BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Still holding out on the BT fibre, my line will support up to 76mb down and 20mb but im a bit worried now reading peoples experiences with their line speeds and the last thing i want is to be told that i cant get that speed due to my line being rubbish and me being stuck in a 18mth contract paying £35 a month. Which seems to be happening with people here ie being told they can get 76mb down and 20mb up but finding in reality that they get 30-ish mb down and 10-ish mb up.

At the moment im paying £15 a mth with BE for 20mb down and 1mb up which ive had for a number of yrs and havent had any major issues ie line has been stable for me. Plus im not in a contract so can cancel with 30 days notice.

Hmmm decisions decisions...

Soldato
Still holding out on the BT fibre, my line will support up to 76mb down and 20mb but im a bit worried now reading peoples experiences with their line speeds and the last thing i want is to be told that i cant get that speed due to my line being rubbish and me being stuck in a 18mth contract paying £35 a month.

Don't forget there are plenty of us who are not having any issues - our lines work perfectly. We just don't mention it all time compared to ones who are having issues.

Associate
I'm not having any issues with my service, but that is mostly because I can't seem to persuade them to actually install it! Missed engineers appointments, order 'issues' and downright uselessness seem to be the order of the day!

Associate
Think I've finally got my connection sorted. I'd been using a cat5 cable running from the modem in the hall at the main socket up into my room to the router for the last year with no problems. 37Mbs solid. I don't know if it was the cable but I had a look at it and it was a bit knackered with some bad twists and a few nips here and there. Also my sisters laptop was getting higher speeds throughout with WiFi. It seems a bit of a coincidence with the migration though.

Long story short. Home plugs installed today and touch wood I'm hitting 37Mbs again.

Happy days:)

Soldato
Used my infinity for a while now, by far the best Internet service i've ever had, faultless, always fast, hasnt dropped out once.

Soo happy to kick ADSL to the kerb.

Associate
Used my infinity for a while now, by far the best Internet service i've ever had, faultless, always fast, hasnt dropped out once.

Soo happy to kick ADSL to the kerb.

Same here. Coming from an ADSL connection that would plunge to sub 1 meg speeds depending on the weather/direction of wind. I can only say Infinity is brilliant.

I've had it since July and the only issue I have had is when I had some building work done and the power dropped out quite a few times over several days, DLM kicked in and lowered my speed slightly but within a few days it was back to normal.

tl;dr Infinity is ace, don't switch the modem (or the Home Hub off EVER) :D

Soldato
Did anyone else who swapped over to the faster infinty receive an email about applying for the SamKnows Broadband Performance Measurement Study, in association with Ofcom? I filled it out and today have been accepted, not sure if it's worth the hassle though, anyone ever done it before?

Yeah and got the speedtest and additional info link today so ran the test and just waiting to see now .......

:)

Soldato
Oh forgot to ask you two guys (without going back through the thread), what is your connection like since swapping over? I'm curious to see if anyone that's had issues gets an invite.

Well, seeing as I've had exactly zero improvement since the upgrade and I've been invited, it doesn't look like they're cherry-picking :)

Associate
Just placed my order for bt infinity option 2, Currently on 4.5mb and says i can get 67 so will wait and see! Just waiting for BE to pull their finger out and deliver my mac code so my order can progress!

Btw anyone going off what it says on the date you will be activated, dont take any notice of it as according to that i was 2 months away! but luckily i check it nearly every day lol and today it changed to available! Cant wait!

Associate
I've been getting unreliable O2 broadband speeds for the past month or two while I've been waiting with baited breath for BT Infinity via my exchange. Can't get Virgin Media cable in my area. Every time they would say another 6 months etc but then I checked this morning as I had yet another 'net rage' and it's now available in my area! According to my phone line, I should get up to 58.9Mb download and 20.0 upload. Doubt it will be consistently that fast but hey anything is better than the 5-6Mb I get atm!

So I'm guessing I have to:
1. Order BT Infinity
2. Contact O2 to cancel
3. Enjoy?

Also, we don't do P2P downloading anymore in the house. But we are a family of 5, and we are often streaming video, audio and I'm playing my MMORPGs which you know requires low decent latencies (<100ms). I also stream Sky Go a lot. I'm not sure 40GB cap is enough, especially since with super fast broadband I'm going to be streaming all videos in HQ now. I think I may pay the bit extra each month and go for unlimited?

Does the likes of RS and other non-Bittorent services count as P2P? It's not too much of an issue as I often leave downloading of anything overnight anyways such as reinstalling my MMORPGS.

Doesn't look like I can get Infinity 2, but hey anything is better than what I have to endure atm! And I live in London!

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone on ADSL24?

And if so what are they like latency wise and bandwidth available wise?

Their packages seem good. I prefer having an on peak cap and unlimited off peak since there's no traffic shaping.

Opinions!

Associate
I currently pay about £15 a month for BT line rental (although I thought it was £12-ish when I first signed up), and I've just spoken to a BT advisor who said I would have to change to a new package with the BT Infinity and line rental at £14.60 a month. It's not an issue really as I need that line rental anyway and I'm not paying anything extra compared to what I'm paying atm. Is this the case with everyone else?

The line rental saver at £129 for 12 months saves a bit of money but I don't have that much lying around atm so I'm happy to go for the £14.60 a month line rental option. At first when that was explained to me, I must have been thinking 'WHAT?!?! More hidden costs! :p'.

Back
Top Bottom