL meekly a couple of times before it all clicked and they got that bit of luck as well. He should still win his first La Liga title and then he just has to make a few good signings and they'll be back in contention. Madrid were gash in the CL in recent years, up till he came in and any team that makes the semi's 2 years running and keeps their best players whilst adding more quality is eventually going to go all the way.

Also, penalties are ****, but unless you want them to play until someone scores or everyone is too exhausted to move, there's not many other options I can think of.

Soldato

You know, Messi has a bad game last night you know, does that make him **** too?

Ribery has had an excellent season with goals well into double figures and 20+ assists, his performance against RM in Munich was superb and he's generally considered to have had his best season to date. Gomez has scored 40 goals... 39 last season. Yeah, those stats are shockingly bad.

Have you never seen a great game between 2 mid-table teams? It happens every week in the Premier League. What we actually have here though are two talented teams, both in great form in Europe, both considered to be one of the best teams in their respective leagues. It certainly isn't the quality of the two teams that makes a game dull. It will more likely to be the pressure of the occasion and the tactics of the managers.

I'll tell you what is hard to work out, your logic!

Back
Top Bottom