Is Hayes, Greater London a dodgy place?

Soldato
For what reason?

Thanks for the help people, it is very much appreciated.

Ealing has better transport into the rest of London.

It also has some generally nice areas outside of the Ealing Broadway area. Nice bars, cafe, etc. I never got the feeling Hayes had any of that.

Then again i'm from Hounslow. Baghdad and Homs would seem like a nice place to me.

Soldato
I work at the bottom end of Hayes, just past Hayes & Harlington station. It's generally fine but when we walk into town to grab some lunch, there is a distinct lack of native Brits walking around. I am a foreigner myself so I have no room to talk, but you asked and I'm telling.

The top-end of Hayes, near the Beck theatre, is quite nice.

Are you moving there because you got a job with a certain Hayes-based IT hosting company?

Wow! small world! Do you happen to work for a an investment bank at the bottom of Clayton Road?

Man of Honour
I lived in Hayes for about 6 months. If It's any indication, I broke my lease early at considerable cost to get out of the place. I absolutely hated it. I never felt safe walking anywhere, especially at night and going to a bar for a pint was a mission. I went out for a drink in the local area 3 times and was threatened with a stabbing twice. And starting from about 4pm every day the entire area smells of curry.

Soldato
There can be confusion, There is a Hayes in Kent, and a Hayes & Harlington in Hillingdon, the latter I deal with every day due to my commute from London E14 to Hayes & Harlington, which others may consider hairy.

Soldato
I wouldn't walk around Hayes town at night but there are some nice spots a little further towards Yeading such as near the Marina. There are some decidedly dodgy parts of Brentford but have a look if you can find a reasonably priced place in Osterley which is lovely near the park.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't walk around Hayes town at night but there are some nice spots a little further towards Yeading such as near the Marina. There are some decidedly dodgy parts of Brentford but have a look if you can find a reasonably priced place in Osterley which is lovely near the park.

I lived right beside the marina and there was a murder 20yds from my doorstep :p

Soldato
I lived right beside the marina and there was a murder 20yds from my doorstep :p

Blimey, I've not heard about that! I remember a while ago you mentioned that you lived quite close and you couldn't wait to get away. I'm not surprised if that happened! I haven't had any trouble around here whatsoever in five years apart from the damn foxes! The neighbours are very friendly too.

Last edited:
Soldato

Murders happen all over London, I work there, do not live there, but I work a lot of night shifts, and I am never put off from the high crime rate, to walk into the town centre to buy dinner. But it always seems there notices around the town centre from the police asking people to come forward if they were present at a certain time. Also, Hayes has far more than its average share of Somalians!

Man of Honour
Blimey, I've not heard about that! I remember a while ago you mentioned that you lived quite close and you couldn't wait to get away. I'm not surprised if that happened! I haven't had any trouble around here whatsoever in five years apart from the damn foxes! The neighbours are very friendly too.

That was early 2006, so going back a while now. The area up by Glencoe Rd and the marina looked nice and there were quite a few decent professional people living there but the scumbags did seem to visit regularly.

Soldato
Hayes IMO is a total ****hole. Move to Ealing, its got a much better vibe to it in terms of places to eat/drink. I lived in Uxbridge for 2 years and that was ok, but some of my friends lived in Hayes and regretted it. The only good thing about it is that its close to Southall if you want to go for a curry.

Soldato
What's so bad about Cowley? I put in an offer to rent a place there on Friday. Seems like a nice, quiet residential area away from any chav-attracting high street. The flat I'm looking at is next to the Grand Union canal in a cul-de-sac, so it is fairly remote and secluded.

Commissario
Everywhere has its good and bad areas and it goes in cycles.

When I lived in Perivale, Hayes was generally a very nice area and Ealing tended to be an utter hole.

*shrug*

Soldato
I spent many years living in West London, albeit a but further in (Barons Court) and spent a fair amount of my free time out west.

Personally, I would not want to live in Hayes. Whilst all areas have good and bad parts it has more bad parts than good. Plus it is not on the Underground, which will eventually bug the hell out of you.

Depending on your budget there must be some other options out there. Acton is certainly somewhere I would rather consider.

Soldato

Osterley is nice, it's where my mum lives. Less than a minute walk from the gates of the park :)

Back
Top Bottom