A mini rant

Soldato
But it's still ******** because he hadn't had a drink. Sure if they see his friends handing him a pint but if there are children running around and they haven't seen him drink any alcohol, they're being completely unreasonable asking for ID.

Look at the punishment for letting an under 18 drink. I really isn't unreasonable.

Caporegime
But it's still ******** because he hadn't had a drink.

Yes because pubs employ and extra 10 people to watch all customer 100% of the time :/

Most 17 year olds in pubs sneak a drink.

Sure if they see his friends handing him a pint but if there are children running around and they haven't seen him drink any alcohol, they're being completely unreasonable asking for ID

children accompanied by their parents and so are fine and are unlikely to fool bar staff if they try it on...

Soldato
Here's my story from the other day.

Was buying a 4 pack of beer and a bag of chocolate raisins for consuming whilst watching a film I had just rented. Got to the counter and was asked for ID by the checkout operator who hardly looked 18 himself! I'm well over 18 and hadnt shaved for a few days.

Because my wallet contains things called credit cards and I use such wonderful things to pay for food, I already had my wallet in my hands. I just turned to the page that had my drivers licence showing, we had a laugh about how I use moisturiser, I paid then left.

The beer was good and I didn't need to post about it as such things don't annoy me given how small they are and the checkout guys can get fired for not being 100% correct. People who get annoyed need to seek counselling! Takes 10 seconds to show ID so just buy a wallet with a clear section for your driving licence?!

Associate
I don't usually rant like this, but I'm pretty annoyed at the moment.

Was in the pub with a few mates earlier. I was the only one not drinking. One of the staff members came and asked me for ID, I told him I had no intention of drinking, but he said that unless I was over the age of 18, that he'd have to ask me to leave. All this while a few metres away there were little kids running around. :confused:

Then I went to a shop to buy some deodorant. The woman asks me how old I am and asks me for ID :eek:. I asked her why, and she said that she was unable to sell it to me unless I provided ID. At this point I could have flipped and used all sorts of expletives, but fortunately I kept my cool. According to her, because it's an aerosol can, I could be sniffing it. I have no clue how my ages comes into this (maybe a 17 year old is more likely to sniff deodorant than an 18 year old?).

I don't look young either, yes I'm of slight stature, but I have a beard etc.
I then asked my friend to purchase deodorant for me. He's 5 foot 1, and looks the same as he did when he was 12 years old. Instead of going up to the woman at the counter, he went up to the man, and was served and did not even get asked for ID.

Then in the past, when I've bought under 16 tickets for sports matches, train tickets etc, I've been asked for ID :mad:

Does anyone else find this absolutely ridiculous? To some extent, I can understand the pub situation, their logic was probably about me drinking on the sly or something.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just very annoyed at the moment :mad:

None of this will matter in 8 days though...

Shops are a pain...

Pubs - if your in a mixed group of legal aged teens it's a nightmare to keep track of who can and who can't drink. so general policy attitude is that if it's evening time and your trying to get served you might be asked to leave.... mates buying the rounds while you skulk in beer garden/corner.....

younger kids are blatent and left alone until the pub stops serving food. at which time it's bye bye kiddies...

Soldato
The other year, I was 25 years old. I was at a Wetherspoon's in Bedford, and was asked for ID whilst ordering a fried breakfast and a cup of tea...

I didn't have my driving licence, and so asked whether she needed to actually see it, and was told not to be smart or she would refuse to serve me at all.

A mate in the group (who was 17, for what it's worth) had to buy my breakfast for me... oh, the shame!

I still get ID'd and I'm 33. It's usually for alcohol, but I once got ID'd for one of those little sparky things that ignite a cooker hob. You know the thing with the squeezy handle and it generates a tiny blue spark to ignite the gas. You use it if the cooker's own ignition is bust.

Have to suck it up OP it's frustrating though.

I got asked for ID (didnt have any on me at the time) at wetherspoons at Gatwick airport with my 21 year old girlfriend, her 46 year old mother and her mums 43 year old boyfriend.

Aggressive short man syndrome server tried to snatch my pint off me when I couldn't produce ID ha.

Bearing in mind this was for a single pint and we was eating a meal whereby the law switches to 16.

Soldato
I'm 23 and still get asked for ID sometimes. Pretty much certain to get asked in supermarkets but it's hit or miss in pubs. If i'm out with shy mates it's ID time but if I'm out with other mates blazing drunk I get served no problem.

Soldato
Yes because pubs employ and extra 10 people to watch all customer 100% of the time :/

Most 17 year olds in pubs sneak a drink.

children accompanied by their parents and so are fine and are unlikely to fool bar staff if they try it on...

But they had no proof that he had drank or was attempting to sneak a drink. Therefore, it's unreasonable to kick him out for the sole reason of not being over 18, especially when there are kids running about.

Caporegime
But they had no proof that he had drank or was attempting to sneak a drink. Therefore, it's unreasonable to kick him out for the sole reason of not being over 18, especially when there are kids running about.

kids have parents and cant attempt to buy a drink, and it's their pub so it's perfectly reasonable to kick him out.

Back
Top Bottom