Best set-up for using one Sky/Virgin box for multi-rooms? Also Sky or Virgin?

Soldato
Hi,

So I am about to embark on a house renovation and was hoping for some advice.

We will have 4 main TVs:
- downstairs front of house;
- downstairs back of house;
- 1st floor front of house; and
- loft conversion.

We will have one Sky or Virgin Media box. We would like all the TV's to have access to Sky/Virgin media and be able to change the channel from whichever room they are in.

I've heard that this can be done wirelessly or wired. I've no idea which is better or how well they work. Any thoughts/opinions on that?

I've also heard that Virgin Media tends to not work well on this set up, du eot an issue with remote control commands?

I would be extremely grateful for some advice on how best to set this up.

Thanks,
R

Soldato
Sky is easier and neater to set up.

You just need a 4 way amp with IR return path and a magic eye for each additional TV. Feed RF2 from the Sky box to the amp (make sure the 9V is turned on in the sky box) and that will power the amp and run cables from there to magic eyes at each extra TV.

The Virgin setup is similar, but the Samsung V+ box turns off all standard output when using HDMI, except the VCR scart. You need to plug a TV modulator into this (I have a triax tri-link) via a good old fashioned scart lead.

This will then power the same 4 way amp and magic eye set up above.

The only wireless video senders I ever used suffered terrible interference from wifi and xbox pads, so we ditched them for the wired setup above. First Sky, then Virgin as I got a mates rates deal which halved my monthly cost so couldn't refuse.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks very much - one slight confusion is your use of the word "amp". i presume you don't mean an AV Amplifier/Receiver, but am not sure what you mean.

Thanks
R

Back
Top Bottom