**** Original Starcraft 2 Thread ****

Associate
Being a low level player i know i dont really count in balance discussions but storm has always been the thing i have feared the most to the point when i also feel its win in 12 minutes or give up

I could never deal with storm. I often go heavy bio and it just seems so powerful. It can take out so many units in one go. Saying that my micro is poor at best!

Associate
I went storm in a recent tvp, he managed to get a good read on it and went cloaked banshee as I didn't have a robo up at that point and then I had to just go and try attack because he was just going to kill everything.
So I ended up loosing so there are defo ways to beat it

Permabanned
I went storm in a recent tvp, he managed to get a good read on it and went cloaked banshee as I didn't have a robo up at that point and then I had to just go and try attack because he was just going to kill everything.
If you die to cloaked banshees then you weren't prepared properly. A sky terran transition though is based on the element of surprise as a lategame transition. It's a bit like dying to mass DTs, if you have the proper detection you'll be fine.

i havent played this for 6 months, has anything exciting happened or been changed recently?
Biggest changes recently are the ghost snipe nerf and the introduction of some tournament maps which are incredibly fun to play on (Daybreak!)

Associate
I tend to play as either terran or zerg, don't really like Protoss that much.

Whenever I end up with a TvP match up a little part of me just cries, as I see it my options are:

a) Open with 2 tax and try to catch toss being greedy with a fast expand.
b) Go for the classic 111. I find toss are slowly getting better at countering it these days, often using phoenix to harras + lift tanks when it comes to engagement.
c) Lose

Im high Platinum and only really lose on a regular basis to toss. To be honest I think I'm just going to stop playing as I just lose every game :(

Associate
i havent played this for 6 months, has anything exciting happened or been changed recently?

Terran's been nerfed several times (some of which I admit was necessary)
Protoss has received several buffs (notable upgrades made cheaper)
Ghosts are now near useless in TvZ
Terran has to win before 12mins in TvP
Protoss players still hate mass muta and mass roach
No-one buys mutas in ZvT anymore
New maps which are much better, however the team game maps are still terrible

That's abt it. Some points were a bit exaggerated.

Yeah but he basically just got lucky that you weren't prepared, and that can't be relied upon in the higher leagues. That's not a counter, it's just a fluke.

I played a TvP today which might be worth a watch for some people so here's the replay http://drop.sc/169702. I pulled waaaay ahead at one point and then in one engagement my army just melted to chargelots. It seemed ridiculous to me in the game and it still does when I watch the replay. I've still no idea why I deserved to lose that. (not saying I played perfectly, just that I played no worse than my opponent). I was 50 supply ahead for crying out loud.

Associate
I do/did, :p if a terran is busy wasting macro on turrets whilst I mince his army with banelings, happy zergling I am. :D

...well if you've spent 2000/2000 on mutas he only has to spend maybe 1500/0 on turrets, so it's hardly a waste is it?

Was a time, 8/10 zergs went mass muta, now it's only about 1 or 2.

Permabanned
Terran's been nerfed several times (some of which I admit was necessary)
Protoss has received several buffs (notable upgrades made cheaper)
Ghosts are now near useless in TvZ
Terran has to win before 12mins in TvP
Protoss players still hate mass muta and mass roach
No-one buys mutas in ZvT anymore
New maps which are much better, however the team game maps are still terrible
Ghosts are great against ling/infestor. I played a game the other day where I sniped about 10 morphing banelings and I just walked into his base like "No ****s were given today!"

Mass Mutas aren't that much of a problem for Toss unless they're caught off guard. I remember the daily Day9 did for them and it was the same way I'd been dealing with them for the past few months. There is a critical mass though for Mutas which is nearly unbeatable without Storm.

Muta ling bling is viable in ZvT. Especially against Mech as the only Anti-Air is the slow-ass Thors.

I played a TvP today which might be worth a watch for some people so here's the replay http://drop.sc/169702. I pulled waaaay ahead at one point and then in one engagement my army just melted to chargelots. It seemed ridiculous to me in the game and it still does when I watch the replay. I've still no idea why I deserved to lose that. (not saying I played perfectly, just that I played no worse than my opponent). I was 50 supply ahead for crying out loud.

Chargelots refuse to die when they get upgraded XD

Associate
I tend to play as either terran or zerg, don't really like Protoss that much.

Whenever I end up with a TvP match up a little part of me just cries, as I see it my options are:

a) Open with 2 tax and try to catch toss being greedy with a fast expand.
b) Go for the classic 111. I find toss are slowly getting better at countering it these days, often using phoenix to harras + lift tanks when it comes to engagement.
c) Lose

Im high Platinum and only really lose on a regular basis to toss. To be honest I think I'm just going to stop playing as I just lose every game :(

Well, you're never gonna improve at a matchup unless you play it. Try a standard 1 rax expo, into 3 rax, 1 fact (unused), 1 port. You want two tech labs and one reactor on the rax, and a reactor on the starport. Push at 10 minutes with stim and conc when your first two medivacs come out, while starting your 3rd CC building as well as two more rax. I find that this is a pretty weak time for protoss as a lot of them get too greedy with tech. There's almost nothing the toss could have at that point which would crush your push, so the worst outcome is that you trade a few units then pull back. If this happens, just do a drop in the main and try to snipe probes/tech buildings/pylons. Once your 3rd is up, throw down another starport and several more rax, and a ghost academy.

If the game gets past the 15min mark and you haven't done some damage, then this is where I start struggling. I'm coming round to the idea of doing roughly a 2:1 mix of marines and maruders, supported by some hellions, a good number of medivacs, and a raven or two. Add in ghosts/vikings depending on whether the enemy has more HTs or collossi. The hellions help a lot vs chargelots and obviously the PDD from the raven negates stalkers. As long as you get a good angle and target down the collossi, the enemy's army will pretty much melt. HT are more of a problem and it comes down to the usual "whoever EMPs/feedbacks first wins" coin toss.

Hope that helps. I find it hard to follow my own advice though and TvP is also my worst matchup in late game (early/mid game it's my strongest by far).

Associate
Ghosts are great against ling/infestor. I played a game the other day where I sniped about 10 morphing banelings and I just walked into his base like "No ****s were given today!"

Zergs never get detection unless they see banshees lol. It's great fun just casually walking some cloaked ghosts straight into the enemy army and EMPing all their infestors :D. Bit of a gamble though, obv is gg if they do have a broverseer.

Chargelots refuse to die when they get upgraded XD

The retarded thing is that I was also ahead on upgrades :mad:

Permabanned
Let me tell you about Reaper Expand. All that greatness of a 1rax expo but with faster gas and the possibility of a few free worker kills :)

1 rax gasless FE is viable in all match ups but it takes practice to handle 1base aggression builds.

It's funny you say coin toss because against a Toss army it's never a coin toss XD hehe

Zergs never get detection unless they see banshees lol. It's great fun just casually walking some cloaked ghosts straight into the enemy army and EMPing all their infestors :D. Bit of a gamble though, obv is gg if they do have a broverseer.

The retarded thing is that I was also ahead on upgrades :mad:

Most Zergs higher up get it just incase. I had a few games yesterday where I went double starport cloaked banshee and outright won just for the lols.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, the reaper expo is on my list of builds to learn. I don't have enough hours in the day to play the amount of SC2 I'd like to :(. I only get in a couple of hours a week so it's hard to actually practice and improve. Still fun though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfIVf49zXA#t=518s

If you want lolz, try this :). It looks awesome. Imagine if Ketroc had pulled about 10 probes to repair the PF.. what would the zerg have been able to do?

Permabanned
Yeah, the reaper expo is on my list of builds to learn. I don't have enough hours in the day to play the amount of SC2 I'd like to :(. I only get in a couple of hours a week so it's hard to actually practice and improve. Still fun though

If you want lolz, try this :). It looks awesome. Imagine if Ketroc had pulled about 10 probes to repair the PF.. what would the zerg have been able to do?

XD I've watched that daily before and it's hilarious. I wonder if Day9 has done one on Proxy Hatches. I've seen a ZvP contain before where spines started to attack up the ramp using an overlord for vision.

Reaper expand is incredibly simple and it's my only build for TvT as it transitions into anything incredibly well.

Normal orbital build.
Tech lab on rax as soon as it's finished then build a reaper :)
Expand
4 marines into a bunker on the secondary ramp for early pressure.
Then go Polt Bio style which is two extra rax with CS and +1attack.

Or go transition to mech with a second gas :)

Soldato

If you like that, check out the Cannon rush daily, it should be on youtube soon, Part 3 features some awesome cannon rushes against Idra and some other masters players.

Permabanned
If you like that, check out the Cannon rush daily, it should be on youtube soon, Part 3 features some awesome cannon rushes against Idra and some other masters players.

It's already on iTunes in the podcast section for download :)

Idra... what a joke XD

Just got told by some guy on Ladder that as a Mech'ing Terran in TvZ that I don't have to do any micro and that's why I won. The guy had pure lings at the 15min mark and this was probably because I went in with 6 hellions at the beginning and killed ALL his drones.

Soldato
It's already on iTunes in the podcast section for download :)

Idra... what a joke XD

Just got told by some guy on Ladder that as a Mech'ing Terran in TvZ that I don't have to do any micro and that's why I won. The guy had pure lings at the 15min mark and this was probably because I went in with 6 hellions at the beginning and killed ALL his drones.

I had a game where i went your standard marine tank, my opponent had a huge roach army, he burrowed underneath me (detection is one thing i always forget when going mech) un-borrowed and started focus firing my tanks... i sat there screaming at my screen and ineffectively pawing at my mouse with an apm of about 20 to his 200.. my army won quite easily :D

Associate
I got BMed by a zerg yesterday cos i went marine tank medivac and slaughtered him. He said "terran so OP you only need to buy mass marines and autowin". This despite me actually having 3 types of unit and him only using 2 (ling ultra).

Also the fact that I had more SCVs than he had drones, even though I hadn't attacked him at all. (he crushed my first push with 1/1 lings)

And he didn't buy a single baneling or infestor, cos according to him "they don't work against marines", and "infestors are terrible".

And it was 21 minutes in before he took a 4th base. As zerg :/ I didn't realise my MMR had sunk this low.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I got BMed by a zerg yesterday cos i went marine tank medivac and slaughtered him. He said "terran so OP you only need to buy mass marines and autowin". This despite me actually having 3 types of unit and him only using 2 (ling ultra).

Also the fact that I had more SCVs than he had drones, even though I hadn't attacked him at all. (he crushed my first push with 1/1 lings)

And he didn't buy a single baneling or infestor, cos according to him "they don't work against marines", and "infestors are terrible".

And it was 21 minutes in before he took a 4th base. As zerg :/ I didn't realise my MMR had sunk this low.

O lord, don't worry. You get those kinds of people even in Masters and you think to yourself "How the **** did you get here?"

I've been doing a lot of 11/11 rax lately against Zergs for fun and there's quite a few times on 1v1 maps (Like Daybreak) where the overlord unfortunately passes by the best proxy route. I still win because they react badly and still try to drone up and then BM about terran being imba. =/

EDIT: Just to add, I got the Diablo 3 Collectors Edition for the SC2 Portraits. Dedicated is an understatement. XD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom