The "Post your pictures here" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm guessing the toned BW preset in LR and then manual tweaks for contrast and levels? Looks wicked! My custom preset used to give that look in LR3 but LR4's updated algorithms meant I had to redo all my presets and they just don't look exactly the same any more.

Need some time spent on it :(

Soldato
Yup totally agree, cracking shot. Rojin any tips on B&W processing?

I'm guessing the toned BW preset in LR and then manual tweaks for contrast and levels? Looks wicked! My custom preset used to give that look in LR3 but LR4's updated algorithms meant I had to redo all my presets and they just don't look exactly the same any more.

Need some time spent on it :(

I had the same issue, the custom preset I made in LR3 didn't translate into LR4 very well. I'm getting there, I've now got a starting point which I tweak for each picture. I'm on the iPad at the moment, I'll be away with work until the end of the week so I'll add more info then. Basically though:

It's using the 2012 settings in LR4:
Highlight slider is pushed up to around +20%
Shadows are pushed right down probably -90%
Whites are at 0
Blacks are around -20%

Curves are something like:
Highlights slightly raised
Lights raised a bit more
Darks just a bit less than lights
Shadows slightly raised

I've added a slight tone (just went by eye for what I like)
No sharpening or noise reduction as default.
I also added a slight vignette.

Now the above is purely a starting point. I might find that I raise the shadow slider for an image and drop the curves dark instead etc. It all depends on the image...

Basically I just hammer the hell out of the sliders until I find something I like, then save as a preset! :)

Associate
7131707897_8d567d66ea_c.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I do believe I have managed to suss out my LR3 BW custom preset this late evening after smashing those sliders back and forth and vaguely getting the preset back to how I remember it!

_MG_8325-Edit.jpg

_MG_8327-Edit.jpg

_MG_8293-Edit.jpg

_MG_8294-Edit.jpg

_MG_7930-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

_MG_8268-Edit.jpg

^This one needs a bit more range to throw the BG out a tiny bit further, I could 'Shop some bokeh in but I don't favour that method. This is where that new Tamron 24-70 would have come in handy :p

In the same sense though I quite prefer using the 50 as it allows me to get up close to grab a shot of someone and if it's a funny moment I can laugh with the subject instead of just being an observer - Kind of 50:50 situation!

Last edited:
Soldato
We have a timelapse thread but those seem okay. Nice and smooth. Flickering annoys me though. Timelapse is the reason I got into photography but I've not been able to try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom